ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for Child born in UK.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

E44302

British Passport for Child born in UK.

Post by E44302 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello Dear forum members and moderators,

I have to apply for ILR in month of May this year. I will go in person and hopefully HO does issue the ILR on same day appointment.

My child was born last year here in the UK. We never had to travel anywhere so he still does not have any form of passport. He does have the Full UK birth certificate.

Will my child be eligible for British passport once I have the ILR later this year? My wife will not be applying with me since she has not completed her 5 years yet. It is just me who is going to apply for ILR. I have checked the forum and the HO websites and as per my understanding from there I think he would be eligible for it. I would like to mention that I have not applied for my childs home country passport because we did not have any requirements to travel till my ILR.
My question is:

Does anyone know the waiting time for the child to get his passport where the child applicant never had another passport issued from any other country, with this being the first. I have checked numerous HO links the MN1 form etc. No where does it mention the timeline. I was told by someone it could take 6months.

Can someone please throw some light on this subject.

Many thanks,
A

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport for Child born in UK.

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:14 pm

You need to register the child as British on form MN1 before you can get a British Passport.

If you apply through NCS at the council, you can apply for citizenship and passport at the same time. Passport will only be issued once child is approved for and receives their certificate.

Applications to register on MN1 can take a couple of months to a few months. See timeline topic below.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... -2560.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

E44302

Post by E44302 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Thank you for your reply CR001.

I understand now that I first need to register the child as British on form MN1. I will probably apply through NCS at the council so that I can apply for citizenship and passport at the same time.

So registering the child as British on form MN1 is actually applying for his citizenship and obviously next step that follows is the passport.

It looks from the forum link for timelines in many cases is around 2 months if applying through NCS.

Additionally I also wanted to know what is the best possible visa for India to apply for if you need it urgent once the child has the British passport? How long does it usually take for the visitor visa? I know the OCI thing takes a while for the entire process.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:18 pm

Please post your India visa questions in the 'Other Countries' sub forum which is towards the bottom of the main forum page.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

E44302

Post by E44302 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:57 pm

Sure, i will do that!

E44302

Post by E44302 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Dear CR001,

I had a quick question for you. Apologies for the informal way of addressing you.

1) My child was born last year
2) I got my ILR this year (Tier 1 General - 5 years to ILR)
3) He never had a passport from any other country as we never traveled anywhere. All he had was his birth certificate as identity. Was he stateless, I quite dont understand that?

Does that mean I can skip the naturalisation process and directly apply for the British Passport as he was 'stateless' ? Sorry for the confusion and asking for the same information again. I just want to make sure I apply for the right thing as you are aware that the process for MN1 is an expensive and time consuming affair altogether so i just was looking to see if i got everything right.

Thanks for all your replies

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 pm

E44302 wrote:Dear CR001,

I had a quick question for you. Apologies for the informal way of addressing you.

1) My child was born last year
2) I got my ILR this year (Tier 1 General - 5 years to ILR)
3) He never had a passport from any other country as we never traveled anywhere. All he had was his birth certificate as identity. Was he stateless, I quite dont understand that? Child is NOT stateless. Child assumes the same nationality as you, whether you have a foreign passport for the child or not.

Does that mean I can skip the naturalisation process and directly apply for the British Passport as he was 'stateless' ? No you can't.
Child is NOT stateless. You MUST register child as BC on form MN1 under section 1(3) first. Only a British citizen can apply for a passport, your child is NOT British.

Sorry for the confusion and asking for the same information again. I just want to make sure I apply for the right thing as you are aware that the process for MN1 is an expensive and time consuming affair altogether so i just was looking to see if i got everything right.

Thanks for all your replies
Char (CR001 not Casa)

E44302

Post by E44302 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 am

Well this may sound silly to a few, you can sometimes blindly trust the advice of most of the moderators on this forum. They are on par with most immigration advisers you would find online and they help you out for free :D :)

Thank you CR001.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat May 27, 2017 4:41 am

CR001 wrote:Child is NOT stateless. Child assumes the same nationality as you, whether you have a foreign passport for the child or not.
If parents are from India (as details on the thread suggest) then as I understand, the child does not acquire Indian citizenship unless and until an application for registration as an Indian citizen by descent is made. This has been the case since 3 December 2004. Also- as far as I understand, there is a time limit of 1 year for this registration to be done.

In this case, child is likely stateless however this does not change the outcome. A U.K. born child who is stateless does not automatically become a British citizen, so the route to British citizenship is the same- section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981. There are some special provisions for U.K. born stateless children to acquire British nationality but in general these would not be used where a section 1(3) application could be made.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.