ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Living in the UK, HOW?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jawad94

Living in the UK, HOW?

Post by Jawad94 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Hello,

I have some questions related to living in the UK, but first, let me tell you about my situation:

I am a British Syrian, 23 years old, who hasn't been to the UK before, I currently live in Aleppo, Syria and am currently planning to move to the UK very soon via my British passport.

As a beginner, to what extent can the government help me to start off regarding providing me with a residence and financially support soon as I find a job in addition to health insurance and such basics.

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Living in the UK, HOW?

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Jawad94 wrote:As a beginner, to what extent can the government help me to start off regarding providing me with a residence and financially support soon as I find a job in addition to health insurance and such basics.
None. You have not or never been residence or paid into the system so you won't qualify for any government benefits, housing etc for at least 3 months. You will need to ensure you have sufficient money to support yourself initially until you get a job.

You should be entitled to free NHS (medical) though, but there might be a habitual residence test too.

Besides finding somewhere for yourself to live (as you will need an address), the first thing you will need to do is apply for a National Insurance Number as you need this to be able to work.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:12 pm

You will be entitled to free NHS treatment, but you won't be provided with free accommodation.

Regarding financial support, you won't be able to claim job-seekers allowance until you have been resident in the UK for a minimum of 3 months. For any means based benefits, including Housing Benefit you will also have to pass the Habitual Residence Test.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... -benefits/

How old are you?

Don't arrive with the impression that as soon as you are in the UK the Government will support you.

Edit: Beaten once again by a speedier CR001
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:35 pm

I see.

I thought there might be some exceptions for those who have just returned from a hot war zone. I guess after 3 months, there would be no need for claiming benefits, I mean an amibitous person should be more independent.

Regarding the National Insuarnce Number, what are the precedures to apply for it?

I am 23 years old.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Jawad94 wrote:I see.

I thought there might be some exceptions for those who have just returned from a hot war zone. No, that would only be applicable to migrants claiming asylum or refugee status fleeing a 'hot war zone'. You don't fall into either category as a British citizen and will be expected to make it on your own.

I guess after 3 months, there would be no need for claiming benefits, I mean an amibitous person should be more independent. Many don't think like this and believe they can just arrive and get a free house and income from the government in terms of all sorts of benefits. This is not the case at all.

Regarding the National Insuarnce Number, what are the precedures to apply for it? See Apply for National Insurance Number (click) but you can only do this once you are here.

I am 23 years old.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.