ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for british nationality

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

applying for british nationality

Post by rogerroger » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:06 pm

Hi
I had a few questions on applying for british nationality

I got my ILR in August. When can i apply for british nationality
how long will it take and what documents do i need?

george_by
Newly Registered

Re: applying for british nationality

Post by george_by » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:01 pm

rogerroger wrote:Hi
I had a few questions on applying for british nationality

I got my ILR in August. When can i apply for british nationality
how long will it take and what documents do i need?
http://www.workpermit.com/uk/naturalisation.htm

Processing time is currently 8-9 months on average.

More at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... ality.html

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:09 pm

Assuming you are not married to a British Citizen, you need to have your ILR for at least one year before applying.

Much more info as in the link provided by george_by

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:48 pm

thanks guys

tibs
Newly Registered

Post by tibs » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:33 am

Please could someone enlighten if an ILR holder can claim public funds viz. child tax credit, child benefit.... without harming his or her British Nationality application.

What can (and cannot) one claim as an ILR holder (preferably link to the home office website) ?

Many Thanks

John

Post by John » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:57 am

Tibs .... there is a simple answer to your question .... look at the conditions on your visa! What, there aren't any? So absolutely no problem in claiming the Public Funds you mention.

Will that have an impact upon any application for naturalisation? No.

Also, a claim for tax credits .... it needs to be made jointly by a couple living together. But what if one of the couple has a "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction on their visa .... and the other does not, that is, is not a person "subject to immigration control"? The detailed regulations say that where that occurs there is no problem in making that joint claim. It does not breach the visa condition.

For example, a British citizen married to a spouse holding a visa with that "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction. No problem in them jointly submitting a claim for Tax Credits. And as regards Child Benefit .... which is claimed by one person ..... no problem in the British Citizen making that claim. (But the visa holder with that restriction must not be the Child Benefit claimant while they hold that restricted visa.)