ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nickcooluz
Newly Registered

Naturalisation questions

Post by nickcooluz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:32 am

I have been a resident in UK for over 10 years with less than 95 days outside UK in last 5 years. I hold a indefinite stay in UK card since august 19-08-2015. I have a BSc and MSc degrees from one of the well know universities in England and also hold a valid Life in uk pass certificate. I was wondering if anyone can advice if I am capable of applying for citizenship and what documents I will need to send to HO.
Also from looking on the forum I noticed that some people applied for passport a year before they got the naturalization certificate? How does that work? Just a bit confused and will appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation questions

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:36 am

If you were physically present in the UK exactly 5 years ago on the same date you apply and meet all the other requirements, then yes you can apply.

Read form AN and the AN guidance notes.

There is a joint citizenship and passport scheme but you can only apply for it through NCS at the council. NCS charge a small fee for this service.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nickcooluz
Newly Registered

Post by nickcooluz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to apply directly through HO instead of NCS.

Once you do get your naturalisation certificate what form do you fill to apply for the passport and at what stage do I return my current passport to the indian embassy?

Approximately how long does it take to get the british passport after filling the correct forms?

Again appreciate your response.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 am

nickcooluz wrote:Thanks for your reply. I am planning to apply directly through HO instead of NCS. I would strongly recommend you use NCS as you get to keep hold of ALL your original documents. If you apply directly, you have to send all the originals and you only get them back once your application is approved, which can take many months and as some members have, well over a year.

Once you do get your naturalisation certificate what form do you fill to apply for the passport and at what stage do I return my current passport to the indian embassy? You get your certificate at the ceremony. Once you have that, if applying by yourself, you pick up a passport form from the Post Office, complete it and send it off, again with your originals. Please ask your Indian process questions in the 'Other Countries' sub forum further down on the main forum page.

Approximately how long does it take to get the british passport after filling the correct forms? Takes 4-6 weeks and you will have to attend an interivew before they will issue your passport. You don't attend an interview for passports if you apply through NCS using the joint application scheme.

Again appreciate your response.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nickcooluz
Newly Registered

Post by nickcooluz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:56 am

You have convinced me, i have just filled the NCS form and will take that route. Didnt quite understand your last response. I have decided to take the NCS route but I am only applying for myself and not the joint application scheme - do i still have to attend the interview to collect the passport?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:11 pm

nickcooluz wrote:You have convinced me, i have just filled the NCS form and will take that route. Didnt quite understand your last response. I have decided to take the NCS route but I am only applying for myself and not the joint application scheme - do i still have to attend the interview to collect the passport?

Thanks
If you are only applying for Citizenship (form AN) through NCS and not using the join citizenship and passport scheme, you will have to apply for passport after your ceremony if you are approved and this way (non joint scheme) you will be required to attend a passport interview before your passport will be printed.

The joint application scheme does not mean you are applying with others. It means you can apply for citizenship on the AN form AND the passport AT THE SAME TIME, where you will not need to attend a passport interview and you should get the passport in roughly a week after your ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nickcooluz
Newly Registered

Post by nickcooluz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:11 pm

CR001 wrote:
nickcooluz wrote:You have convinced me, i have just filled the NCS form and will take that route. Didnt quite understand your last response. I have decided to take the NCS route but I am only applying for myself and not the joint application scheme - do i still have to attend the interview to collect the passport?

Thanks
If you are only applying for Citizenship (form AN) through NCS and not using the join citizenship and passport scheme, you will have to apply for passport after your ceremony if you are approved and this way (non joint scheme) you will be required to attend a passport interview before your passport will be printed.

The joint application scheme does not mean you are applying with others. It means you can apply for citizenship on the AN form AND the passport AT THE SAME TIME, where you will not need to attend a passport interview and you should get the passport in roughly a week after your ceremony.
Do all council provide Join citizenship and passport scheme or only some does? I am unable to find the correct form to fill for the Join scheme on Birmingham council's website:

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/5003 ... ng_service

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:25 pm

If you are applying on your own, you select 'Single Interview'. Most councils now offer the scheme. Suggest phone them to find out. You can also use any NCS, it does not have to be the one where you live.

You need form AN for the citizenship application and the passport form from the Post Office if you plan on applying for both at the same time through NCS.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nickcooluz
Newly Registered

Post by nickcooluz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:35 pm

CR001 wrote:If you are applying on your own, you select 'Single Interview'. Most councils now offer the scheme. Suggest phone them to find out. You can also use any NCS, it does not have to be the one where you live.

You need form AN for the citizenship application and the passport form from the Post Office if you plan on applying for both at the same time through NCS.
Thank you, i will check with Birmingham and near by councils to find out about the "join scheme".

Last question - In regards to the 2 references on the AN form - Can the first and second referee be husband and wife living at same address?

Again many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:37 pm

No. The referees cannot be related to you or to each other. See page 10 and 11 of the AN Guide.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... y_2017.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nickcooluz
Newly Registered

Post by nickcooluz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:44 pm

CR001 wrote:No. The referees cannot be related to you or to each other. See page 10 and 11 of the AN Guide.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... y_2017.pdf
Thank you for all your help!