ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP Return Address Confusion

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Smam

BRP Return Address Confusion

Post by Smam » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi All,

Do apologies if this question is already been asked on the group.

I have a slight confusion here as to what BRP return address I have to use as there are two different address mentioned on the Guide AN and there's a different address mentioned on my citizenship approval letter.

I am confused as to what address shall I use to return my BRP now.

Please send to the following address, to be destroyed:
Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB

The above address I have got from the Guide An December 2015 Version

If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card), you should return it for secure destruction once you have received your certificate of British citizenship. The BRP card should be cut in half and posted (in a windowless plain envelope) to:
POL
Returns, P.O. Box 195,
Bristol BS20 lBT
with a note explaining that you are now a British citizen. If you fail to return the
BRP card, you may be issued with a civil penalty of up to £1,000

The above one I got it from approval letter which one shall I finally use ?

Many thanks and waiting for your useful replies.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: BRP Return Address Confusion

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 pm

I would normally go with the latest information available, i.e. in your case the HO letter. The other address is still in the June 2016 booklet. I suppose you could try to phone or email but that seems to be hit and miss with most things. If you are at all nervous about this send it by recorded / registered deliver, for a few extra pounds, and track the delivery.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:52 pm

It is basically the same place. One address is a Free Post address then other one you have to pay for postage.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Smam

Post by Smam » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Hello Respected Members and Mods,

Thanks a lot for your extremely prompt reply for my query.

I have also Google about the same query and the address its showing me on the government website is

POL Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT

I don't mind paying few odd extra pounds towards the postage and I will send it as a recorded delivery. I think I'll use the above address as I found this most reliable and updated.

Many thanks to all of you for your very prompt replies.

I would like to request the moderators to make this as a Sticky if they think that its worth it.

Good luck to everyone who are still waiting for their British Citizenship.

BIG Dobby
inactive

Post by BIG Dobby » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Smam wrote:Hello Respected Members and Mods,

Thanks a lot for your extremely prompt reply for my query.

I have also Google about the same query and the address its showing me on the government website is

POL Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT

I don't mind paying few odd extra pounds towards the postage and I will send it as a recorded delivery. I think I'll use the above address as I found this most reliable and updated.

Many thanks to all of you for your very prompt replies.

I would like to request the moderators to make this as a Sticky if they think that its worth it.

Good luck to everyone who are still waiting for their British Citizenship.

You worry yourself over nothing! Once you got your Certificate the BRP becomes invalid. Cut it n throw it in the bin or whatever.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:44 pm

BIG Dobby wrote:You worry yourself over nothing! Once you got your Certificate the BRP becomes invalid. Cut it n throw it in the bin or whatever.
You are missing the point. HO now requires the BRP cards to be returned to them after the ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:49 pm

CR001 wrote:
BIG Dobby wrote:You worry yourself over nothing! Once you got your Certificate the BRP becomes invalid. Cut it n throw it in the bin or whatever.
You are missing the point. HO now requires the BRP cards to be returned to them after the ceremony.
....with a civil penalty of up to £1,000 if you don't. :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

BIG Dobby
inactive

Post by BIG Dobby » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:53 pm

CR001 wrote:

That's your own! My card is with me since 2015 and nothing has happened

BIG Dobby
inactive

Post by BIG Dobby » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Casa wrote:
CR001 wrote:
....with a civil penalty of up to £1,000 if you don't. :!:
If they wanted it, they would have withheld it... :roll: why do they want us to be the one to send it back?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:12 pm

BIG Dobby wrote:That's your own! My card is with me since 2015 and nothing has happened
It became a documented standard requirement beginning of this year so you would not have been affected.
BIG Dobby wrote:if they wanted it, they would have withheld it... :roll: why do they want us to be the one to send it back?
Most people apply through NCS, where original is not required to be submitted.

We would not want to misinform members who then heed your advice and post back on the forum that they did get a £1000 civil penalty for not returning it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:28 pm

CR001 wrote:
BIG Dobby wrote:That's your own! My card is with me since 2015 and nothing has happened
It became a documented standard requirement beginning of this year so you would not have been affected.
BIG Dobby wrote:if they wanted it, they would have withheld it... :roll: why do they want us to be the one to send it back?
Most people apply through NCS, where original is not required to be submitted.

We would not want to misinform members who then heed your advice and post back on the forum that they did get a £1000 civil penalty for not returning it.
Unless of course Big Dobby would like to pay their fines. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Smam

Post by Smam » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi

I think Big Dobby is not really getting the point.

In my form AN I have filled this information and confirmed that I'll send my BRP after cutting in to pieces back to the address and signed the declaration.

@Big Dobby do you understand the meaning of signed declaration.

Go and try to improve your understanding first before answering anyone query on the group.

People like me come here to gain extremely useful information.

BIG Dobby
inactive

Post by BIG Dobby » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Smam wrote:Hi

I think Big Dobby is not really getting the point.

In my form AN I have filled this information and confirmed that I'll send my BRP after cutting in to pieces back to the address and signed the declaration.

@Big Dobby do you understand the meaning of signed declaration.

Go and try to improve your understanding first before answering anyone query on the group.

People like me come here to gain extremely useful information.

SMAM

You can do as you please; I am not discouraging you or anyone else. But one thing I have to tell you is that nothing is binding as you have submitted your BRP, which should have been retained. If they fail to retain and destroy it, you are not under any obligation to send it to them and, I repeat, nothing will happen.

you can say whatever you like... not gonna change anything... DONT GO PARADING WITH IT AS IT'S NO LONGER VALID

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:22 pm

BIG Dobby wrote:But one thing I have to tell you is that nothing is binding as you have submitted your BRP, which should have been retained. If they fail to retain and destroy it, you are not under any obligation to send it to them and, I repeat, nothing will happen.
Did you read this:
CR001 wrote: Most people apply through NCS, where original is not required to be submitted.

The HO have made it quite clear there is a £1000 fine for failing to retain the BRP. I believe the OP was only asking for clarification to which address the BRP needs to be returned to.

Application AN makes this clear:
6.11 Do you want the Home Office to retain your BRP
Yes
I confirm that I do not require evidence of my immigration status. Should I subsequently require evidence of my status, I will need to apply for a replacement BRP at my expense.
No
I confirm that if granted British citizenship I must return the BRP to the Home Office within 5 days of receiving the grant of citizenship and if I fail to do so I may receive a financial penalty of up to £1,000.

6.12 If the required biometric residence permit (BRP) is not enclosed please give details why you are unable to provide it:

If you do not submit your BRP with this application, you must return it to the Home Office no later than 5 days from the date you attended your Citizenship Ceremony or the date you were issued with a certificate of naturalisation, so that it can be securely destroyed. Details of how to return your BRP can be found in Guide AN and at www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/report-problem
If you fail to return your BRP, or notify the department of the reasons for not being able to do so, you may receive a financial penalty of up to £1,000.
BRP is still valid up until the point a person attends their Citizenship Ceremony so if people wish to travel in between their application and becoming the BC, they can do so. I don't see the point of submitting the original with the application until you actually become a BC.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

BIG Dobby
inactive

Post by BIG Dobby » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:21 pm

WR1

Application AN makes this clear:
6.11 Do you want the Home Office to retain your BRP
Yes
I confirm that I do not require evidence of my immigration status. Should I subsequently require evidence of my status, I will need to apply for a replacement BRP at my expense.
No
I confirm that if granted British citizenship I must return the BRP to the Home Office within 5 days of receiving the grant of citizenship and if I fail to do so I may receive a financial penalty of up to £1,000.

6.12 If the required biometric residence permit (BRP) is not enclosed please give details why you are unable to provide it:

If you do not submit your BRP with this application, you must return it to the Home Office no later than 5 days from the date you attended your Citizenship Ceremony or the date you were issued with a certificate of naturalisation, so that it can be securely destroyed. Details of how to return your BRP can be found in Guide AN and at http://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-p ... rt-problem
If you fail to return your BRP, or notify the department of the reasons for not being able to do so, you may receive a financial penalty of up to £1,000.

If the application form made it clear then why is he asking questions whether it is this or that when he was clearly given an option (of Yes or No)/ an address to return it. Just SMH

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:07 pm

BIG Dobby wrote:If the application form made it clear...
Application form makes it clear that BRP has to be returned.
BIG Dobby wrote:...then why is he asking questions whether it is this or that when he was clearly given an option (of Yes or No)/ an address to return it. Just SMH
Did you read the OP's first post:
Smam wrote:I have a slight confusion here as to what BRP return address I have to use as there are two different address mentioned on the Guide AN and there's a different address mentioned on my citizenship approval letter.

I am confused as to what address shall I use to return my BRP now.
OP is only seeking clarification which address should be used. I see nothing wrong with that and the question was clearly answered by CR001:
CR001 wrote:It is basically the same place. One address is a Free Post address then other one you have to pay for postage.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided