ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ireland- Easiest to get citizenship through marriage

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

KatePerry
Newly Registered

Ireland- Easiest to get citizenship through marriage

Post by KatePerry » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:06 pm

I've heard this from quite a few people and wanted to confirm it here. Is it true that Ireland is the easiest EU country to get citizenship through marriage. I heard a woman who got Irish citizenship 1 month after getting married to an Irish man.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:47 pm

I don't know about that woman, but it is definitely not that easy. If you are married to an Irish citizen, you must have been married for at least three years and lived in Ireland for at least 3 years before you can apply for naturalization. You must also be of good standing and have 3 references from Irish citizens that are not family members that can attest to your good character. The application processing time is currently taking 2-3 years. So, all told, it would take 5-6 years to acquire Irish citizenship.

I know it was quite a bit easier years ago, but the laws changed around 2004-2005.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Re: Ireland- Easiest to get citizenship through marriage

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:59 pm

KatePerry wrote:I've heard this from quite a few people and wanted to confirm it here. Is it true that Ireland is the easiest EU country to get citizenship through marriage. I heard a woman who got Irish citizenship 1 month after getting married to an Irish man.
Before the laws were changed you were able to apply for citizenship by declaration and there were no residency requirements as such. Now, you have to wait 3 years and join the queue with all other applicants, so it would take around 6.5-7 years, as apposed to 7.5 - 8 years for people not married to an Irish citizen.

microlab

Post by microlab » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:45 pm

Is it true that Ireland is the easiest EU country to get citizenship through marriage.
Are you getting married?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:17 pm

the government are also hell bent via the immigration bill to smash a supposed industry of marriage of convenience by requesting the non national to seek permission (3 months prior to marriage) from the minister. this is something that will not be defeated in the dail.

whilst it may sound reasonable if the marriage is dodgy (ie someone marries only after 6 months relationship) how can one identify it to be dodgy. i know a few couples who met and married within a year - year and a half and marriage is still going.

either way it reeks of violation of article 8 of the echr and article 41 of bunreacht na heireann. echr may not oblige member states to respect a couple decision to reside in a country (with regard to non eu spouse) its another to infringe on ones right to marry.

microlab

Post by microlab » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:34 pm

@ walrusgumble

I think this original post is a bit of "wind-up"!!! :twisted:
Last edited by microlab on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two Aerials meet on a roof - fall in love - get married.
The ceremony was rubbish but the reception was brilliant.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:18 pm

microlab wrote:@ walrusgumble

I think this original post is a bit of wind-up!!! :twisted:
sorry but are you referring to the person who made the thread or mine comment. just the devil face makes me think you are referring to mine ( i am more than happy to explain my comments further if need be as it was certainly not intended to wind any one up), as i see for some reason think the orignal post is an genuine question.(for which will make me look stupid if it is a wind up - ah well cie la vie)

microlab

Post by microlab » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:21 pm

We had a few "run-ins" in the past.....all forgotten by now :wink:
This time I was referring to original post by KatePerry
Two Aerials meet on a roof - fall in love - get married.
The ceremony was rubbish but the reception was brilliant.

KatePerry
Newly Registered

Post by KatePerry » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:57 pm

i was talking to a guy in a chat room who told me his story. i wanted to confirm its truth. a nigerian guy also told me that ireland was the easiest. i figure since people talk about subjects of immigration and marriage on here, i would bring it up and hear peoples opinions about it. theres nothing more to it. i am not winding anyone up.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 am

KatePerry wrote:i was talking to a guy in a chat room who told me his story. i wanted to confirm its truth. a nigerian guy also told me that ireland was the easiest. i figure since people talk about subjects of immigration and marriage on here, i would bring it up and hear peoples opinions about it. theres nothing more to it. i am not winding anyone up.
I think, KatePerry, you should perhaps think a little before you come on here asking questions relating to marriages of convenience.

There are people on here, couples who have a genuine marriage, and families with children who are suffering greatly because the Irish Department of Justice are breaking the law by denying their rights to live together.

You're asking the wrong question in the wrong place. I think you should go back to the Nigerian guy in the chat room and tell him that marriages of convenience cause a considerable amount problems for those loving couples who are in genuine, sincere marriages of love, who are forced to jump through an unbelievable number of frustrating, time consuming hoops just to get their legal rights recognised.

If the guy you met in the chat room wants citizenship in order to stay in a country, then here's an idea - get a job, get a work permit, become a PR and then apply for citizenship through naturalisation.

Coming on here and asking, "is Ireland the easiest to get citizenship through marriage" is just plain ignorant.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:55 pm

Was this Nigerian man, perchance, residing in South Africa? :lol:

KatePerry
Newly Registered

Post by KatePerry » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:02 pm

benifa wrote:
KatePerry wrote:i was talking to a guy in a chat room who told me his story. i wanted to confirm its truth. a nigerian guy also told me that ireland was the easiest. i figure since people talk about subjects of immigration and marriage on here, i would bring it up and hear peoples opinions about it. theres nothing more to it. i am not winding anyone up.
I think, KatePerry, you should perhaps think a little before you come on here asking questions relating to marriages of convenience.

There are people on here, couples who have a genuine marriage, and families with children who are suffering greatly because the Irish Department of Justice are breaking the law by denying their rights to live together.

You're asking the wrong question in the wrong place. I think you should go back to the Nigerian guy in the chat room and tell him that marriages of convenience cause a considerable amount problems for those loving couples who are in genuine, sincere marriages of love, who are forced to jump through an unbelievable number of frustrating, time consuming hoops just to get their legal rights recognised.

If the guy you met in the chat room wants citizenship in order to stay in a country, then here's an idea - get a job, get a work permit, become a PR and then apply for citizenship through naturalisation.

Coming on here and asking, "is Ireland the easiest to get citizenship through marriage" is just plain ignorant.
you obviously have no useful information, so stop taking up space. what a waste of human flesh.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:19 pm

'KatePerry', play nice or you will be banned.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 pm

I'd like to echo Benifa's comments. Kates question was open ended, and seemed to be more slanted toward gaining Irish citizenship by duplicitious means, rather than the way such citizenship was intended.

As per the majority of others on this particular board, I have been through such crap with the Immigration system (while in a legitimate marriage with a non-EU citizen) because of the percieved risk of "marriages of convenience", so when someone comes on the boards to ask a question that seems to be alluding to them doing the same, it does grate indeed.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:02 am

KatePerry wrote:
benifa wrote:

you obviously have no useful information, so stop taking up space. what a waste of human flesh.
Err - pot, kettle, black?
scrudu wrote:I'd like to echo Benifa's comments. Kates question was open ended, and seemed to be more slanted toward gaining Irish citizenship by duplicitious means, rather than the way such citizenship was intended.

As per the majority of others on this particular board, I have been through such crap with the Immigration system (while in a legitimate marriage with a non-EU citizen) because of the percieved risk of "marriages of convenience", so when someone comes on the boards to ask a question that seems to be alluding to them doing the same, it does grate indeed.
You're right. If only these people knew how difficult it is for some of us in genuine marriages, they might think twice before engaging in marriages of convenience (no pun intended). Then again maybe they wouldn't.

Perhaps a mod can lock this thread, since it's going off-topic and, in any case, is discussing an inappropriate subject.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:34 pm

archigabe wrote:'KatePerry', play nice or you will be banned.
Seconded.

the Admin
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice

tyz
Newly Registered

Post by tyz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:07 pm

good day sakura
just a question but why the corelation between nigerians and south africa?