ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost previous passport 10 years ago. Should I state this?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Intrepid V

Lost previous passport 10 years ago. Should I state this?

Post by Intrepid V » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi. I was in UK since 1997 as a minor (my mother applied for asylum), then received ILR in 2004 due to government amnesty. I have ILR Home Office letter; I never had ILR stamp in my passport.

My current passport was issued in 2006. The previous passport which I held from 2004 to 2006 was lost; I went to the local police station and got a lost property statement from them, which I threw away a long time ago.

As for the current passport, it is valid and in order. However, my country's embassy has a policy of only of extending it for one calendar year at a time, as I was out of the country since 1997. Therefore I have 10 extension stickers in the passport, one for each year from 2007 to present.

My question are:

1. On the citizenship application form, do I have to explain why my passport was issued in 2006, or it doesn't matter? Should I even mention that the previous passport was lost?

2. How much attention to they pay to these details given that this was over 10 years ago, i.e. well beyond the legal 5 year qualifying period?

3. Regarding the current passport, it might appear strange to them that it has been extended one year at a time. Should I explain to them my embassy's "unwritten" policy, or just ignore this minor curiosity?

Thank you.

noajthan

Re: Lost previous passport 10 years ago. Should I state this

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Intrepid V wrote:Hi. I was in UK since 1997 as a minor (my mother applied for asylum), then received ILR in 2004 due to government amnesty. I have ILR Home Office letter; I never had ILR stamp in my passport.

My question are:

1. On the citizenship application form, do I have to explain why my passport was issued in 2006, or it doesn't matter? Should I even mention that the previous passport was lost?

2. How much attention to they pay to these details given that this was over 10 years ago, i.e. well beyond the legal 5 year qualifying period?

3. Regarding the current passport, it might appear strange to them that it has been extended one year at a time. Should I explain to them my embassy's "unwritten" policy, or just ignore this minor curiosity?

Thank you.
1) Are you asked?

2) Without someone 'on the inside' who knows.

3) Caseworkers are a bit like medical professionals, it won't be the first 'funny one' they've seen.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Intrepid V

Post by Intrepid V » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks for the great reply!

Intrepid V

Post by Intrepid V » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:03 pm

I checked my passport issue date again, and actually it was issued in 2008, not 2006, so only 8 years ago. Does this affect anything at all, or can I still safely ignore the lost passport prior to this one?

Another question. How do you guys attach the passport photo? Is pritt stick sufficient, or do I need stronger glue or stables to affix it?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Intrepid V wrote:I checked my passport issue date again, and actually it was issued in 2008, not 2006, so only 8 years ago. Does this affect anything at all, or can I still safely ignore the lost passport prior to this one?

Another question. How do you guys attach the passport photo? Is pritt stick sufficient, or do I need stronger glue or stables to affix it?
Not quite sure what the lost passport question is in reference to, unless there is a question on the new AN form/guidance to submit this, it's irrelevant. I don't recall seeing anything around past passports when filling the form last year. There is however a requirement to submit all uncanceled passports when applying for your first British passport, which is a separate application to this.

Either of the options (glue/pritt stick) you have mentioned to affix the photo to the AN form will be fine. I wouldn't however staple it to the form.

Intrepid V

Post by Intrepid V » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks. Another question. ( I would make a new thread, but told not to by the moderator). I am also submitting a passport application together with the naturalisation application, via the Nationality Checking Service.

For section 4 of the passport application form, "Parents' details", I have two queries:

1) My mother is a single parent. Should I leave the father's blank, without an explanation? (should I also do the same for the naturalisation form?)

2) it is stated that if parents were born abroad, I have to provide details of my grandparents or details of my parents' claim to British nationality. I don't see how this is relevant, since I have ILR to remain. Obviously my grandparents were born in another country too, as has my mother (she also has ILR). So what do I actually write? Is this section relevant for the applicants who go through nationality checking service?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:46 pm

Intrepid V wrote:Thanks. Another question. ( I would make a new thread, but told not to by the moderator). I am also submitting a passport application together with the naturalisation application, via the Nationality Checking Service.

For section 4 of the passport application form, "Parents' details", I have two queries:

1) My mother is a single parent. Should I leave the father's blank, without an explanation? (should I also do the same for the naturalisation form?)

2) it is stated that if parents were born abroad, I have to provide details of my grandparents or details of my parents' claim to British nationality. I don't see how this is relevant, since I have ILR to remain. Obviously my grandparents were born in another country too, as has my mother (she also has ILR). So what do I actually write? Is this section relevant for the applicants who go through nationality checking service?
1) My suggestion would be to leave it blank (with a note under the additional information section), but check with the NCS staff about whether you should mention that your mother is a single parent under the additional information section of the form.
2) Grandparents details are not necessary when applying for a British passport as a naturalised BC (It's mentioned in the guidance booklet that comes with the passport application form). Leave it blank.