ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will Form T be rejected?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

VOR
Newly Registered

Will I be able to travel?

Post by VOR » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Apologies if I have not posted this in the right section

I was born in the UK after 1983 to foreign parents who were not married or settled in the UK at the time of my birth.

Because of this, I have been informed that I cannot obtain a british passport. However, I do have a passport from the country of my parents

I am a postgraduate student and as part of my University course (which began in Sept 16) all students have to take a mandatory trip to Spain in April 2017. It is a 7 days study trip and I will require a Visa for Spain and the UK.

Does anyone know if I can obtain a Visa for entry back into the UK? Will this be possible? Which visa do I need to apply for? Can I obtain this before April?

If it helps, I have spent all of my life in the UK

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Will I be able to travel?

Post by sah10406 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:43 pm

What is your nationality? Have you never left the UK before? Do you and/or your parents not have permanent residence in the UK?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:47 pm

All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:44 pm

sah10406 wrote:What is your nationality? Have you never left the UK before? Do you and/or your parents not have permanent residence in the UK?
My nationality is Ghanaian
I have never left the UK before. I have resided in the UK since birth
My mother does not have permanent residence in the UK
I believe that my father did have permanent residence, but it will be difficult to reach him at this time

@noajthan thank you for the form..

However, I wanted to clarify whether it applies to me as I have lived here for over 20+yrs continuously?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:58 am

Agree with noajthan. You are entitled to register as a British citizen.

Apply quickly under the joint citizenship and passport scheme (JCAPS) at your local council and you may be able to travel with a British passport in time.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:24 pm

vinny wrote:Agree with noajthan. You are entitled to register as a British citizen.

Apply quickly under the joint citizenship and passport scheme (JCAPS) at your local council and you may be able to travel with a British passport in time.
Vinny Thank you for the info regarding the joint citizenship and passport scheme (JCAPS)

Unfortunately, when I looked on the list of councils, my local one was not on the the list (Croydon). Does this exclude me from applying for this scheme? Or can I apply under any council? e.g. Kent

Also, I wanted to know whether it would be possible to use my Ghanaian passport to travel to Spain and fly back to the UK to finish off my studies? I do not believe that it will be difficult to fly to Spain, but re-entering the UK is what I am worried about.

Do you have any advice on the best/quickest route to enable my travel/obtain a UK Visa? Could I apply for a student visa?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:38 pm

NCS Croydon:You do have one at:
Croydon Register Office
Mint Walk
Croydon
CRO 1EA
Phone: 020 8726 6300, Fax: 020 8760 5633, Email: register.office@croydon.gov.uk
https://www.croydon.gov.uk/community/citizenships/ncs

For the other question I defer to the more knowledgeable members.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:59 pm

Without a valid visa for re-entry into the UK the airline will not permit you to travel.

You can submit your BC application at any NCS office. Kent was one of the counties involved in the trial of the JCAP service.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:35 pm

I would like to thank you all for your help. I am glad that I can go to any council..

It is a long shot, but while I sort this out, I do hope that something can be done/worked out visa wise with my Ghanaian passport..

I desperately need to attend this trip as part of my postgraduate degree. I wonder if my MP can help in any way?

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:29 am

Can anyone confirm whether I have filled out the correct form

I have filled out 'FORM T', but I am worried that this form is for child applicants ie those up to 10yrs of age.

However according to some of the council website they are stating that
'Most people fill in the

Application for naturalisation as a British citizen: form AN

Can anyone confirm the form I must fill out? Just to reiterate, I am adult, in my 20s

Also I wanted to ask if my father had permanent residence in the UK (many years after my birth) - would this make a difference to my situation?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:19 am

Yes, form T, as per guidance:
An application may be made by an adult or a minor
Father settling later can't help.

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:48 am

Thank you noajthan

Glad to know that I have filled in the correct form

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Section 1(4) registrations (form T) are not very common as it's obviously not a common situation.

The eligibility requirements are that you:

1) were born in the UK
2) have lived in the UK for the first 10 years of your life with minimal absences (max 90 days per year)

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:53 pm

As 'Form T' is not very common, does this infer that processing time may be shorter? Mods, in your experience how long is the typical turnaround for JCAPS?

Doing some research I have noticed that in order to speed up the process, if your application is approved, you can book a private ceremony within a few days.. Per my understanding the quicker you do the ceremony, the quicker you receive your passport.

Does anyone have any additional advice on ways to speed up this process?

Are all councils the same? i.e is there a difference between who you go to?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:30 pm

The majority of elapsed time will be in processing form not in arranging a ceremony.
A few days here or there at the end will be just a small %.

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:38 pm

So in your opinion is it not worthwhile booking a private ceremony as it will only speed up the process by a few days? ie nothing significant

Obtaining my records to show that I was in the UK from birth to 10yrs has been a struggle.

I have had no luck from a few places I have gone to. The nursery I went to no longer exists. My doctor has simply said that 'they will see what they can do' but this could take 2 weeks. One school is not sure whether they kept records from my time and I contact the Archive Museums and they couldn't help either.

If I cannot get all the required information, what would you guys advise I do? Perhaps write a letter to explain why I cannot get school confirmation from age 3-6 etc?

Also who would be the best person to talk to in order to get advice regarding possible travel using Ghanaian passport?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Given your number of options, I advise you get one-to-one professional immigration advice from someone who can look at your situation in detail.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:41 am

Given my situation, would it be possible to apply under the 'visa premium service?'

According to the gov website it says that if you’re already in the UK and want to: settle permanently (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) then you can apply

It then goes on to say that a qualified person includes those who are studying i.e. me.

Could this be a viable route?

Regarding immigration advice, what is the consensus on a good place to get advice?

VOR
Newly Registered

Form T Evidence Issue

Post by VOR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:00 pm

I am applying for British Citizenship (JCAP) using 'Form-T'.

I am gathering my evidence to show that I resided in the UK for the first 10 years of my life.

-I have my medical records from my GP
-I have the primary school I attended from age 8-11
-Birth certificate

However, the nursery school I attended, no longer exists and the primary school I attended (from age 3-7yrs) have just told me that they only kept pupil records from 2007 i.e. not from the dates I require

What I want to know is whether my application will be rejected on this basis? i.e. no nursery or primary school record from 3-7. Or will my medical record suffice?

Would it help if I asked the school to put in writing that they only hold records from 2007?

Is there anymore that I can do?

vinny

Re: Form T Evidence Issue

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:05 am

VOR wrote:I am applying for British Citizenship (JCAP) using 'Form-T'.

I am gathering my evidence to show that I resided in the UK for the first 10 years of my life.

-I have my medical records from my GP
-I have the primary school I attended from age 8-11
-Birth certificate

However, the nursery school I attended, no longer exists and the primary school I attended (from age 3-7yrs) have just told me that they only kept pupil records from 2007 i.e. not from the dates I require

What I want to know is whether my application will be rejected on this basis? i.e. no nursery or primary school record from 3-7. Or will my medical record suffice?

Would it help if I asked the school to put in writing that they only hold records from 2007?

Is there anymore that I can do?
Do you have all your passports since birth until 10?
Does your medical records cover you for that period?
How much travelling outside the UK did you do?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:44 pm

I received some positive news today. My primary school (age 3-7) have informed me that they can now confirm my attendance/registration

So all that is missing is the nursery school, which has closed down.

vinny wrote:
VOR wrote:Do you have all your passports since birth until 10?
Does your medical records cover you for that period?
How much travelling outside the UK did you do?
Vinny, I have never had a passport before. Consequently, I have never traveled outside of the UK

Unfortunately, I have not officially received the medical records. They have been prepared, however the Doctor has not sign off on them. I now need the medical records to cover me from birth to three years and beyond

Hopefully they will.. However if the medical records do not cover me (particularly from 0-3), what would you suggest I do?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:48 pm

HO will also be able to see you have had no passport and therefore could not have travelled, at least not on a British passport.
You could point that out in a brief cover letter.
So as long as you have no other passport it helps make your travel history clearer.

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Outstanding! You guys are superstars!

Will keep you posted on my journey to obtain citizenship and a British passport :mrgreen:

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Perhaps you could get confirmation from your Embassy of nationality that they have never issued you a passport, nor have you been included in a parent's passport? Their confirmation of your lack of any travel documents and, therefore, your inability to travel outside the UK may be helpful. Hopefully, UK Border Force should also be able to verify that you have never travelled.

It should then be a trivial matter to satisfy the requirements of your entitlement for registration.

VOR
Newly Registered

Post by VOR » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:49 pm

vinny wrote:Perhaps you could get confirmation from your Embassy of nationality that they have never issued you a passport, nor have you been included in a parent's passport?
This is where things get a little tricky

A few weeks ago, I actually applied for my 1st passport from the Embassy of my nationality (Ghana).. I have been told that I will receive it in a few weeks time.

If I am honest, time is of the essence for me right now (as I hope to travel in April). I know my embassy and they may take weeks just to preparing such a document.

All I want to do is get my medical records and book an appointment with the council. However , if the consensus is that the letter from the embassy will really help, I will enquire