ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

salmintin

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by salmintin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:47 pm

noajthan wrote:
salmintin wrote:...
This is not an action replay of a PR application.

It is not necessary to prove you were working.
It is not necessary to justify unemployment.
Economic activity is not mandatory when naturalising.

If you did work you just have to submit proof of meeting tax/NI obligations.

Aside from that you still have to prove residence in UK. As per AN guidance.
That is where letters from government, quasi-government and other official bodies (university, employers, medical authorities & etc etc) can help.
Thanks. I guess my main concerns are the periods with no activity of any kind :roll: For example the time between course end and graduation ceremony (then I went on holiday, so I can't "connect" those days with jobseeking & employment). Or the times I was a jobseeker. Am I wrong to be concerned about these gaps?

There is very little "official" evidence you can show for such gaps. :roll: But I read in many cases here that in such situations you may get away with providing bills, bank statements (with address on them) etc. Am I approaching this correctly?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:26 pm

salmintin wrote:Thanks. I guess my main concerns are the periods with no activity of any kind :roll: For example the time between course end and graduation ceremony (then I went on holiday, so I can't "connect" those days with jobseeking & employment). Or the times I was a jobseeker. Am I wrong to be concerned about these gaps?

There is very little "official" evidence you can show for such gaps. :roll: But I read in many cases here that in such situations you may get away with providing bills, bank statements (with address on them) etc. Am I approaching this correctly?
Periods with no activity are fine. And with PR you are settled.
Aside from that you just have to prove residence in UK
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Megi
Newly Registered

Post by Megi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:36 pm

noajthan wrote:
This is not an action replay of a PR application.

It is not necessary to prove you were working.
It is not necessary to justify unemployment.
Economic activity is not mandatory when naturalising.

If you did work you just have to submit proof of meeting tax/NI obligations.

Aside from that you still have to prove residence in UK. As per AN guidance.
That is where letters from government, quasi-government and other official bodies (university, employers, medical authorities & etc etc) can help.
A bit similar problem here.
I'm an EU citizen, I have DCPR based on my husband's work (EU, full time job for the last 10 years, same employer, wrs) and wonder how to fill in Employment Section, because I do not work myself.
I've mainly looked after our kids for the last few years (was self employed for some time) and was employed before we had kids. Do I only mention my employment/self employment activity and don't worry about the gap years?

Would it be alright, if I provide HMRC statement showing my NI contributions for the past 10 years as a proof I have full years paid (checked it already and it looks alright)?

And what about proving my residence for the last 5 years? I don't quite understand whether it's obligatory to provide all the letters and support documents along with passports and national identity cards or the letters are needed only in case of gaps between passports.

I started to worry whether I am eligible to apply for BC at all...

Would it be better if in my case I waited until my husband's naturalisation and apply as a BC spouse?

I would be grateful for any help.

Superlaylay
Newly Registered

Post by Superlaylay » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi guys,

I am currently filling out my brother's AN application, however, I am stuck at the part where to prove his eligibility of his the English Language. He completed his degree at Roehampton University, a British institute. I have no problem that he satisfies the requirement. My question is, how should I fill out section 1.22?

Thank you kindly in advance

Superlaylay

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Superlaylay wrote:Hi guys,

I am currently filling out my brother's AN application, however, I am stuck at the part where to prove his eligibility of his the English Language. He completed his degree at Roehampton University, a British institute. I have no problem that he satisfies the requirement. My question is, how should I fill out section 1.22?

Thank you kindly in advance

Superlaylay
You tick the box for Life in the UK test and complete the test number row of blocks.

For English, you tick the option I have quoted below.
ii.
the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Megi wrote:A bit similar problem here.
I'm an EU citizen, I have DCPR based on my husband's work (EU, full time job for the last 10 years, same employer, wrs) and wonder how to fill in Employment Section, because I do not work myself.
I've mainly looked after our kids for the last few years (was self employed for some time) and was employed before we had kids. Do I only mention my employment/self employment activity and don't worry about the gap years?

Would it be alright, if I provide HMRC statement showing my NI contributions for the past 10 years as a proof I have full years paid (checked it already and it looks alright)?

And what about proving my residence for the last 5 years? I don't quite understand whether it's obligatory to provide all the letters and support documents along with passports and national identity cards or the letters are needed only in case of gaps between passports.

I started to worry whether I am eligible to apply for BC at all...

Would it be better if in my case I waited until my husband's naturalisation and apply as a BC spouse?

I would be grateful for any help.
Just list work - that's all history question asks for.
Yes include docs to show tax/NI obligations mwt.

If passports weren't stamped include proof of residence.

No need to wait for hubby - you can do this.
But if hubby relies on you to acquire his PR then hold off until he has his PR in the bag.

Megi
Newly Registered

Post by Megi » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:01 am

noajthan wrote: Just list work - that's all history question asks for.
Yes include docs to show tax/NI obligations mwt.

If passports weren't stamped include proof of residence.

No need to wait for hubby - you can do this.
But if hubby relies on you to acquire his PR then hold off until he has his PR in the bag.
Thanks a lot!

We received DCPR together at the same time, so at least this is sorted. It was so much easier to prove residence when applying for the cards. This time no obvious guidance for cases like my own.

What about a letter/statement from my dentist? I've been with them for over 6 years and never miss a checkup. Anyone tried it as an evidence and got accepted?

I have some letters from HMRC and NHS, but definitely not covering month after month.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:26 am

Megi wrote:Thanks a lot!

We received DCPR together at the same time, so at least this is sorted. It was so much easier to prove residence when applying for the cards. This time no obvious guidance for cases like my own.

What about a letter/statement from my dentist? I've been with them for over 6 years and never miss a checkup. Anyone tried it as an evidence and got accepted?

I have some letters from HMRC and NHS, but definitely not covering month after month.
Read the AN documents: form, Guide and Booklet.

Proofs of residence:
  • Tax documents;
    Council tax bills;
    Utility bills;
    Voter registration/electoral roll;
    Insurance (house/car etc);
    Driver's license;
    School letters (to parent if you have a child);
    Health authority letters;
    Doctor/dentist/optician/clinic records;
    Church/temple/mosque records;
& etc etc

Megi
Newly Registered

Post by Megi » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 am

noajthan wrote:
Read the AN documents: form, Guide and Booklet.

Proofs of residence:
  • Tax documents;
    Council tax bills;
    Utility bills;
    Voter registration/electoral roll;
    Insurance (house/car etc);
    Driver's license;
    School letters (to parent if you have a child);
    Health authority letters;
    Doctor/dentist/optician/clinic records;
    Church/temple/mosque records;
& etc etc
Thanks for the list :) I read AN form, booklet AN and Guide AN and the most specific information I found was:
Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married to or in civil
partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application
• Your passports OR say why you are unable to provide one on page 24 and
supply
• Letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government
Departments indicating the applicant’s presence in the United Kingdom during
the relevant period.

But maybe I missed something or looked in a wrong place? Sorry if I did.

In addition, on a Wandsworth NCS website about required documents proving residence I read: Passport or travel documents to cover the last 5 years - if your passport does not cover the last five years or there are gaps between your passports, you must provide other evidence of living in the UK, such as: benefit letters, college/school letters, P60s, wage slips. Bills, bank statements, council tax letters are not acceptable.

So it left my totally confused. Thank you for clarifying this!
Do I have to cover 5 years month after month or a few, evenly spread letters for each year will be fine?

Ldee
Mood:
Zimbabwe

Post by Ldee » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:50 am

salmintin wrote:
AN FORM
1.50 Employment history in UK during past 10 years, or since date of entry if you have been
here for less than 10 years

AN GUIDE
You must provide details of all your National Insurance contributions made
for your current and previous employment during the past 10 years. To support this
claim evidence can be in the form of payslips, P60s covering the relevant period, or a
letter(s) from the employer(s) confirming you have worked for them, from the start
and finish date.

If you do not pay income tax through PAYE you must demonstrate that you have
discharged your obligations towards the H.M. Revenue & Customs, by attaching a
Self Assessment Statement of Account.
Hi,
Can you please help I'm in a bit of a similar situation quoted above and I'm stuck as what correct information to provide on this section see attached screenshot: https://puu.sh/tsKha/1913885b5c.png

My situation is 2007 -2010 I was under immigration control was not engaged in any employment until 2010 when I was granted Asylum refugee status.

From 2010 - 2015 I decided to become a full time University student surviving with the support of Student Finance of England. I have now completed and graduated last November with Bachelors Degree.

From 2014 - 2017 I also became self employed and I can provide self assessment statements from HMRC.

My questions are:

1.My employment history does does not fall under 10 year period from the time I was under immigration control. So should I also fill boxes in From to To fields of section 1.50 stating that: eg From 2007 -2010 I was under immigration control was not engaged in any employment until 2010 when I was granted Asylum refugee status.

2.Should I also include in the same section table 1.50 From 2010 -2105 I was a full time student or should complete separate sheet attached.

Since my only employment history I have is 2014 to present. How I do suffice the employment history in UK during past 10 years.

Can someone also please shed light on what boxes I should tick here :Section 1.22 page 7 of 31 see attached screenshot

https://puu.sh/tsLRD/2507e33cfe.png

I have graduated with Bachelor degree from Uk University. Do I need to send the both the original certificate and transcript or just certificate alone?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Ldee wrote:Hi,
Can you please help I'm in a bit of a similar situation quoted above and I'm stuck as what correct information to provide on this section see attached screenshot: https://puu.sh/tsKha/1913885b5c.png

My situation is 2007 -2010 I was under immigration control was not engaged in any employment until 2010 when I was granted Asylum refugee status.

From 2010 - 2015 I decided to become a full time University student surviving with the support of Student Finance of England. I have now completed and graduated last November with Bachelors Degree.

From 2014 - 2017 I also became self employed and I can provide self assessment statements from HMRC.

My questions are:

1.My employment history does does not fall under 10 year period from the time I was under immigration control. So should I also fill boxes in From to To fields of section 1.50 stating that: eg From 2007 -2010 I was under immigration control was not engaged in any employment until 2010 when I was granted Asylum refugee status.

2.Should I also include in the same section table 1.50 From 2010 -2105 I was a full time student or should complete separate sheet attached.

Since my only employment history I have is 2014 to present. How I do suffice the employment history in UK during past 10 years.

Can someone also please shed light on what boxes I should tick here :Section 1.22 page 7 of 31 see attached screenshot

https://puu.sh/tsLRD/2507e33cfe.png

I have graduated with Bachelor degree from Uk University. Do I need to send the both the original certificate and transcript or just certificate alone?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
You only need to state the employment you have had. The form does say '....or since date of entry'. Not everyone has been in the UK for 10 years or been employed for 10 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Megi
Newly Registered

Post by Megi » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:05 pm

I'm back on supporting documents to prove residence, because I was answered by my local NCS on this matter.

Their understanding of Government Departments is The Inland Revenue and The Department for Works and Pensions plus EU nationals can supply alternative evidence of residence:

If seeking Employment :- Application acknowledgements, invitations for interview, letters of rejection or appointment at some future date.

Applicants not in Employment :- Letters from the DSS confirming receipt of unemployment benefit or income support or receipt of other benefits.

And if all else fails a letter from the doctor with all appointments for the last 5 years plus the letter from the dentist can be attached, but it will be down to the HO whether to accept it or not.

They underlined that utility bills, council tax, mortgage statements, bank statements etc can't be accepted.

I have a Child Benefit award letter plus bank statements showing I still receive it. That's it.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:37 pm

The NCS is just an agent.
And in any case if you didn't have the foresight to generate the 'correct' papertrail on your immigration journey you can only submit what you have got.

My wife was not working and not on benefits so had none of those listed docs;
she submitted most of the docs I listed (except driver's license) - via NCS.

Megi
Newly Registered

Post by Megi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Thanks, noajthan. I hope NCS accepts whatever I've got and so does HO. Fingers crossed!

faisal7412
Newly Registered

Post by faisal7412 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi, I'm going to apply for naturalisation in few days. my question is i am self-employed and doing a part time job as well, what should I write in the employment details.

many thanks

juggurnaut
Newly Registered

Post by juggurnaut » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi,

I am planning to apply for British citizenship. I have got UKNARIC certificate which suggests I have equivalent Bachelor's degree and English level qualification. What should I fill in section 1.23 as it is bit confusing after filling all required details in 1.22?

Do I need to give any English language test even after I have UKNARIC certificate which says that my degree was taught or researched in English?

Any help would be appreciate.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:41 pm

faisal7412 wrote:Hi, I'm going to apply for naturalisation in few days. my question is i am self-employed and doing a part time job as well, what should I write in the employment details.

many thanks
Employed + self-employed.

juggurnaut
Newly Registered

Post by juggurnaut » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:22 pm

juggurnaut wrote:Hi,

I am planning to apply for British citizenship. I have got UKNARIC certificate which suggests I have equivalent Bachelor's degree and English level qualification. What should I fill in section 1.23 as it is bit confusing after filling all required details in 1.22?

Do I need to give any English language test even after I have UKNARIC certificate which says that my degree was taught or researched in English?

Any help with this query will be appreciated!!!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:26 pm

juggurnaut wrote:

Skip Q1.23 as not applicable if evidence is degree+NARIC.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:26 pm

juggurnaut wrote:

You need the UKVI NARIC ELA. When did you get ILR?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

juggurnaut
Newly Registered

Post by juggurnaut » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:04 pm

noajthan wrote:
juggurnaut wrote:

Skip Q1.23 as not applicable if evidence is degree+NARIC.
Thank you !!!

juggurnaut
Newly Registered

Post by juggurnaut » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:05 pm

CR001 wrote:
juggurnaut wrote:

You need the UKVI NARIC ELA. When did you get ILR?
I have got the UK NARIC certificates. I got ILR back in June 2014.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm

[quote="juggurnaut"I have got the UK NARIC certificates. I got ILR back in June 2014.[/quote]
Then tick the box that said you met the requirement after 28 October 2013.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

safatafa
Member of Standing

Post by safatafa » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 am

hi gurus
if my wife was a partner in a limited company in 2012 for 3 months and the partnership broke off do i need to declare that in employment history.
she is no more employed and doesn't have any dues with hmrc as this is self employment and she was well within her limits of taxable income?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 am

safatafa wrote:hi gurus
if my wife was a partner in a limited company in 2012 for 3 months and the partnership broke off do i need to declare that in employment history.
she is no more employed and doesn't have any dues with hmrc as this is self employment and she was well within her limits of taxable income?
Yes, it is employment. HO want ALL employment declared on the form.
Char (CR001 not Casa)