ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cost of PhD in the UK?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Naseer
Newly Registered

Cost of PhD in the UK?

Post by Naseer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Dear friends,
Could anyone please let me know how much, on average, an international student has to pay for a full length of PhD course in English Literature? Actually I am confused because of two reasons: first, the fee for international students is mostly between 9k to 13k, but in most cases it is not mentioned whether this is the fee for the full course or just for one year. I spoke to two universities today: one said it is for full course; the other said 'I think it is for one year but I am not sure'.
Any thoughts, based of personal experience or expertise please? I will appreciate that.
Regards.
Naseer

noajthan

Re: Cost of PhD in the UK?

Post by noajthan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Typical cost even for undergraduate home student is £9000 per annum.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:01 pm

fees quoted are generally for the year.

I4505
Newly Registered

Post by I4505 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:50 am

Naseer wrote:Dear friends,
Could anyone please let me know how much, on average, an international student has to pay for a full length of PhD course in English Literature? Actually I am confused because of two reasons: first, the fee for international students is mostly between 9k to 13k, but in most cases it is not mentioned whether this is the fee for the full course or just for one year. I spoke to two universities today: one said it is for full course; the other said 'I think it is for one year but I am not sure'.
Any thoughts, based of personal experience or expertise please? I will appreciate that.
Regards.
Naseer
I am an international PhD student and as far as I know 9k is about the lowest fee you can pay for one year. You can enter the writing-up stage and reduce, or avoid paying, the fee for the 3rd year if you progress very quickly during the first 2 years (it can be risky as you have to submit before the end of the year).