ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for Child born in UK.

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

E44302

British Passport for Child born in UK.

Post by E44302 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello All,

I have a child who was born in the UK last year. I am going to apply for my ILR in May 2017 this year. I have not applied for the Indian passport. However I will be travelling to India later this year. I heard that it is better to apply for the British passport for the child.

Once I get the ILR (hopefully), I understand that I first need to register the child as British on form MN1. I will probably apply through NCS at the council so that I can apply for citizenship and passport at the same time.

It looks from the MN1 waiting timelines posted by applicants, in many cases is around 2 months if applying through NCS.

I wanted to know what is the best possible visa for India to apply for if you need it urgent once the child has the British passport? How long does it usually take for the visitor visa? I know the OCI thing takes a while for the entire process.

Step 1: Apply for ILR
Step 2: Apply for citizenship and passport at the same time through NCS - can take around 2 months of time
Step 3: How much time does it take to apply for the visitors visa to India? Is is through VFS? Can I get a full 6 month entry for the child as I am hoping to stay for that much time.

Many thanks!

Can anybody shed some light on this?

E44302

Re: British Passport for Child born in UK.

Post by E44302 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Also is it possible to apply for a British Passport for the child from your home country via the British Embassy or something?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:39 pm

amaan_mohammed wrote:Also is it possible to apply for a British Passport for the child from your home country via the British Embassy or something?
Passports from India take 6 to 12 months to process as they are all processed in the UK.

You need to bear in mind that you could wait longer than 2 months for MN1 approval.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:44 pm

As ex-citizens of India, it is possible to apply for an X-visa, which can be valid up to five years (the higher the validity, the higher the fees). See here for more details.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.