ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on Good character requirement required

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

auxxyy
Newly Registered

Advice on Good character requirement required

Post by auxxyy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Hello moderators,

I'm planning to apply for BC after getting my PR issued last March through the helpful advise/info I gathered from this board. My journey:

First entered the uk on the seasonal agriculture workers scheme (SAWS) in June 2006, left and returned on a working holiday maker visa (2years) in July 2007 but overstayed until I met my wife, an EEA national. We were married on October 2010 and I got RC in March 2011 and PR in March 2016.

Now, I requested for a full SAR to verify if my period of overstay had been documented as I fear it could affect my application for BC adversely but I couldn't find it clearly documented in the SAR report. Is there a way to find this on the SAR? And can I assume it'll not affect my BC application? If it'd, when can I apply for BC? Thanks in advance in anticipation of any assistance.

auxxyy
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on Good character requirement required

Post by auxxyy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:02 am

auxxyy wrote:Hello moderators,

I'm planning to apply for BC after getting my PR issued last March through the helpful advise/info I gathered from this board. My journey:

First entered the uk on the seasonal agriculture workers scheme (SAWS) in June 2006, left and returned on a working holiday maker visa (2years) in July 2007 but overstayed until I met my wife, an EEA national. We were married on October 2010 and I got RC in March 2011 and PR in March 2016.

Now, I requested for a full SAR to verify if my period of overstay had been documented as I fear it could affect my application for BC adversely but I couldn't find it clearly documented in the SAR report. Is there a way to find this on the SAR? And can I assume it'll not affect my BC application? If it'd, when can I apply for BC? Thanks in advance in anticipation of any assistance.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:59 am

Risky. When did your working holiday visa expire? As you have likely attracted the 10 year citizenship ban, which starts from the date you become legal.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:14 am

It won't show up in the SAR. It will need to be disclosed when you are applying for citizenship, because you will need to disclose your immigration history. As they will have that on their system, once it is put cogently in a timeline, they will see that you overstayed between the end of your working holiday maker visa and your marriage to the EEA Citizen.
auxxyy wrote:when can I apply for BC?
Tenth anniversary of your marriage to the EEA citizen. The marriage made you legally resident again.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

auxxyy
Newly Registered

Post by auxxyy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:16 am

ohara wrote:Risky. When did your working holiday visa expire? As you have likely attracted the 10 year citizenship ban, which starts from the date you become legal.
@ohara: thanks for your time and input. My WHM expired in April 2009. So did I became legal on date of marriage which was by proxy or by the date I was issued RC? Thanks

auxxyy
Newly Registered

Post by auxxyy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:19 am

secret.simon wrote:It won't show up in the SAR. It will need to be disclosed when you are applying for citizenship, because you will need to disclose your immigration history. As they will have that on their system, once it is put cogently in a timeline, they will see that you overstayed between the end of your working holiday maker visa and your marriage to the EEA Citizen.

@secret.simon: thanks for that information. Very helpful!
auxxyy wrote:when can I apply for BC?
Tenth anniversary of your marriage to the EEA citizen. The marriage made you legally resident again.