ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Failure to disclose nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

embaras
Newly Registered

Failure to disclose nationality

Post by embaras » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:32 am

I have an embarrassing situation and hope someone can advise me on what I can do to rectify it.

I came to the UK 10.5 years ago as a student on my Russian passport. I also held Moldovan passport, but at the time of application for visa and subsequent extensions I never mentioned this. I never intended to stay initially, and then was worried about disclosing of fear that my visa extension will be refused.

About 5 years ago I qualified to get Romanian passport (long story short, it became possible due to my ancestry and some legislation changes in Romania). I notified UKBA about this and got my Blue Card. Recently I applied and received my PR. Again, in these applications I never mentioned my Moldovan nationality.

Now I am considering applying for Naturalisation. I have married in the Embassy of Moldova in London and my husband has been naturalised a year ago. So I qualify to apply for Naturalisation straight away.
My question is: should I disclose my Moldovan nationality? I am worried UKBA will see my Moldovan Marriage Certificate and ask if I am a Moldovan national. I would also need to disclose my parents’ nationalities, which include Moldovan. Thank you for your help

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Failure to disclose nationality

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:01 am

Section 7 Declaration on Form AN:
I (full name in block letters) declare that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, the information given in this application is correct.....

All material facts must be declared - I don't think that's a choice.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

blessedtoday

Post by blessedtoday » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:14 am

embaras wrote:I have an embarrassing situation and hope someone can advise me on what I can do to rectify it.

I came to the UK 10.5 years ago as a student on my Russian passport. I also held Moldovan passport, but at the time of application for visa and subsequent extensions I never mentioned this. I never intended to stay initially, and then was worried about disclosing of fear that my visa extension will be refused.

About 5 years ago I qualified to get Romanian passport (long story short, it became possible due to my ancestry and some legislation changes in Romania). I notified UKBA about this and got my Blue Card. Recently I applied and received my PR. Again, in these applications I never mentioned my Moldovan nationality.

Now I am considering applying for Naturalisation. I have married in the Embassy of Moldova in London and my husband has been naturalised a year ago. So I qualify to apply for Naturalisation straight away.
My question is: should I disclose my Moldovan nationality? I am worried UKBA will see my Moldovan Marriage Certificate and ask if I am a Moldovan national. I would also need to disclose my parents’ nationalities, which include Moldovan. Thank you for your help
The AN form used to apply for BC does ask you for your parents nationality details and you need to answer the form truthfully. Good character is a requirement to obtain BC so i do advise you to answer truthfully on all questions

embaras
Newly Registered

Post by embaras » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Thank you so much, will do.

embaras
Newly Registered

Post by embaras » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:51 am

I wanted to clarify the following please:

the AN form states: SECTION 6 Evidence of marriage for applications made on the basis of marriage or civil
partnership to a British citizen.

Does this mean that I can choose to apply on the basis of residence in the UK?

I find it a bit discriminatory that I if I am wife of British Citizen I have to apply based on my marriage, whereas I qualify as an individual perfectly well (I would need just need to wait for 12 months before applying).

So my question is: if I wait for 12 months since issue of my PR, can or can I ask for my application be assessed on the basis of residence in the UK? Or even if I wait I would still be assessed on the basis of my marriage (I will disclose my marriage of course in either case). Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 am

I believe you can apply either way - as spouse now or on residency after the 12 months wait period.
As such there is no spouse application, all are assessed individually.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

embaras
Newly Registered

Post by embaras » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:24 pm

So if I apply based on residency, there is no need to send them the Marriage Certificate?

blessedtoday

Post by blessedtoday » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:17 am

embaras wrote:So if I apply based on residency, there is no need to send them the Marriage Certificate?
It really would'nt hurt to put a copy of your marriage cert in the application considering you have to declare if you married or not anyway in the application form.