ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel while awaiting my PR? and other questions

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

zoefr
Newly Registered

Can I travel while awaiting my PR? and other questions

Post by zoefr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:56 pm

I am French applying for the EEA Permanent Residence before applying for citizenship. I have an EU ID card as well as a passport, either are accepted according to the Permanent Residence guide. Does this mean I can send in one e.g. my EU ID card and use the other e.g. passport to travel outside of the UK while my application is being processed?

noajthan

Re: Can I travel while awaiting my Permanent residence?

Post by noajthan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Yes.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

zoefr
Newly Registered

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:02 pm

noajthan wrote:Yes.
Thank you for the quick reply. I thought this was the answer but it is not specified, is there any official confirmation anywhere?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:14 pm

zoefr wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply. I thought this was the answer but it is not specified, is there any official confirmation anywhere?
If you read Directive 2004/38/EC you will see no restriction on travel whilst an application is being processed.
Viva free movement!

zoefr
Newly Registered

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:33 pm

noajthan wrote:
zoefr wrote:
If you read Directive 2004/38/EC you will see no restriction on travel whilst an application is being processed.
Viva free movement!
Thanks again! I have browsed this text and see it covers free movement for EU citizens in general, I could not find explicit mention of processing period of permanent residency applications. Clearly EU movement rights remain regardless of a PR application and logically absences after the documented 5 years of residence should not make a difference but I wanted to be absolutely certain. I presume other than change of domicile outside of UK, there are no restrictions on absences following the application.... Is that correct?

noajthan

Re: "Full name" in Section 1.3 of EEA PR

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:36 pm

zoefr wrote:In several places of the EEA PR e.g. very first section for Payment details "Full name" implies First and Last, so Norma Jeane Mortenson.

In section 1, questions 1.3 and 1.4 seem redundant. 1.3 asks for "full name as shown in passport" implying first and last as above, the question immediately after asks for "surname or family name as shown in passport". I don't understand why 1.4 is asked if I have understood 1.3. In this case is the expected responses:

1.3 = Norma Jeane Mortenson
1.4 = Mortenson

or should 1.3 only be the full first and middle names without the last name like

1.3 = Norma Jeane
1.4 = Mortenson
Don't expect logic or commonsense to apply - this is a poorly-designed and generic form.

My understanding is your first example is 'correct'.

Anything else and you risk getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop.
Boop-boop-de-boop!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:38 pm

zoefr wrote:Thanks again! I have browsed this text and see it covers free movement for EU citizens in general, I could not find explicit mention of processing period of permanent residency applications. Clearly EU movement rights remain regardless of a PR application and logically absences after the documented 5 years of residence should not make a difference but I wanted to be absolutely certain. I presume other than change of domicile outside of UK, there are no restrictions on absences following the application.... Is that correct?
There is no mandated processing time or SLA for PR applications. (There is one for RCs).

Well you can't stay away longer than 2 years or your PR status will be revoked.

zoefr
Newly Registered

EEA PR Dates- explicit number or terms e.g PRESENT, BIRTH

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:39 pm

On the EEA PR, there are several boxes where from/to dates are to be listed. In those cases where the from date has applied since birth, should I put term "BIRTH" or the exact date e.g. 01/06/1926?

Similarly, if something still applies today should I always use "PRESENT"?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Posts merged.

Kindly keep all questions in same topic. No need for multiple posts.

Topic moved to correct forum too (EEA).

noajthan

Re: EEA PR Dates- explicit number or terms e.g PRESENT, BIRT

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:46 pm

zoefr wrote:On the EEA PR, there are several boxes where from/to dates are to be listed. In those cases where the from date has applied since birth, should I put term "BIRTH" or the exact date e.g. 01/06/1926?

Similarly, if something still applies today should I always use "PRESENT"?
Unless you find specific instructions in the associated guidance you may enter what makes sense.
It is not mandatory to use the currrent 'monster' form, (you could even apply by letter), therefore the format is not explicitly prescribed.

zoefr
Newly Registered

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:47 pm

noajthan wrote:
zoefr wrote:In several places of the EEA PR e.g. very first section for Payment details "Full name" implies First and Last, so Norma Jeane Mortenson.

In section 1, questions 1.3 and 1.4 seem redundant. 1.3 asks for "full name as shown in passport" implying first and last as above, the question immediately after asks for "surname or family name as shown in passport". I don't understand why 1.4 is asked if I have understood 1.3. In this case is the expected responses:

1.3 = Norma Jeane Mortenson
1.4 = Mortenson

or should 1.3 only be the full first and middle names without the last name like

1.3 = Norma Jeane
1.4 = Mortenson
Don't expect logic or commonsense to apply - this is a poorly-designed and generic form.

My understanding is your first example is 'correct'.

Anything else and you risk getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop.
Boop-boop-de-boop!
Thanks! And a quote from Some Like It Hot!

I will put Norma Jeane Mortenson in 1.3 to be safe as you suggest and repeat Mortenson in 1.4. Even if it sounds silly, better to be safe. When I first read it, I presumed it was trying to account for those countries that always keep a woman's maiden name on passports, etc. even after marriage but in both cases it asks for same source ("passport, etc.") so I can't see the point of these 2 as written.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:54 pm

zoefr wrote:Thanks! And a quote from Some Like It Hot!

I will put Norma Jeane Mortenson in 1.3 to be safe as you suggest and repeat Mortenson in 1.4. Even if it sounds silly, better to be safe. When I first read it, I presumed it was trying to account for those countries that always keep a woman's maiden name on passports, etc. even after marriage but in both cases it asks for same source ("passport, etc.") so I can't see the point of these 2 as written.
You will find much more illogicality as you progress through the form.

:idea: You may conclude you wish to go commando and apply on an earlier (simpler) version of the form (as some other members have done).

zoefr
Newly Registered

EEA PR - Printing/sending blank pages, nonrelevant sections

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:59 pm

The guideline suggests sending relevant (completed) sections may be sent to save postal fees. What is the recommendation? As a single employed EEA, only about 30 of 85 pages apply to me. Is sending sections where at least something was completed the best route? For example, send all of section 5 even though only 5A applies and 5B is blank. Or should I just send everything? I don't mind slightly higher postal fee if it is the safer option.

noajthan

Re: EEA PR - Printing/sending blank pages, nonrelevant secti

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:00 pm

@zoefr, there are hundreds of questions in the PR form and we cannot fill the forum with questions on each one :!:

:arrow: Kindly continue in existing, now-combined topic:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 16692.html

zoefr
Newly Registered

EEA PR - Section 5 absences -combined countries in trips

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:05 pm

I have a few trips where I visited several countries, is there any issue combining them as long as they were all continuous while I was out of the UK? Should I repeat destinations in chronological order?

For example, on one trip I spent 2 days in Ireland, then 4 days in USA, then another 3 days in Ireland before returning to the UK. In the table, what should I put?

Ireland, USA

or

Ireland, USA, Ireland

or

should I split each on a separate lin
Ireland
USA
Ireland

The last option complicates the number of days calculation so I am looking to avoid unless it is advisable to list as such.

zoefr
Newly Registered

EEA PR - section 5 absences shorter than 1 day

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:10 pm

I understand there is no need to mention as an absence where I have left and returned to the UK same day e.g. a day trip to Ireland.

Is an absence day any 24 hour period? Or a full 24 hour calendar period ie from midnight as beginning until midnight of following day?

For example, if I spent the night away but returned in under 24 hours, is it an absence?

noajthan

Re: EEA PR - section 5 absences shorter than 1 day

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:12 pm

@zoefr, there are hundreds of questions in the PR form and we cannot fill the forum with questions on each one :!:

noajthan

Re: EEA PR - Section 5 absences -combined countries in trips

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:12 pm

You are now breaching Board T&Cs on multiple posts :!: :!:

zoefr
Newly Registered

"Date first entered the UK"

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:16 pm

A silly question perhaps, and the guideline does not explicitly mention it, but I presume this date is simply the day of arrival into the UK with intention to become a resident (change official domicile, to live and work) and not simply first ever entry into the UK (as tourist, on business trip)?

This arrival date is physical entry, before formal entry with authorities ie registration with council, HMRC, National Insurance, etc. some weeks/months later?

noajthan

Re: "Date first entered the UK"

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:19 pm

@zoefr, do stop posting multiple topics.
You are breaching Board T&Cs.

There are hundreds of questions in the PR form and we cannot fill the forum with questions on each one :!:

zoefr
Newly Registered

EEA PR 5B 5.5 - EEA residence documentation

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Is 5.5 of the EEA PR for non EEA citizens? Does an EEA citizen who has for example registered with their consulate in the UK and been issued EU ID from their consulate fit the "Document certifying permanent residence"? Or is this only for non-EEA who have been issued such documentation in UK or in another EEA country?

vinny

Re: EEA PR 5B 5.5 - EEA residence documentation

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:26 pm

noajthan wrote:@zoefr, do stop posting multiple topics.

There are hundreds of questions in the PR form and we cannot fill the forum with questions on each one :!:

Repeated
Repeated
Repeated
Repeated

L.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zoefr
Newly Registered

EEA PR 17.9 - Ties/connections to other countries

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Are there any tips on what to put on this section? I presume generic terms are sufficient e.g.

France - extended family, friends
Italy - parents

Family ties are clear enough but what else are they looking for here when they ask about social and cultural ties? Would my descriptions above be sufficient? Section 17 is mostly to determine any associated criminalism but I don't see the obvious connection of 17.9 as I'm not going to start listing out people by name, etc. or saying I like Italian art and film. Maybe certain countries trigger additional questions?

vinny

Re: EEA PR 17.9 - Ties/connections to other countries

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:36 pm

vinny wrote:
noajthan wrote:@zoefr, do stop posting multiple topics.

Repeated
Repeated
Repeated
Repeated

L.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zoefr
Newly Registered

Dual citizen of EEA and non-EEA, submitting passports

Post by zoefr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:38 pm

I have dual nationality, 1 EEA (EU) and 1 non-EEA. Both have always been declared in the UK (to government, banks, etc.) and I will declare in the relevant sections of the EEA PR. My EEA nationality is my primary and the basis for my EEA PR application, I will submit my EU ID card when sending my application and keep my EU passport as I need it for travel.

Other than declaring my second nationality with the non-EEA country on the PR forms, is there a requirement to submit the actual passport, etc. It is not relevant to my PR qualification/certification and I don't use this nationality on a day to day basis, in fact my last passport expired about 4 years ago and I have not renewed it so technically "not valid" as detailed in the requirements list (section 18, etc.)