ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 reg. for child born outside UK - qualifying period

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

back2uk2

MN1 reg. for child born outside UK - qualifying period

Post by back2uk2 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:36 am

Please help me with your advice.

My wife and I have both got ILR recently, and we have a child born outside UK who also got the ILR same time as my wife.
Does he need to wait for 1 year after obtaining ILR before becoming eligible to apply for registration as a british citizen on MN1 form?

Thanks.

noajthan

Re: MN1 reg. for child born outside UK - qualifying period

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:38 am

back2uk2 wrote:Please help me with your advice.

My wife and I have both got ILR recently, and we have a child born outside UK who also got the ILR same time as my wife.
Does he need to wait for 1 year after obtaining ILR before becoming eligible to apply for registration as a british citizen on MN1 form?

Thanks.
No. Waiting a year is only for adults making section 6(1) applications; not applicable to minors.

How old is child? Older teens may be expected to have spent a couple of years in UK. No such requirement on younger children.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:44 am

A child born abroad will only qualify to apply for citizenship if applying at the same time as either parent or after a parent has become British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

back2uk2

Post by back2uk2 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:53 am

My son is 9 years old.
From CR001's reply seems he does have to wait for 1 year, same as us parents.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:59 am

back2uk2 wrote:My son is 9 years old.
From CR001's reply seems he does have to wait for 1 year, same as us parents.
The devil is in the detail.
The child does not, by law, have to wait a year after her ILR; section 3(1) of BNA does not state that;
- in practice, child has to register at same time or later than parents naturalise.

if parents are delayed a year before at least one of them makes a 6(1) application then so be it. There is no such prescribed delay for a minor.

Second parent is not constrained to make a 6(1) application; they could make a 6(2) appplication - zero waiting time as a spouse.

If risk-averse you could even delay child's application to make sure parents are successful first (less risk to fees). Again none of this is mandated for minors.

back2uk2

Post by back2uk2 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks Noajthan for the detailed reply.

Meanwhile I was looking the requirements published from my local council who provides NCS, according to them evidence is required that at least one parent is /or is about to become a BC.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:42 am

back2uk2 wrote:Thanks Noajthan for the detailed reply.

Meanwhile I was looking the requirements published from my local council who provides NCS, according to them evidence is required that at least one parent is /or is about to become a BC.
Yes, apply at same time or if risk-averse child can apply after parents have been successful.
See MN1 guide and BNA for more detail.