ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

T2G HMRC

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

broken leg

T2G HMRC

Post by broken leg » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi mates

I hope if u could help me with this question; i will apply for ILR for 5 years route, i am currently on T2G and i have been working with different sponsors over the qualifying period. I never checked with HMRC , since i work in NHS and all the tax are automatically paid and i never did tax refund as i used to think it was very complicated.
Now i am applying for ILR and not sure whether to contact HMRC and if i need to contact them to confirm that i am clear i am not sure how to contact them..
i would appreciate your great help.

cheers

broken leg

Re: T2G HMRC

Post by broken leg » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:14 pm

guys any views!!!

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi ,

Seems like you are missing a bit important piece of information which needs to be mentioned : Are you employed or self employed ( or limited company structure )

Suppose you are :

Employed : All good to go just take your payslips , bank statements , P60 to HO and reset necessary documents from guideline .

Self employed / Limited company / Director : Allot of documents ref can be found here on board

Thanks
Thanks

Ali

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:18 am

aliq09 wrote:Hi ,

Seems like you are missing a bit important piece of information which needs to be mentioned : Are you employed or self employed ( or limited company structure )

Suppose you are :

Employed : All good to go just take your payslips , bank statements , P60 to HO and reset necessary documents from guideline .

Self employed / Limited company / Director : Allot of documents ref can be found here on board

Thanks
The OP is on Tier 2 General. OP can ONLY be employed. Self employment is not permitted on Tier 2 G.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

broken leg

Post by broken leg » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:43 pm

thanks for the reply
I am on T2 so i am employed and i must have the P60 from my employer, the only thing is that very rarely i was paid for extra work in cheques , but cos this was very small amounts and very sporadic i did not do tax for that... I am not sure what i am supposed to do now?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:47 pm

very rarely i was paid for extra work in cheques , but cos this was very small amounts and very sporadic i did not do tax for that
What exactly do you mean by this?? Your opening post says nothing about this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

broken leg

Post by broken leg » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:35 pm

well my main aim is to know whether I need to do anything with HMRC or not ie am i clear as far as tax concerned or not
as regarding to the extra-payment: I work with my main sponsor but very rarely my boss at work needs help with his private practice and he pays me in cheque , because these were rare occasions and because i never claimed any tax back i did not know that should be declared/ paid. (max i was paid few hundreds over the whole qualifying period)

my understanding is that even if i had a part-time job<20 hrs a week , this should be fine with my current T2G visa but I am concerned regarding the ILR application and tax part of it...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Part time work is only allowed if you are a PAYE employer. Did your 'boss' take off PAYE etc before paying you by cheque??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

broken leg

Post by broken leg » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:59 pm

I work in NHS and I am on PAYE..
that extra payment was a help on few occasions in private practice.
i am certain that was not against visa rules but my tax is the problem now.. I m not sure what to do to get a clearance for these payments?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Well it is a problem actually, you can only do part time or supplementary work as a PAYE. If you got paid a gross amount and not through payroll PAYE, then it is your responsibility to declare the income and pay tax on it, then it classes you as 'self employed' which is not permitted on Tier 2 G.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

broken leg

Post by broken leg » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:00 pm

mate where is it saying about PAYE ?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:31 pm

broken leg wrote:mate where is it saying about PAYE ?
You cannot be self employed on T2, even for supplemental work, has to be PAYE.

And even if it were allowed, you need to accont for the tax, which you plainly haven't.

The rules are simple.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:03 pm

There is some confusion about what supplementary employment constitutes. In my view, the conditions that need to be satisfied are (20 hours max per week, outside normal working hours of your main sponsor, and at the same level for which you had the CoS). Anyway, that aside, there is no requirement to submit a self-assessment form to HMRC if your extra income has been less than 2,500 ( https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-a-tax-return )...At some point, you can go online, or contact HMRC and pay the tax on the extra income (which by law you must), but since it is a small amount, and does not cross the threshold set by HMRC, it can probably wait until you apply and get your ILR, just to keep your case simple...my 2 cents..Please let us know how it goes..