ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Love knows no boarders

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MacieLouann
Newly Registered

Love knows no boarders

Post by MacieLouann » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 am

Hi everyone! I am a US citizen who studied abroad in Scotland over a year ago and fell in love with a British citizen. We have been dating now for just over a year and I am just about to finish my degree here in the US and want nothing more than to be in Scotland with my boyfriend.

I am looking at graduate and research programs in Scotland in the hopes that it will help us in our journey to living in the same country but i still wonder if i should look at any other options?

Our plan now is to further my education in Scotland, that way he and i can build up our relationship credibility (work on saving money, saving bank statements, putting our name on things together, ect.) and when I am finished he and i will apply for a partner or marriage visa (hopefully with the help of the supporting documents we have from living in the same place for 2-4 years while on a student visa will help), or pray i find a job in the area and stay in the UK on a work visa until i can apply for residence or indefinite leave to remain.

It seem like a long path, but its worth the wait. I am just wondering if i am taking the right steps or if there is something else i should be doing?

Any advice, tips, or support is welcomed! Thanks in advance!

ohara
Diamond Member

Re: Love knows no boarders

Post by ohara » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:15 am

You're generating a good paper trail, which is a start. There are a few options to remain in the UK, depending on your skills. There's no generic "work visa" any more; Tier 2 General is your best bet if you are highly skilled, even more so if you are skilled in an area which is on the shortage occupation list. https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

The spouse settlement route will be available to you once you have solid evidence of being in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years. Or immediately if you marry your partner. https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/eligibility

The most important thing to do is make sure you keep on the good side of the law! Get all your visa applications/extensions etc in on time, and whatever you do, don't be tempted to break the rules (working longer than permitted as a student etc) and definitely don't overstay for any reason. It will only cause you headaches in the future for things like ILR, and perhaps citizenship.

Casa

Re: Love knows no boarders

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:05 am

Be wary of having too long a gap while you are in the US which could break the continuance of the required 2 years of co-habitation you're trying to achieve. I believe 3 months apart is generally accepted.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.