ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC When does the 10 year Good Character Requirement Start?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shaggie44
Newly Registered
Mood:
Zimbabwe

BC When does the 10 year Good Character Requirement Start?

Post by shaggie44 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi guys,

I currently have ILR (Refugee Protection) which I got in 2014 after the 5year Refugee status (2009). Intention was to naturalise a year after ILR but of cause the law changed (10 year Good Character Requirement).

I am just wondering if I can get some help/advice to aid me in taking on chancing applying this year or waiting for 2 more years (which is not ideal as the travel document is limiting me accepting job offers in countries that don’t accept travel documents).

BACKGROUND

Came to UK 1999 (Student Visa which expired 2001) due to other reasons I was illegal till 2009 when I applied for asylum.

My question is when does the 10 year clock start? 2001 when visa expired or 2009 when I got Refugee status?

secret.simon

Re: BC When does the 10 year Good Character Requirement Star

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:18 pm

10 years from the time you became legal in the UK, so 10 years from the time you were granted the Refugee visa.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

secret.simon

Re: BC When does the 10 year Good Character Requirement Star

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Also see this thread about refugees applying for citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.