ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entered UK under code 1A

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ikonkar
India

Entered UK under code 1A

Post by Ikonkar » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:49 am

Hello people,

Thought I'd share my experience with you guys regarding entry into UK without valid residence card.

I travel for business and my residence card expired in the first week of January. So I decided to take my wife (EU national) with me last week for my business meeting. We went to Asia and booked our return tickets to Brussels. We got on the coach from Brussels and headed towards UK. Upon arriving at the border in Calais, French immigration officer looked at our passports and then requested for marriage ceritificate, he looked at both and stamped my passport, now heading towards UK border control few yards from French border control.

Upon arrival at the immigration desk, I politely requested that I'm seeking an entry under code 1A, he then looked at me and said "OK, I'd have to go and check inside, I was carrying my PR COA, my wife DCPR, my wife was travelling with me so her original passport, my expired RC and our wedding certificate. He went inside and came back after 5 minutes and said ok.

No questions asked.

I was quite surprised myself, but anyhow I was happy to as I didn't wanted any more hassle. So it worked for me. I hope it works for everybody, the only downside was that it costed us fortune to fly from UK and terminate our return journey in Brussels and not to forget extra time.

I've requested my documents back since the beginning of December and have involved my MP but UKVI are turning blind eye. Eagerly waiting for my PR card.

I hope the above helps to the people and give them reassurances regarding entry into the UK without valid RC.

Thanks
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

secret.simon

Re: Entered UK under code 1A

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:10 am

Congratulations. We always need some more positive examples on our site.

It also helps that you were prepared with your documentation. In life, as with the Scouts, Be Prepared.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:13 am

It seems that some Immigration Officers are now issuing a more appropriate endorsement instead of the Code 1A.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:02 pm

vinny wrote:It seems that some Immigration Officers are now issuing a more appropriate endorsement instead of the Code 1A.

It says "Admitted to the United Kingdom under the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 for - six months(hand written).

I'm trying to upload the pic from my mobile but it keeps coming up with an error that a ban has been issued on my IP address. Can Gurus please unblock... don't know why it was banned at the first place?
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 pm

https://postimg.org/image/s414g93av/

Here's the link/picture of my passport stamp
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:34 pm

Ikonkar wrote:
vinny wrote:It seems that some Immigration Officers are now issuing a more appropriate endorsement instead of the Code 1A.

It says "Admitted to the United Kingdom under the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 for - six months(hand written).

I'm trying to upload the pic from my mobile but it keeps coming up with an error that a ban has been issued on my IP address. Can Gurus please unblock... don't know why it was banned at the first place?
The issue is with your mobile provider (commonly O2), not with Immigration Boards. Even moderators have experienced the same problem.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Ikonkar wrote:Hello people,

Thought I'd share my experience with you guys regarding entry into UK without valid residence card.

Upon arrival at the immigration desk, I politely requested that I'm seeking an entry under code 1A, he then looked at me and said "OK, I'd have to go and check inside, I was carrying my PR COA, my wife DCPR, my wife was travelling with me so her original passport, my expired RC and our wedding certificate. He went inside and came back after 5 minutes and said ok.

No questions asked.

I hope the above helps to the people and give them reassurances regarding entry into the UK without valid RC.

Thanks
A classic textbook manoeuvre, well executed by both you and the concerned border guard.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:35 am

Morning All,

It's me again, Further to my recent travel, I'm preparing my another trip Belgium for couple of days for business and pleasure, however one thing just strike me, as you guys are aware my PR application is still under process and I just read new EEA regulations are in effect from 1st Feb, do you happen to know if there are any amendments regarding entering UK without FP just like I entered last time?

I couldn't find any perhaps it could be oversight.

Thank you muchly.
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am

Hello peeps,

It's me again, thought I'd share my another experience entering in the UK without valid residence card or visa.

As stated in my previous post, I was worried that if the some of the relgulations have changed since 1st of Feb 2017, but I guess I was wrong.

So we drove to Belgium for my business meeting again took my wife with me, and upon our return at the UK border control, I politely requested that I'm seeking an entry under EEA regulations ( we were carrying same set of documents again as per my initial post), this time the border officer at the drive through check window told us to park the car and go inside where we was met by another officer, he politely requested me to fill the landing card( wasn't asked the last time), and then asked us if we are still happily married? To which we both smiled and said yes (haha), and said you came prepared well with your documents as we are not used to this. We laughed and then I said its very nice to see border officers joking and laughing and normally you don't get this, to which he said I understand and there are still good ones left in the department. He said thank you and hope you enjoy rest of your day. Also no stamp on my passport this time either.

One thing I must say, the new border officers, specifically the younger ones you now see more than often are very helpful and pleasant to deal with. That's just my opinion.

Anyways another encouraging story of my travels.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks very much for this Ikonkar. I'll be sending off for my PR in late May, but I'll still need to travel, so it was very useful to read about your experiences. Especially since the first time I travel without my current RC I'll be re-entering by car via Dover as well.

tawnos
Newly Registered

Post by tawnos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:20 am

Hi,

that looks very re-assuring, as I am in a somewhat similar predicament. One thing I am wondering about though is that you always entered by car, would this be different if you flew to the UK?

Reason I am asking is this: I'm German and married my Mexican wife in August and have been waiting for six months now to have her and my residence card issued (she did finger prints and has CoA). Now with our honeymoon coming up in March, this really is becoming an issue as you might fear for her not to come back in. We already requested her passport back and received it.

So I have been thinking about applying for a family permit for her - however this can only be done from outside the country and we are only staying 3 weeks in Mexico, so this might be a very tight call and I don't want to stress out about this in my honeymoon :)

Would you reckon it is possible to just fly in with all the documents as you have done by car? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Believe Mexicans enjoy visa free access to U.K. So upon arrival just present your RC(if you have one or proof of working/exercising treaty rights in the UK), marriage certificate is a must, if you haven't got it then request it back before you fly and her COA.

Shouldn't be a problem then.

Any questions let me know.

Thanks
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

tawnos
Newly Registered

Post by tawnos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I would have one question: why would her free visa access play a role? Yes, Mexicans get a free tourist visa on arrival, but wouldn't she be lying if that is how she passes the border? After all, she wants to enter as a spouse of an EEA that is exercising treaty rights?

I understand that the preferred way of entering the UK while waiting for a residence card is through a family permit. I also understand that it is (next to) impossible to obtain one during a short leave for a vacation.

So the other option is to enter with me by her side and proof of our marriage, of me exercising treaty rights (I don't have a RC yet as it is a joint application with my wife), proof of addresses/employment and her CoA.

Did I get this right?

Thanks so much!

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:42 pm

The entry given at the Uk border is at discretion by the border officer. I presume you guys are travelling together, so upon arrival request for admission under EEA regulations, carry as many proofs as you can (I know you may have sent proofs with your ongoing application) but just to be on the safer side, I would recommend carry latest bank statement, pay slip, marriage certificate is a must, and her COA.

You shouldn't have problem.
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:50 pm

tawnos wrote:I would have one question: why would her free visa access play a role?
Overwise she wouldn't be allowed to board the flight (Airlines won't let you board if you are a visa national without a visa/residence card/Family permit, etc). Whereas you can board a flight land in the UK and apply for entry at the border under EEA Regulations.

tawnos
Newly Registered

Post by tawnos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Ah that makes perfect sense.
Thank you, both!

Dea_V25
Newly Registered

Post by Dea_V25 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has similar experience of entering with a COA/ without a valid family permit while travelling on their own - i.e. without their EEA spouse?

I'm hoping to travel without my partner and wondering if that could be problematic?

Thanks!

nawab185
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by nawab185 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:45 am

Hello everyone
I need help regarding Code 1a as been reading about getting code 1a at the uk immigration on arrival.
firstly if someone can tell me about code 1a?
in my situation as I'm a non EEA citizen my wife is British we been living in Ireland and I got 5 years RC from there and trying to go back under surinder Singh route so if we show up on the immigration desk can we ask for same thing or for us would be different ?
as my wife using her treaty rights in Ireland and the same be in uk on return .
thanks in advance

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:52 am

Just to update Ikonkar's original post with my own recent experience:
I re-entered the UK by car at Calais on 29 June, by myself and without my EEA RC, which was off with my EEA(PR) application package. As in Ikonkar's situation, it was very straight forward. I went into the passport control/immigration building, filled out a landing card (just in case), and went to an open desk. I stated I was re-entering the UK under EEA law, but I did not have my RC with me. The Border Force officer acted like this was the most normal thing in the world. Barely even asked me a question. Towards the end of the process I mentioned I had a copy of my RC on me (as well as a copy of my wife's DCPR and our marriage certificate) and he said "Great, can I see that? I can copy your RC number off that instead of looking it up." And that was it. No further hassle.

baigbaig
Pakistan

Post by baigbaig » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Ikonkar wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:49 am
Hello people,

I travel for business and my residence card expired in the first week of January. So I decided to take my wife (EU national) with me last week for my business meeting. We went to Asia and booked our return tickets to Brussels. We got on the coach from Brussels and headed towards UK. Upon arriving at the border in Calais, French immigration officer looked at our passports and then requested for marriage ceritificate, he looked at both and stamped my passport, now heading towards UK border control few yards from French border control.

No questions asked.

I was quite surprised myself, but anyhow I was happy to as I didn't wanted any more hassle. So it worked for me. I hope it works for everybody, the only downside was that it costed us fortune to fly from UK and terminate our return journey in Brussels and not to forget extra time.

I've requested my documents back since the beginning of December and have involved my MP but UKVI are turning blind eye. Eagerly waiting for my PR card.

Thanks
you saying you are non-eu national married with eu-national you travel to Uk from Greece withn your wife and get entry into the uk under code 1A....?

vicboy
Newly Registered
Malta

Post by vicboy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:54 pm

I am a non-EU Spouse of a British Citizen married with two kids all British citizens. We moved to Malta in June on the self sufficient route. We also applied for our residence cards on the same day. Their Maltese residence cards arrived like three weeks later. I am still waiting for my residence card to be issued and i have been traveling in and out of Malta using my Schengen Visa. We have a family engagement in England next month. My question is if my residence card doesn't arrive by then, can i apply for a six month visa/dependent ink at the border in France? based on that fact that my wife a British citizen has been exercising her treaty rights in Malta for the past five -six months. Listed below is the documents i plan to present at the border. Let me know your thoughts guys.

1.Wife and Children's Maltese Residence Cards
2. My Maltese residence application receipt
3. Lease agreement that has both our names on it.
4. Marriage Certificate
5. Comprehensive insurance Certificate for the whole family
6. Children’s birth certificates.