ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying my LAO girlfriend in the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ianwrd4
Newly Registered

Marrying my LAO girlfriend in the UK

Post by ianwrd4 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:10 am

Hello all
I apologise if this has been covered previously. Right now I just don’t have the time to look extensively within this web site & need a quick response if at all possible. Thank you!

Ok to cut a long story short I live in Thailand with my Loa girlfriend, we have been together for 7 years this March & would like to get married back in my country of birth - Wales. We have no intentions of staying in the UK, apart from short visits as before.
She is already in possession of a 2 year multi entry visitor’s visa, which enables us to travel to & from the UK when required.
I would just like to know what I have to do so that we can get married in a registry office in the UK. Time is very critical for me as I am a contractor in the Oil & Gas industry and spend most of my time away working worldwide. So timescale is important, and also what documents would my partner require, and whatever else you feel is important?

Thank you very much in advance
IW

ohara
Diamond Member

Re: Marrying my LAO girlfriend in the UK

Post by ohara » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:17 am

ianwrd4
Newly Registered

Post by ianwrd4 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks for that, thats a few issues answered but are you sure another visa is required as she already has a 2 year visa. It has to be a marriage visa?
Now for the regisry office: I assume we cant just walk into a registry office and get married. What does this involve. Does she need to stay in the UK for a time period before marriage, is there is a waiting time for a lisense to marry etc etc
Thanks in advance!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 am

ianwrd4 wrote:Thanks for that, thats a few issues answered but are you sure another visa is required as she already has a 2 year visa. It has to be a marriage visa?
Now for the regisry office: I assume we cant just walk into a registry office and get married. What does this involve. Does she need to stay in the UK for a time period before marriage, is there is a waiting time for a lisense to marry etc etc
Thanks in advance!
Marriage visa.

Check your local council Registrar website for the statutory notice periods & etc.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:26 am

ianwrd4 wrote:Now for the regisry office: I assume we cant just walk into a registry office and get married. What does this involve. Does she need to stay in the UK for a time period before marriage, is there is a waiting time for a lisense to marry etc etc
Thanks in advance!
No, you can't just walk in and get married. You are first required to give 28 days notice at an HO approved Registry office due to her being a Non-EU citizen. This notice period can then be extended to 70 days for HO to investigate and/or interview each of you separately. Once HO is happy, they will give you permission to marry.

She should be on a marriage visitor visa to marry. Some people have in the past managed to do it on a visitor visa but she has to submit her passport and right to be in the UK which will be checked.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ianwrd4
Newly Registered

Post by ianwrd4 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:43 am

Great! Thanks again! Would she submit her passport at the registery office, or would she need to go elsewhere?
Thanks in advance
Regards
IW

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:44 am

ianwrd4 wrote:Great! Thanks again! Would she submit her passport at the registery office, or would she need to go elsewhere?
Thanks in advance
Regards
IW
It is the Registry office that needs to see the passport and visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ianwrd4
Newly Registered

Post by ianwrd4 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:53 am

And one final question as she is a citizen of another country does she need any other documents apart from her passport?
Thanks in advance
Regards
IW

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am

You will need to check with whichever HO designation Registry you go to what their requirements are. Some Registry's ask for proof of address/residence, which is why it is important that she has the correct visa for the purpose of her visit.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ianwrd4
Newly Registered

Post by ianwrd4 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:07 am

Ok fantastic. Now I have a clear path to follow, I will contact my local registry office and take it from there.
Thank you very much for your time
Kind regards
IW