ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for child born overseas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mkraja

British Passport for child born overseas

Post by mkraja » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi there,

I have a question on a child's nationality, born overseas to a British father, non British mother.

Does father's nationality matter at the time of child's conception? Father being non British at the time of conception of child, but British when the child is born, would the child be eligible for a British passport overseas?

Passport Offices do ask for father's passports at the time of child's conception.

Kind regards

noajthan

Re: British Passport for child born overseas

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Parent (father)'s nationality at time (date) of birth is the key factor.

Although I have seen passport guidance for some countries that contains this rather strange requirement it must be fraught with practical and logistical difficulties. And its unclear what purpose and possible practical use such information could render.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:58 pm

mkraja wrote:Passport Offices do ask for father's passports at the time of child's conception.
Really!!?? Do they quote any rules stating this requirements?

As noajthan has stated, either one parent being a British citizen on the date of birth is sufficient for the child to be born a British citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Proving or disproving the exact date of conception would be a tall order! :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Example of such guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _10.16.pdf
"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there"
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mkraja

Post by mkraja » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:53 am

Thank you all, No, they dont mention any rule when they ask for "all passports at the time of child's conception".

Heard of any refusals based on such a thing?

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:04 am

mkraja wrote:Thank you all, No, they dont mention any rule when they ask for "all passports at the time of child's conception".

Well it makes sense that as there is no such rule, there wouldn't be a refusal. You're over-complicating this. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mkraja

Post by mkraja » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:11 am

Ok, thanks for your help :)

mkraja

Post by mkraja » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi all, following from the above, hmpo durham has asked british father to attend an interview. Any idea what it might involve? What info should be readily available at such interview?

Regards

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Possibly proof of paternity. Were you married to the child's mother at the time of their birth?
(Casa, not CR001)

mkraja

Post by mkraja » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Yes was married and have another child as well born before BC

ade12
Newly Registered

Post by ade12 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:54 pm

mkraja wrote:Thank you all, No, they dont mention any rule when they ask for "all passports at the time of child's conception".

so that means child conception date requirement on the passport doesn,t effect or refusal of the application i appreciated for the reply as iam waiting hmpo durham outcome to my childs thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:07 am

There is no requirement to know the date of conception for nationality purposes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.