ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance / State pension question (Tier 5 & 2)

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bazbazbaz
Newly Registered
Canada

National Insurance / State pension question (Tier 5 & 2)

Post by bazbazbaz » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:00 pm

I'm a Canadian / Portuguese citizen working in the UK. From 2012-2016, I was working in the UK as a Canadian under a work visa:

2012-2014 Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme
2014-2016 Tier 2

During this time I've been full-time employed and paying National Insurance contributions.

In May 2016 I received Portuguese citizenship and chose to remain in the UK as an EEA citizen.

Do my first four years in the UK as a Canadian on work visas (Tire 5 & 2) count towards the minimum 10 years of National Insurance contributions needed to receive a pro-rata amount for a state pension?

Does the UK have social security / pension agreement with Canada?

Is there specific information / resources for Canadians who have worked in the UK, but want to retire in Canada, available?

Thanks

Petaltop

Re: National Insurance / State pension question (Tier 5 & 2)

Post by Petaltop » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:47 am

bazbazbaz wrote:I'm a Canadian / Portuguese citizen working in the UK. From 2012-2016, I was working in the UK as a Canadian under a work visa:

2012-2014 Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme
2014-2016 Tier 2

During this time I've been full-time employed and paying National Insurance contributions.

In May 2016 I received Portuguese citizenship and chose to remain in the UK as an EEA citizen.

Do my first four years in the UK as a Canadian on work visas (Tire 5 & 2) count towards the minimum 10 years of National Insurance contributions needed to receive a pro-rata amount for a state pension?

Does the UK have social security / pension agreement with Canada?

Is there specific information / resources for Canadians who have worked in the UK, but want to retire in Canada, available?

Thanks
If you were under age 30 in 2012, then there is a long long way for you to reach UK state pension age. The UK change the rules for the state pensions all the time and you would have to see what rules are in place when you retire.

The UK also raises the state pension age all the time too. Presently it is 68, but it could be a lot higher by the time you retire. Or the state pension might be income based by the time you retire.

Nobody knows what the rules for a UK state pension will be in 30+ years time.