ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification for a Spousal Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bspin12
Newly Registered

Clarification for a Spousal Visa

Post by bspin12 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi,

I am getting conflicting information, and I have been told that inorder for a Spouse visa to be successful, aside from the £18600 stipuation, there also has to be documentary evidence of knowing each other for at least 2 years.

Is this 2 years of knowing each other a real requirement?

If so, what type of evidence would suffice to prove that there has been at least a relationship going back 2 years?

Thanks,

vinny

Re: Clarification for a Spousal Visa

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:14 am

bspin12 wrote:Is this 2 years of knowing each other a real requirement?
The 2 years relationship requirement is only necessary for unmarried partners.

It's not required for spouse. Marriage certificate required.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

avjones
Diamond Member

Re: Clarification for a Spousal Visa

Post by avjones » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:15 am

There isn't a distinction any more for spouse / unmarried partner visa. They both come under "partner" visa and the visa itself doesn't say which catagory the person falls into. There is a definition of "partner" within the Immigration Rules Appendix FM, and it means either (1) a lawful marriage or (2) living together in a relationship like marriage for 2 or more years.

So if you are married, you don't need to prove you've been living together for 2 years. If you prove you have been living together for 2 years, you don't need to prove you are married.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.