ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-demonstrate English Lang Req for Citizenship App?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bodhisattva
Newly Registered

Re-demonstrate English Lang Req for Citizenship App?

Post by bodhisattva » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi all

I was under the impression that having demonstrated English language proficiency when getting ILR, I wouldn't have to do this again for citizenship!
From AN Booklet Pg 14: "If you have already satisfied the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK for settlement, by applying on or after 28 October 2013, you do not have to demonstrate it again."
For the ILR I had shown my wife's Indian degree to satisfy requirements using their PBS calculator.

However when I called up the NCS and HO they both said I needed UK NARIC statements for our citizenship application since they don't accept PBS certificates anymore. This means of course going to UK NARIC (and trying to get docs from India saying the degree was taught in English etc.) - but should I need to do this again since I've already proved this during ILR and their own document says I don't need to?

Casa

Re: Re-demonstrate English Lang Req for Citizenship App?

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:19 pm

You will now need to submit a NARIC ELA.

It may be simpler to take the B1 English test as the cost is the same @ £150
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:18 pm

bodhisattva wrote:Hi all

I was under the impression that having demonstrated English language proficiency when getting ILR, I wouldn't have to do this again for citizenship!
From AN Booklet Pg 14: "If you have already satisfied the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK for settlement, by applying on or after 28 October 2013, you do not have to demonstrate it again."
For the ILR I had shown my wife's Indian degree to satisfy requirements using their PBS calculator.

However when I called up the NCS and HO they both said I needed UK NARIC statements for our citizenship application since they don't accept PBS certificates anymore. This means of course going to UK NARIC (and trying to get docs from India saying the degree was taught in English etc.) - but should I need to do this again since I've already proved this during ILR and their own document says I don't need to?
The HO are known to request to see the same evidence again. This is fine for those that used a English B1 test that is no longer on the current SELT list used for ILR aftr 28 Oct 2013 and these are being accepted by the HO, meaning those with older B1 test need not demonstrate it again.

However, it's a problem for those that used PBS calculator for a overseas degree. The issue is that the HO still need to know that the same degree meets the requirements and since PBS calculator is no longer accepted, UK NARIC is the only method of doing this. In principle, you are still using the same degree as used for ILR, only the method of proving it meets the requirement has changed since PBS is no longer accepted.

Since the cost of UK NARIC is the same as doing a English B1 test as pointed out by Casa, most people just do the English B1 for convenience as its just a 10 min test.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

bodhisattva
Newly Registered

Post by bodhisattva » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Thanks very much for your advice.

In the end we went down the NARIC route just for the permanency of the certificates - now we have them we can use them for anything else (unlikely as it is) - and convenience: I could do it all online.

newbie0203
India

Post by newbie0203 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:05 pm

bodhisattva wrote:Hi all

I can confirm that you do not need to provide Naric Letter or B1 certificate if you have proved Language requirement for ILR after Oct 2013 as I got my approval today and I never submitted even my degree with the application. I have already written it many time since and there is no need for this. You can also check multiple approvals for other people who selected this option and didn't submit NARIC letter or B1.

Hope this helps.