ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK NARIC and CFA

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ponch10

UK NARIC and CFA

Post by ponch10 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:56 pm

Long shot but worth trying.
I passed the second level of the Chartered Financial Analyst program (CFA), which has been benchmarked by UK NARIC as a Bachelor's degree:
https://www.cfainstitute.org/ethics/rec ... rking.aspx

I have 2 questions:
- is this exam valid for language knowledge requirement? (I think so)
- do I need anything from UK NARIC? It seems like the CFA program has been benchmarked already, so any piece of paper from NARIC stating this sounds redundant, as UKVI will check with NARIC anyway.

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: UK NARIC and CFA

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 pm

From my own experience professional qualifications are not accepted - I have sat CIMA (Management Accounting) exams (16 hand-written papers in English!) and similar to CFA rated as a degree but no luck. CIMA provided me with a letter referring to NARIC's assessment of the qualification. "Cut my losses" and did the B1 test. I doubt HO checks with NARIC, you need to provide the proof with your application. B1 and NARIC certificate are same price (£150).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ponch10

Post by ponch10 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:01 am

thanks. did you actually submit the form with CIMA as evidence of language and got rejected?

ponch10

Post by ponch10 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:11 am

By the way, I did call UKVI and they said that they won't stop to the piece of paper provided by me, but they will go on and check with NARIC. It sounded very reasonable, but I would rather be 100% sure since the bill is in the 1200 GBP region.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:15 pm

ponch10 wrote:thanks. did you actually submit the form with CIMA as evidence of language and got rejected?
The topic is covered in an FAQ on here - not sure what the link is.
I went to NCS with my letter from CIMA. As the lady hadn't seen one before she called the HO to confirm whether it's acceptable - they said that certificates from professional bodies such as CIMA, ACCA, etc are not accepted, and they repeated this. Went away, checked with NARIC, they said it's a professional qualification and don't give opinion's on those. Checked with CIMA no reply! So to avoid any further delays took the B1 test at TCL. Should have read the FAQ first could have saved myself £60.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice coming from the HO Advice Line. I know they can ask for documentation within a very short time window (10 days?) after which you would loose the fee.. Didn't want to risk that as I had to travel shortly after my planned submission. Anyway I am just waiting now.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

ponch10

Post by ponch10 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:17 pm

Oh dear, this is really confusing. What's the point of a UK NARIC benchmarking (as bachelor's or master's) if then it is not recognised?
Besides, if CFA/CIMA/ACCA are well known qualifications and well knowingly benchmarked, I wouldn't see the need of extra papers from from NARIC - it should be just like having a masters' degree from Warwick University: it is a master's level, it is in english, is well known. No need for further papers.

Anyhow a very polite gentleman from HO over the phone agreed with my last statement. It's nonsensical to spend 150 quid to certify that I speak english like the semi illiterate I was when I was 12 years old.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:31 pm

I felt similar to you (actually gutted) but the choice was between trying to get anywhere during the holiday season (August) or to get my application in asap. Whilst it won't make any difference to my application please let us know how you get on. I would be worried though as there are too many stories of conflicting advice received from the HO.

ponch10

Post by ponch10 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:05 am

At the moment I am just inclined to take the B1 test and get over with it. As HO cleverly is very responsive over the phone, but does not send emails ever, I am thinking I won't have sufficient evidence to support my claim in the application. At the same time nowhere is written that professional qualifications are not accepted with form AN - unless I missed something?

Shame because otherwise the application is quite straightforward.

ponch10

Post by ponch10 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:06 am

different but related topic: which book am I supposed to study for the life in the UK test? Handbook or Guide? And what is the difference?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:17 am

ponch10 wrote:different but related topic: which book am I supposed to study for the life in the UK test? Handbook or Guide? And what is the difference?
The official HMSO book "Life in the United Kingdom" 3rd Edition. I am not aware of the guide. There are a few websites offering free test questions. Google for "lifeintheuktests". If you want to get the book there are secondhand ones traded. Probably two thirds of the questions should be general knowledge.

ponch10

Post by ponch10 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:34 am

every publisher offers two books: one is the handbook, the other one is the guide.

for example:
Handbook
http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/handbook/

Guide
http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/study_guide/

Anyone knows the difference and what I should spend time on?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:41 am

I am no insider but I assume anyone can publish guides for the test.
My approach was to just read the HMSO book and do the free tests until I could answer 24 questions in five minutes at pass level. Gave the book away after the test - took me three minutes on the day.

ponch10

Post by ponch10 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks, HMSO has two books though:

handbook:
https://www.tsoshop.co.uk/Life-in-the-U ... kID=002289

study guide:
https://www.tsoshop.co.uk/Life-in-the-U ... kID=002289

which one has to be studied?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:12 pm

My 2p worth on the subject:
Having been through the process in my opinion you could get away without any books, just using your general knowledge and practicing the free question banks. I got the book because I was curious and like reading. All questions are based on the book so I would recommend that. Anything else would be at your discretion. Bearing in mind the amounts we are spending I'd like to stick with the minimum we can get away with.

ponch10

Post by ponch10 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Yes I agree. When you say book, you mean handbook?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:38 pm

ponch10 wrote:Yes I agree. When you say book, you mean handbook?
Yes, 3rd edition.