ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No EHIC Card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jjm07

No EHIC Card

Post by jjm07 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello all,

From 2010-2011, I was a student in the UK. I did not have an EHIC Card, however I do have some documents from my home country stating that I was covered my home country's social security. Would such a document be acceptable?

IF NOT, then I have a second question. I ended studying in October 2011, however I was applying for jobs from January 2011. In the case I am not eligible to apply as a student, when can I start saying that I exercised treaty rights by "looking for a job" : Jan-11 or Oct-11?

Many Thanks
Juju

noajthan

Re: No EHIC Card

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:19 am

1) Maybe.

2) It doesn't depend on what you say, you need rock-solid evidence to back your case.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:27 pm

1) So then I guess that letter isn't 'rock-solid' enough is it? Do you think it would still be worth trying? I am asking because the letters are in French and translating them has a cost.

2) I would also need to prove I was self-sufficient. I can provide bank statements for every month I was student. Is that 'rock-solid' enough?

3) Finally, I used to live in a flatshare most bills were under my flatmate. I digged into all my documents and the only proofs of residence I can provide are bank statements. Unfortunately, that's all I have. Is that enough too?

I feel my evidence as a student in the UK isn't very solid. However I have started working a couple of months after that and I think my evidence are 'rock-solid' from that point. Do you think it is worth trying? I would not want to waste another year, I would need my UK passport as soon as possible.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:1) So then I guess that letter isn't 'rock-solid' enough is it? Do you think it would still be worth trying? I am asking because the letters are in French and translating them has a cost.

2) I would also need to prove I was self-sufficient. I can provide bank statements for every month I was student. Is that 'rock-solid' enough?

3) Finally, I used to live in a flatshare most bills were under my flatmate. I digged into all my documents and the only proofs of residence I can provide are bank statements. Unfortunately, that's all I have. Is that enough too?

I feel my evidence as a student in the UK isn't very solid. However I have started working a couple of months after that and I think my evidence are 'rock-solid' from that point. Do you think it is worth trying? I would not want to waste another year, I would need my UK passport as soon as possible.
1) You need that letter, in English.
Otherwise your carefree student years won't count as your PR clock will have stopped.
Reset to zero in fact.

2) If they show you had funds.
Evidence of source of funds would be good too.

3) Probably not.

You must have:
  • letters from uni (if a student);
    letters from SFE?
    letters about bursaries/scholarships etc;
    registered with NHS, medical services (doctor/dentist/optician/clinic);
    driver's license;
    insurance (car, house/contents);
    voter registration
& etc etc.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:44 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:Hello all,
... In the case I am not eligible to apply as a student, when can I start saying that I exercised treaty rights by "looking for a job" : Jan-11 or Oct-11?

Many Thanks
Juju
From whenever you have rock-solid (if not unimpeachanble evidence) of the activity;

- so for jobseeking:
  • registration at JC;
    application letters;
    interview letters;
    negotiation letters;
    job offer/refusal letters;
    details of expenses attending interviews;
& etc etc.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Jujumar87 wrote: From 2010-2011, I was a student in the UK. I did not have an EHIC Card, however I do have some documents from my home country stating that I was covered my home country's social security.
Social security and health insurance aren't the same thing, are they?

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Noetic wrote:
Jujumar87 wrote: From 2010-2011, I was a student in the UK. I did not have an EHIC Card, however I do have some documents from my home country stating that I was covered my home country's social security.
In France Social Security includes comprehensive health insurance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_security_in_France

Would it be worth adding a cover letter to my application?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:In France Social Security includes comprehensive health insurance

Does it cover the recipient if they are abroad?
... a caisse can stop paying benefits only if another caisse takes over or if the insured person leaves the country.
If you do have some letter (or other evidence of CSI-type cover) you are going to have to explain it so, yes, you will need a cogent cover letter.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:
Noetic wrote:
In France Social Security includes comprehensive health insurance

I've learned something new!

I'd think a certified translation of that letter is more important than a cover letter but it can't hurt to include one.

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:06 pm

noajthan wrote:
Jujumar87 wrote:In France Social Security includes comprehensive health insurance

Does it cover the recipient if they are abroad?
Yes - basically the cover I had made me eligible for an EHIC card issued in France. I just did not apply for it. What if I had lost it anyway... Would it be something that HO would know about? Would a cover letter be needed?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:Yes - basically the cover I had made me eligible for an EHIC card issued in France. I just did not apply for it. What if I had lost it anyway... Would it be something that HO would know about? Would a cover letter be needed?
HO won't give benefit of doubt or just wave you through with a rubber-stamp.
You need proof of cover.
Or proof you had a EHIC at relevant time.

You can get into the mind of the caseworker assessing and weighing up your case here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf
- CSI section

And get more of a steer on what she will be looking for, here:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... issued.pdf

Note HO plays hard ball and doesn't take prisoners:
Where there is no evidence of CSI for the EEA national or their family member(s), the application will be refused in line with regulation 4
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... udents.pdf

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:13 pm

noajthan wrote:
Jujumar87 wrote:Yes - basically the cover I had made me eligible for an EHIC card issued in France. I just did not apply for it. What if I had lost it anyway... Would it be something that HO would know about? Would a cover letter be needed?
HO won't give benefit of doubt or just wave you through with a rubber-stamp.
You need proof of cover.
Or proof you had a EHIC at relevant time.
I have two French letters:
- one saying I was a student in 2010/2011 and druing those two years I was covered by 'French Social Security'
- I tried to get another letter and that one says that as a student I was eligible for an EHIC card according to article 19 blablabla.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:18 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:I have two French letters:
- one saying I was a student in 2010/2011 and druing those two years I was covered by 'French Social Security'
- I tried to get another letter and that one says that as a student I was eligible for an EHIC card according to article 19 blablabla.
As is often the way, those French letters may just have saved your bacon and got you out of a tricky situation.
If that's as good as it gets then that's what you will have to rely on.

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:22 pm

I guess I will try and see what answer I get.

Getting the letters translated is actually quite expensive, so I hope there is still a chance for me, otherwise it would just be a waste of money, but as you said, no choice really!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:29 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:I guess I will try and see what answer I get.

Getting the letters translated is actually quite expensive, so I hope there is still a chance for me, otherwise it would just be a waste of money, but as you said, no choice really!
I have edited my post above to add some informative documents/links.

That will show what you are up against and may help with your cost-benefit analysis.

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:34 pm

noajthan wrote:
Jujumar87 wrote:I guess I will try and see what answer I get.

I have edited my post above to add some informative documents/links.

That will show what you are up against and may help with your cost-benefit analysis.
I have read of all these - but they are official documents so I guess they won't be speaking about 'exceptions'. I posted here in case someone was in a similar situation. If I purely rely on these documents, then clearly it says I shouldn't be bother trying.

However I have read this for instance which made me post here as it gave me a bit of hope:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 37146.html

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:42 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:I have read of all these - but they are official documents so I guess they won't be speaking about 'exceptions'. I posted here in case someone was in a similar situation. If I purely rely on these documents, then clearly it says I shouldn't be bother trying.

However I have read this for instance which made me post here as it gave me a bit of hope:
Ofcourse they're official docs, that's the type of guidance caseworkers use day to day (rather than going to the underlying legislation).
There are no secret exceptions. What use would they be if secret.

As I've explained to you, you can use evidence from your country that you had cover in some shape or form.
That is not an exception, that is an extension to what you may have read.

Other members have done that.
For example, some disorderly members who lost their EHIC managed to pull themselves together long enough to organise a letter proving they had had an EHIC;
that was enough to get them over the line.
If the applicant submits an EHIC which does not cover the whole of the period relied upon, or does not feature a ‘valid from’ date, they must also submit evidence from the issuing authority confirming that they held a valid EHIC card for the period relied upon
Even cover provided by a kindly parent's in-country health policy will do if it extends to you in UK.
Or any special, reciprocal agreement your country may have with UK.

The example you quoted only worked as the member was (for some reason) still paying into the French system; are you doing that?

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:44 pm

noajthan wrote:
Jujumar87 wrote:I have read of all these - but they are official documents so I guess they won't be speaking about 'exceptions'. I posted here in case someone was in a similar situation. If I purely rely on these documents, then clearly it says I shouldn't be bother trying.

Ofcourse they're official docs, that's the type of guidance caseworkers use day to day (rather than going to the underlying legislation).
There are no secret exceptions. What use would they be if secret.

As I've explained to you, you can use evidence from your country that you had cover in some shape or form.
That is not an exception, that is an extension to what you may have read.

Other members have done that.
For example, some disorderly members who lost their EHIC managed to pull themselves together long enough to organise a letter proving they had had an EHIC;
that was enough to get them over the line.
If the applicant submits an EHIC which does not cover the whole of the period relied upon, or does not feature a ‘valid from’ date, they must also submit evidence from the issuing authority confirming that they held a valid EHIC card for the period relied upon
Even cover provided by a kindly parent's in-country health policy will do if it extends to you in UK.
Or any special, reciprocal agreement your country may have with UK.

The example you quoted only worked as the member was (for some reason) still paying into the French system; are you doing that?
At the time (years 2010 and 2011) I did pay French social security even though I was a student in the UK - they would NOT have issued the letters I mentioned otherwise.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:50 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:At the time (years 2010 and 2011) I did pay French social security even though I was a student in the UK - they would NOT have issued the letters I mentioned otherwise.
So, in the best traditions of ImmigrationBoards, you have answered your own question and progressed to the next level.

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:16 am

noajthan wrote:
Jujumar87 wrote:At the time (years 2010 and 2011) I did pay French social security even though I was a student in the UK - they would NOT have issued the letters I mentioned otherwise.
So, in the best traditions of ImmigrationBoards, you have answered your own question and progressed to the next level.
Yes however I only had scanned copies of the letters not the original - but just to let you know, I printed the scanned copies, had them translated by a company found online and it worked, got my PR within 8 weeks!