ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK ILR and Pakistani Passport to visit USA visa process

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zagoo2000

UK ILR and Pakistani Passport to visit USA visa process

Post by zagoo2000 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:57 pm

Dear All,

I have an ILR, based upon 14 years, since May 2013 and I have a Pakistani passport. I would like to visit my friend in USA sometime this year for couple of weeks. My record in UK is clean. Just wondering...

What are the typical requirements for such application?
Is my application process going to be simpler?
What are the chances?

Any guidance or suggestion would be really appreciated.
Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK ILR and Pakistani Passport to visit USA visa process

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:43 am

What are the typical requirements for such application?
have you looked at the USA visa website? You will need to attend an interview
https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism- ... -to-apply/

Is my application process going to be simpler?
simpler, why? Just because you hold ILR? This has no relevance really.

What are the chances?
how would we know what your chances are.

Did you have 14 years of illegal living in the UK before getting ILR?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks CR001 for your reply. I hear a lot of ha hu about american visa. I was just wondering as this is going to be my first time. I had couple of years in between 2007-2009 which were without visa.

I have not seen the website in detail. There is a lot to go through. Is there anything in particular that i should have prepared in advanced? e.g. my financial statement, bank statement, cover letter, employer letter or my friend's financial statement etc ?

Process:
1. Pre-Submitting gather the following:
a) Passport
b) Travel itinerary, if you have already made travel arrangements
c) Dates of your last five visits or trips to the United States
d) Curriculum Vitae
e) Other Information - Some applicants, depending on the intended purpose of travel, will be asked to provide additional information when completing the DS-160

2. Submit 'Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160)' at this link https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Default.aspx

3. Once submitted, call the embassy at which you apply to confirm whether you need to be interviewed by a consular officer, and to schedule an interview. In my case it would be here https://uk.usembassy.gov/

4. On the interview day you must have:
a) Confirmation page of the application form DS-160;
b) Appointment confirmation page (if relevant);
c) A passport or other travel document:
d) One 5 x 5 cm (2” by 2”) color photograph taken within the last six months:
e) Evidence of your status in the United Kingdom,
f) Evidence of previously issued U.S. visas:
g) If you have ever been arrested, cautioned, convicted
h) If you have a medical condition that could have a bearing on your eligibility for a visa,
i) If you have been denied entry into or deported, or removed from the United States

5. Interview will last few minutes but reviewing application and finger prints may take longer.

Some instructions and FAQ:
- https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/Common/Instructions.aspx
- https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/ ... tions.html

Question:
Have i captured the process correctly?
I'm guessing at '2' you can get visa if no interview is required?
After submitting how long do i have to wait before calling the embassy for interview?
Do you get interview dates on the phone straightaway?
Can the application be downloaded to practice before submitting?

Sorry for the longer email. I'm trying to collect as much info as i can.

Many thanks.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks CR001 for your reply. I hear a lot of ha hu about american visa. I was just wondering as this is going to be my first time. I had couple of years in between 2007-2009 which were without visa.

I have not seen the website in detail. There is a lot to go through. Is there anything in particular that i should have prepared in advanced? e.g. my financial statement, bank statement, cover letter, employer letter or my friend's financial statement etc ?

Process:
1. Pre-Submitting gather the following:
a) Passport
b) Travel itinerary, if you have already made travel arrangements
c) Dates of your last five visits or trips to the United States
d) Curriculum Vitae
e) Other Information - Some applicants, depending on the intended purpose of travel, will be asked to provide additional information when completing the DS-160

2. Submit 'Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160)' at this link https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Default.aspx

3. Once submitted, call the embassy at which you apply to confirm whether you need to be interviewed by a consular officer, and to schedule an interview. In my case it would be here https://uk.usembassy.gov/

4. On the interview day you must have:
a) Confirmation page of the application form DS-160;
b) Appointment confirmation page (if relevant);
c) A passport or other travel document:
d) One 5 x 5 cm (2” by 2”) color photograph taken within the last six months:
e) Evidence of your status in the United Kingdom,
f) Evidence of previously issued U.S. visas:
g) If you have ever been arrested, cautioned, convicted
h) If you have a medical condition that could have a bearing on your eligibility for a visa,
i) If you have been denied entry into or deported, or removed from the United States

5. Interview will last few minutes but reviewing application and finger prints may take longer. Total time 2-3 hr at embassy.

6. Successful applications take 3 – 5 workdays to process before the passport is handed to the courier for delivery; at least a further 2 workdays should be allowed for delivery.

Some instructions and FAQ:
- https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/Common/Instructions.aspx
- https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/ ... tions.html

Question:
Have i captured the process correctly?
I'm guessing at '2' you can get visa if no interview is required?
After submitting how long do i have to wait before calling the embassy for interview?
Do you get interview dates on the phone straightaway?
Can the application be downloaded to practice before submitting?
Where and when do you application fee?

Sorry for the longer email. I'm trying to collect as much info as i can.

Many thanks.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:23 pm

zagoo2000 wrote:Is there anything in particular that i should have prepared in advanced? e.g. my financial statement, bank statement, cover letter, employer letter or my friend's financial statement etc ?
The required documents are listed here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism- ... documents/
Your bank statements may help prove your ability to support yourself during your visit, which is one of the requirements you are expected to meet (Your friends financial statements are unnecessary). A letter from your employer confirming your leave for the holiday period would support your intent to return to the UK at the end of the visit.
Question:
a) I'm guessing at '2' you can get visa if no interview is required?
b) After submitting how long do i have to wait before calling the embassy for interview?
c) Do you get interview dates on the phone straightaway?
d) Can the application be downloaded to practice before submitting?
a) Every applicant attends an interview, it's not optional. The length of the interview would depend on the individual's background. Mine lasted around 5 min's over a open counter when I applied. There were others who were interviewed in enclosed interview rooms. Personally I spent the majority of my time, queuing outside and then waiting for my number to be called for biometrics, followed by the mini interview.
b) & c) The interview is held on the day you submit the application. You aren't call for a interview on a different date. They will let you know if your application has been approved on the same day once they have finished the interview.
d) As far as I'm aware the application has to be completed online. I can't recall if there is an option to partially fill, then save the complete/submit the online form later. But from memory what I recall is that you had to complete and submit it all in one go, as there wasn't a save option available.
You can try the link on the website (or search the embassy website) to see whether they have a option to download a paper copy of the form. I don't recall seeing one when I completed this online application several years ago.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:36 pm

zagoo2000 wrote:I had couple of years in between 2007-2009 which were without visa.
I'd suggest that you a search the embassy website, to see whether this is likely to pose you a problem before you apply. I can't remember all the questions, but there is a section with a long list of questions related to security and background in the application form.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks cs95tdg for your reply. I keep that in mind but so far I couldn't find anything that ask particularly 'how' the UK visa status was achieved.

b) and c) Does it mean you select your interview date during application? Also, it says here that it will take 3-5 working days ...https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism- ... ing-times/ so its not immediate then..sorry confused here :?
d) Just noticed that there seem to be an option where you can 'save' the application form
https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Common/Instructions.aspx
e) Where and when do you pay the application fee? Is it during online application submitting or on the interview day? Is it by cash or card? what is the amount? I couldn't figure that out.
f) Is there a need of invitation letter from my friend then or something like this Form I-134, Affidavit of Support?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:24 pm

zagoo2000 wrote:b) and c) Does it mean you select your interview date during application?
Its not really something you need to select, it's one of the steps that takes place on date you submit your biometrics at the embassy (You need to make an appointment for this over the phone at the same time you pay the application fee). I wouldn't even really call it an interview. Unless you have a complicated immigration history (so hence my reason for asking you to check on your previous overstay in the UK, as that may come up during that conversation), the chances are it will be a general conversation about your visit. Mine was quite informal, and a chat about where I was going, for what purpose. How long I had been in the UK. I was asked how I obtained my ILR status in the UK, and how long I had lived here. We also had a chat about my previous US trips as I had several other US visas mentioned in the application. Make sure you take the requested supporting documents on the day in case they ask to see them.
Also, it says here that it will take 3-5 working days ...https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism- ... ing-times/ so its not immediate then..sorry confused here :?
Thats the amount of time it usually takes them to issue the visa and send your passport back to you. The decision is given on the same day, but not your passport. That's returned to you with the US visa vignette by DXSexure.
d) Just noticed that there seem to be an option where you can 'save' the application form
https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Common/Instructions.aspx
Thats good news.
e) Where and when do you pay the application fee? Is it during online application submitting or on the interview day? Is it by cash or card? what is the amount? I couldn't figure that out.
You pay the application fee in advance, I.e. at the time you make the appointment to submit your application. I did this by card over the phone, check the website to see if it's still the same now. Fee still appears to be $160 - see https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immigrant-visa-fees/
f) Is there a need of invitation letter from my friend then or something like this Form I-134, Affidavit of Support?
Not seen this one, so can't really comment without checking. An invitation letter may be a good idea purely to re-affirm the purpose of your visit. But if you intend to support yourself on your own, I don't see the need for your friends financial statements.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks cs95tdg thats great. I will take some time to go through all the documentation that is required before applying. I really appreciate your support. I may come back with more questions but for now i think i got to right track.

Thanks once again.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi again,

I only got to hear about this ESTA program. Just wondering if I'm eligible to apply on this? Also, what are the chances?

Just want to be sure which option to go for ESTA or DS-160.

Many thanks.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:38 pm

zagoo2000 wrote:I only got to hear about this ESTA program. Just wondering if I'm eligible to apply on this?
Not unless you're a citizen of a VWP country. See https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internationa ... tem-travel

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:05 pm

zagoo2000 wrote:I only got to hear about this ESTA program.
Pakistan Nationals cannot use ESTA, Pakistan is not part of the visa waiver program. You will have to apply for a proper visit visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks a million both CR001 and cs95tdg .

I have started filling the DS-160 application form slowly and carefully. I hope all goes through fine.

Benji_182
inactive
United States of America

Post by Benji_182 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:39 pm

zagoo2000 wrote:Thanks a million both CR001 and cs95tdg .

I have started filling the DS-160 application form slowly and carefully. I hope all goes through fine.

Did you manage to get it and go?

B.