ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Irish Passport from Northern Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

harirao
Newly Registered

Child Irish Passport from Northern Ireland

Post by harirao » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi,

My son was born on Jan 2016 in Northern Ireland and at that time I was holding UK's PR so as a result of that I was able to get British Passport for him. I also want to get Irish passport for him since I have been living in Northern Ireland from 2009.

I was reading http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%20C ... 02014).pdf i.e Form C that is used for applying Naturalization. As per 3d in the form my understanding is my son does not need to be Naturalized and can apply for Irish passport straight away. Is my understanding correct? Have any of you were in this situation? Can anyone please advise me on this?

crisbella218
China

Re: Child Irish Passport from Northern Ireland

Post by crisbella218 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:17 pm

harirao wrote:Hi,

My son was born on Jan 2016 in Northern Ireland and at that time I was holding UK's PR so as a result of that I was able to get British Passport for him. I also want to get Irish passport for him since I have been living in Northern Ireland from 2009.

I was reading http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%20C ... 02014).pdf i.e Form C that is used for applying Naturalization. As per 3d in the form my understanding is my son does not need to be Naturalized and can apply for Irish passport straight away. Is my understanding correct? Have any of you were in this situation? Can anyone please advise me on this?
The INIS website states:

Foreign national parents
A child born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 is entitled to Irish citizenship if they have a British parent or a parent who is entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency. A child born in Ireland to a parent who has been granted refugee status is also automatically entitled to Irish citizenship.

As you have PR your son is entitled to apply. Go to a post office that has a passport application form and fill it in and send it off.

joker
Ireland

Post by joker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 pm

One works like the other so what advantage in having both?

crisbella218
China

Post by crisbella218 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:45 am

joker wrote:One works like the other so what advantage in having both?
Probably cause in 2 years time one will allow you the benefits of being an EU Citizen and the other not.

One other benefit over British passport is that Irish citizenship can be passed down the generations provided the second generation register on the Foreign birth register if born aboard. For British citizenship only the next generation born aboard get citizenship by decent after that the children of that person have a problem getting British Citizenship without having to live in the UK. Therefore for Irish citizenship the link to Ireland is always maintained.

harirao
Newly Registered

Post by harirao » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:43 pm

thank you very much. Please can you share me the link where you found the info?