ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Implications for Art Exhibit

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Minnesota3
Newly Registered

Tax Implications for Art Exhibit

Post by Minnesota3 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:49 am

Hi there,

I am a hobby artist (e.g. I enjoy it but have never made money from it). I've been asked to show my work at a local gallery, where they they would be for sale.

I'm trying to figure out what this means from a tax/Tier 2 visa perspective, any advice would be appreciated!

Thoughts/considerations:

1. I'm unlikely to make much - if any - profit, after printing, framing... maybe £500 absolute maximum.
2. My spouse (married) is a UK citizen - could I avoid implications if any profits went to them instead, if they were essentially selling my photos with my permission?
3. If the above fail, would donating any profits to a charity be an option?

It seems like a really small amount of *potential* profit to be concerned, but I don't want to get myself into any hot water without meaning to...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tax Implications for Art Exhibit

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:34 pm

You cannot be self employed, in any capacity. Any income has to be declared to HMRC.

This problem wouldn't exist if you were on a spouse settlement visa though.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Minnesota3
Newly Registered

Post by Minnesota3 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks CR001. I think that was my question as I'm not meeting the definition of "self employment" as defined on the HMRC website any more than selling an old laptop or something would be... I don't have an online store, or Etsy site or anything like that, so I'm not sure when that definition kicks in.

Also, under scenario 2 or 3, if the income went to my partner or a charity, why would that be an issue?

Just trying to understand the rationale, any info would be much appreciated!

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:08 pm

if the money didnt come to you, i dont see any reason u could be implicated for doing anything wrong.

eduleal

Post by eduleal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Interesting discussion.

Not sure it's legally self-employment.
If you sold a used bike on ebay - what would be the tax implications on that? Why is a £500 painting different, bearing in mind it's a one off?

A friend of mine from the US on a tier 2 visa has a band.
It's his hobby. His day job is with his sponsor.
They practice on weekends and occasionally - maybe once a month? - they play live in bars in London. Not for the money, but sometimes the venue will pay him drinks or maybe some money from the entry fees.

If he ever gets paid a few quid from one of the venues he plays in - would that be considered self-employment?

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Gift your paintings to your spouse. And now if they are sold, she gets the money. I don't see how this could be a problem in this case.