ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Days for Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

farwailr
Newly Registered

Days for Citizenship

Post by farwailr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:03 am

Question from my brother in law :

His ILR approved on 29th Sep 2015 and he is preparing his application for citizenship.

Can he go to counter on 29th Sep 2016 and apply or he have to go on 30th Sep? Reason behind this is because he is planning to go abroad and booking airline tickets.

Regards

Casa

Re: Days for Citizenship

Post by Casa » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:12 am

farwailr wrote:Question from my brother in law :

His ILR approved on 29th Sep 2015 and he is preparing his application for citizenship.

Can he go to counter on 29th Sep 2016 and apply or he have to go on 30th Sep? Reason behind this is because he is planning to go abroad and booking airline tickets.

Regards
When you say 'go to the counter', I'm assuming you mean submit the application with the NCS.

Yes he can submit his application on the 29.09.16 as long as he was present in the UK on the 29.09.11

How long does he intend to be away for?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:13 am

He should be able to go to the NCS on 29th September.

Remember the requirement that he must have been in the UK on the same day exactly 5 years ago (3 years if spouse of a British citizen). So, he should have been in the UK on 29/09/2011 (29/09/2013 if a spouse of a British citizen).

EDIT: Beaten by Casa. Great minds think alike :)
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

farwailr
Newly Registered

Post by farwailr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks guys for your help. here is the updated timeline from him

Initial application Tier 1 made in UK by post - March 2010 - Approved Sep 29th

Extension application Tier 1 on PEO - 28th Sep 2012 - Approved sameday

ILR application on PEO : 29th Sep 2015 - Approved Sameday

He is traveling for 3 weeks

Regards

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:12 am

When it comes to naturalisation, the dates regarding the immigration process (which is a separate and unrelated process) are not that important.

Was his stay entirely legal, with absolutely no overstay?

Is he married to a British citizen?

Was he present in the UK on the specific dates that Casa and I asked you about? Get him to check his passport and verify that he was not outside the UK on those dates.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

farwailr
Newly Registered

Post by farwailr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:34 am

Simon thanks for prompt response just checked

My sister is not British Citizen so both of them are Malaysian nationals at time of tier 1 application.

Yes he was in UK when made the first application by post in March 2010. Though he did go for holidays next year after approval.

No overstay at all in all these years.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:52 am

secret.simon wrote:Was he present in the UK on the specific dates that Casa and I asked you about? Get him to check his passport and verify that he was not outside the UK on those dates.
There is a legal requirement for your brother-in-law to have been in the UK on the day five years before his application, otherwise his application will be refused. Get him to check his presence in the UK on the specific date.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:55 am

Assuming he intends to submit his BC application with the NCS on 29.09.16 was he present in the UK on 29.09.2011 :?:

Edit: Pipped to the post this time by secret.simon :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

farwailr
Newly Registered

Post by farwailr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:04 am

Yes he was in country on 29/09/10

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:46 am

Casa wrote:Assuming he intends to submit his BC application with the NCS on 29.09.16 was he present in the UK on 29.09.2011 :?:

Edit: Pipped to the post this time by secret.simon :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 pm

If the application is made on 29/09/16 by NCS, then the applicant must have been physically present in the UK on 30/09/2011
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:40 pm

WR1 wrote:If the application is made on 29/09/16 by NCS, then the applicant must have been physically present in the UK on 30/09/2011
Why?
The date of application is the date received by the NCS.
Postal applications, the date received by the Home Office.
(Casa, not CR001)

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Casa wrote:
WR1 wrote:If the application is made on 29/09/16 by NCS, then the applicant must have been physically present in the UK on 30/09/2011
Why?
The date of application is the date received by the NCS.
Postal applications, the date received by the Home Office.
From Booklet AN:
The residence requirements:
1. You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office.
For example if your application is received on 20/1/2015 you should have been physically present in the United Kingdom on 21/1/2010.
Most applications that fail do so because applicants have applied even though they cannot satisfy the residence requirement to be present in the UK at the beginning of the residential qualifying period.
Unless i'm missing something?
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:57 pm

I've always understood that it was the corresponding date 5 years (or 3 years) prior to the application being submitted with the NCS...but obviously not!

Strange, as exit and entry dates are counted for immigration purposes as being present in the country. :?
(Casa, not CR001)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:23 pm

In terms of receiving applications NCS is a proxy for HO.

The guidance booklet is not a definitive statement of the law; it could be wrong and/or out of date.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

farwailr
Newly Registered

Post by farwailr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:37 pm

Thanks everyone.

When UKBA counts 5 years back from application then why do we have to stay 1 year on ILR.

So in my brother in law case he was in UK on 29th Sep 2011 and also on 30th sep so it means he is good to go on 29th sep 2016.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:14 pm

farwailr wrote:When UKBA counts 5 years back from application then why do we have to stay 1 year on ILR.
Because there are multiple requirements for naturalisation spelt out by Parliament. Add Schedule 1 of the British Nationality Act 1981 to your light reading.
farwailr wrote:So in my brother in law case he was in UK on 29th Sep 2011 and also on 30th sep so it means he is good to go on 29th sep 2016.
Yes.
noajthan wrote:The guidance booklet is not a definitive statement of the law; it could be wrong and/or out of date.
WR1's earlier post is correct in that the requirement of the law is that the person is in the UK at the beginning of five years from the date of application. Thus, technically (date of application - 5 years + 1 day). We tend to drop the 1 day element for the case of simplicity, but that is the correct interpretation of the requirements (see Schedule 1 above).