ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Jury service and NI payment

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chimerka
Newly Registered

Jury service and NI payment

Post by chimerka » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:36 am

Hi, I applied for PR qualifying as a worker, I am working for the same company 12 years. Last year I was on jury service for 8 weeks, so I got paid money by court instead of work and money I got paid were EXACTLY my NET money Id take home by work, so AFTER paying tax and NI contributions, this was counted by my work and I had to give letter to jury employee. I know , that 2 months break from work on jury service makes me still qualified as worker of course, that is not in question. First two weeks on jury were paid by my work,last 6 weeks by court. My question is , what if I my national insurance contributions were not paid during those 6 weeks? Surely my forced duty on jury, where Id be prosecuted if I refuse to do it could not be the reason ask me for Csi during that time. The fact, that court asked my work to give them amount of money NET and I was paid my NET money by court, not GROSS tells me, that is definitely not me, who should pay extra NI, as that would mean I am paying for jury service. But I do think its possible , that my NI wasn't paid during those 6 weeks. As far as I know I wasn't self sufficient and neither student, so surely as I was still worker , then my PR application should not be refused for NI which were not paid while on jury service. But jury service would never be self sufficient cathegory and calling myself self employed while on jury service is having a laugh right?

noajthan

Re: Jury service and NI payment

Post by noajthan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Payment of NI is not a determining factor here.
You remain a worker during jury service as you were still being employed by your employer.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.