ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Second Original Documents Request - Residency

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gtht

Second Original Documents Request - Residency

Post by gtht » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:03 pm

We just got another documents request from the Home Office. There still want evidence that we resided here from April 2015. We sent them our passports from the first request. I always wondered how helpful that would be as the two most frequent destinations (USA and Europe) would not be stamped by our American and Italian passports. So now they want alternative evidence. For my wife that would be simple: pay slips and P60s. For me, as I'm self-employed, they want statement of tax payments. Per self-assessment, I only pay a few times a year. Is that going to satisfy them? I thought this was already figured out from the DCPR?

Anybody seen this before?

thanks
DCPR Applied: 12/5/2016
DCPR Received: 7/9/2016
BC Applied: 3/11/2016
BC Approved: 23/3/2017
Ceremony: 25/4/2017

dapto10

Re: Second Original Documents Request - Residency

Post by dapto10 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:43 pm

If you are an EEA national, passport won't be enough sadly. They will need evidence as European travel is not registered in your passport or on any of their systems.

I believe they would want to see your tax for the financial year ending April 2016 paid, plus a letter from HMRC confirming that. If you call HMRC and request Statement of Account, they will send it in the post and the letter should be with you within a week.

HO may also want to see your Trading Profit & Loss Account signed by your accountant's office.

You can also submit bank account / credit card statements that show transactions made in the UK. A letter from your GP showing appointments you've attended might help as well.

They asked me for alternative evidence for the 12-month period post DCPR when I applied for naturalisation and I did send them 12 full credit card statements showing transactions made in the UK, my P&L Account for the previous financial year and proof of tax... and that was it. I received my approval a week later.

In case you can't get the letter from HMRC quickly, write HO a short statement to explain and give them an estimate. I had to do that as they gave me a 10-day window but HMRC couldn't send the document so I sent my caseworker a letter first and then another letter with the additional documents 5 days later, and it was all OK.

gtht

Post by gtht » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks. This is very helpful. May end up having to show my credit card statements. My immigration solicitor is a bit concerned that the statement of account available from the HMRC website doesn't not specifically segregate National Insurance Contributions. It just shows how much I paid into my account through out the year which I would think would be enough along with my self-assessment form.

Is it necessary to get an HMRC letter? is a print-out from the website ok. You would think they could cross-reference each other.

dapto10

Post by dapto10 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:42 am

Statement of account does not show the structure of your tax, that is true, BUT:

There has been a change in the way NI contributions work and both Class 2 and Class 4 contributions of self-employed individuals are now being collected together with income tax, as opposed to the old system where we used to get 2 bills every year PLUS the rest of the contributions once you submit your self-assessment. And the Home Office teams know that. You could also point this out in the statement that supports your additional documents.

So if you have earned enough to hit the threshold and started paying NI, the HO caseworker will know that NI has been collected together with your income tax bill.

You can also submit a printout from your Self-Assessment oniine account. That will show the exact amount of NI contributions paid.

The point of the HRMC letter is simple - it is an official document issued by a Government body whereas the printout is just a printout, if you know what I mean.

If I were you, I would have made my best to play on the safe side. If a governmental organisation wants to see 1 proof, send them 2. A letter on HMRC headed paper, sent by an HMRC caseworker is indisputable evidence. HRMC's letters usually begin with 'Dear Mr/Ms xxx, We received a phone call from you on such and such date and you asked us to send you Statement of Account." HO can't dismiss such evidence.
Technically Nationality Directorate could cross-reference everything, yet they ask for all these things. :-)

Good luck.

gtht

Post by gtht » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks for the help. Today is the due date of the additional evidence. We had no problem getting signed original payslips for my wife for period requested, Feb 2015 through Nov 2016. Upon receiving their request letter I immediately called HMRC requesting a letter for my payments in 2015 and 2016. This weekend I received a letter from HMRC detailing my statement of account but the statement is dated 12 June 2016! While it had payments from Jan 2015 through Jun 2016 it obviously had no information for the remaining June to Nov 2016 period. We sent this in special delivery and asked for an extension.

Has anybody asked for an extension before? Getting anything out of HMRC seems to take at least of week. I assume the Home Office knows this and will allow us extra time.

Thanks.