ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

noajthan

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:55 am

safatafa wrote:hi gurus
if my wife was a partner in a limited company in 2012 for 3 months and the partnership broke off do i need to declare that in employment history.
she is no more employed and doesn't have any dues with hmrc as this is self employment and she was well within her limits of taxable income?
Caseworker reserves right to crosscheck and verify.
Imagine the alarm bells if it pops up on caseworker's radar but is not listed in the application form.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

faisal7412
Newly Registered

Post by faisal7412 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:19 am

hi all,
I am an EEA family member (non EU), I have got my residence card issued in Jan 2011 and PR card in Aug 2016.
my question is if I can apply for naturalisation as I have completed 6 years from the date of my RC issued, or do I have to wait for 12 months from the date of my PR card??

Many thanks

Inci
Newly Registered

Post by Inci » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi,

I first looked into applying for naturalisation back in 2006. Then I passed the 'Life in the UK' Test. I still have the certificate.

Is this something that expires? I heard conflicting answers regarding it.

Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Inci wrote:Hi,

I first looked into applying for naturalisation back in 2006. Then I passed the 'Life in the UK' Test. I still have the certificate.

Thank you.
LITUK certificate is valid for life.
Please do advise where it's stated that it is not.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Inci
Newly Registered

Post by Inci » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:43 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Inci wrote:Hi,

Thank you.
LITUK certificate is valid for life.
Please do advise where it's stated that it is not.
Hi,

On one of the many messaging boards where people keep discussing these things. I can't find the original post. What seems to come up sometimes is that the test was changed a few years ago and older versions weren't valid anymore.

Glad it's not the case, one fewer issues to worry about.

Thank you.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:42 pm

I have lived with my girlfriend for just over a year. I am claiming citizenship in my own right and not via her.

1.15 Marital Status - do I select single or unmarried partner?

If I select unmarried partner, do I fill in her details in 1.32 'Please provide here the details of your husband, wife or civil partner.'?

I assume not due to this wording as we are not married nor in a civil partnership, but it may conflict with the answer to 1.15

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:51 pm

wf wrote:I have lived with my girlfriend for just over a year. I am claiming citizenship in my own right and not via her.

1.15 Marital Status - do I select single or unmarried partner?

If I select unmarried partner, do I fill in her details in 1.32 'Please provide here the details of your husband, wife or civil partner.'?

I assume not due to this wording as we are not married nor in a civil partnership, but it may conflict with the answer to 1.15

Thanks
Unmarried partner and no, you only list the details if you are married or in a civil partnership.

You cannot apply for citizenship based on an unmarried partner anyway, what you are referring to is for a spouse of a British citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

NatalieG
Newly Registered

Biometrics details

Post by NatalieG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:27 am

I obtained ILR in 2011 (no biometric card, there is a page in my passport with my ILR)

Prior to this I had a spouse visa for 2 years which was in the form of a biometric card

This card was returned to the Home Office upon issue of my ILR

I am now applying for british citizenship. In the section where is says 'have you been issued a BRP for a previous application of leave' I'm assuming the answer is yes

If so I am required to provide the number of this card, issue date and expiry date - unfortunately I am unable to do so as I do not have it

Please advise

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 am

@natalieG
as you haven't got a BRP for your ILR I think the answer is "No". Everyone applying for AN is required to do the biometrics anyway. Couldn't harm if you just explain the fact on page 22.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

NatalieG
Newly Registered

Post by NatalieG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Thank you! Hope it all goes well

TimeInvariant
Newly Registered

Post by TimeInvariant » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi Folks

Hopefully in the right thread for this,

I applied for Permanent Residency last year - and got it (thanks for all your help on here!). I'm now applying for naturalisation. I have figured out most of the Form AN but have a few questions:

- You need to wait a year (or at least the application form suggests this) from getting PR to applying for naturalisation. However mine was a 'Document Certifying Permanent Residency' - I actually would have been valid for PR about 6 years ago as I have been living/working here for some time. Do I need to wait the year? Am also married to a British citizen

- I have a CU80 from 4.5 years ago - it was an FPN - not contested in court or anything. I accepted it at roadside, and paid the fine the next day - took the 3 points. From what the guide for the Form AN says, I must declare the FPN - but I'm not clear on which section it is declared in. Criminal conviction in Section 3.2? Caution/reprimand/warning in Section 3.6? I totally 100% want to be as transparent as possible - but can't tell if I'm filling this in wrong. In any case, I will bring the FPN information to the NCS meeting.

- Is there a downside to applying for naturalisation? e.g. god forbid, if they rejected my application based on the CU80 - would that have any effect on my permanent residency status? Is it simply - it would be rejected and I'd have to wait and apply again some other time?

- Presumably speed awareness course don't have to be mentioned in the application? I had one 9 years ago

Any and all help is much appreciated - I can provide more info to clarify if needed. Many thanks folks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:33 am

TimeInvariant wrote:some input from myself - others may also comment

I applied for Permanent Residency last year - and got it (thanks for all your help on here!). I'm now applying for naturalisation. I have figured out most of the Form AN but have a few questions:

- You need to wait a year (or at least the application form suggests this) from getting PR to applying for naturalisation. However mine was a 'Document Certifying Permanent Residency' - I actually would have been valid for PR about 6 years ago as I have been living/working here for some time. Do I need to wait the year? Am also married to a British citizen
Does your document show the date when you acquired PR? That's the important date, not the date of issue. If it's not clear I wouldn't rely on the date you think it is (applications have been refused because of wron PR date!). Consider doing an SAR.

- I have a CU80 from 4.5 years ago - it was an FPN - not contested in court or anything. I accepted it at roadside, and paid the fine the next day - took the 3 points. From what the guide for the Form AN says, I must declare the FPN - but I'm not clear on which section it is declared in. Criminal conviction in Section 3.2? Caution/reprimand/warning in Section 3.6? I totally 100% want to be as transparent as possible - but can't tell if I'm filling this in wrong. In any case, I will bring the FPN information to the NCS meeting.
It's not a criminal conviction, but declare and explain furtehr in the "Other Information" section.

- Is there a downside to applying for naturalisation? e.g. god forbid, if they rejected my application based on the CU80 - would that have any effect on my permanent residency status? Is it simply - it would be rejected and I'd have to wait and apply again some other time?
If application is rejected it will not invalidate PR status. In some cases they do give a time when you could apply again - best to avoid this situation!

- Presumably speed awareness course don't have to be mentioned in the application? I had one 9 years ago AFAIK no need to declare.

Any and all help is much appreciated - I can provide more info to clarify if needed. Many thanks folks

robtek
Newly Registered

Post by robtek » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi everyone,
I have two questions:

1. I had FPN (CU80) over 6 years ago which has been accepted and paid straight away. My license / counter-part is clean now, and according to Subject Access Request report my PNC is clear. Do I need to declared if that FPN is spent and not visible in Police database?

2. The guidelines states
Fixed penalty notices (such as speeding or parking tickets) must be disclosed, although will not normally be taken into account unless:
• you have failed to pay and there were criminal proceedings as a result; or
• you have received numerous fixed penalty notices.

Do I need to declare Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) issued by Council? The guidelines mentioned only about FPN and nothing about PCN.

Many thanks

TimeInvariant
Newly Registered

Post by TimeInvariant » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:51 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
TimeInvariant wrote:some input from myself - others may also comment

Does your document show the date when you acquired PR? That's the important date, not the date of issue. If it's not clear I wouldn't rely on the date you think it is (applications have been refused because of wron PR date!). Consider doing an SAR.

Thank you - much appreciated - regarding this one, it specifies the date of the release of the 'document certifying permanent residency'. Darnit - I should have checked this closer before now :(
I am married to a British citizen - some sources seem to suggest this exempts you from waiting that year after PR?

I have an NCS appointment - would they likely tell me at this appointment if I got this wrong, in advance of formally sending off the application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:56 pm

TimeInvariant wrote:Thank you - much appreciated - regarding this one, it specifies the date of the release of the 'document certifying permanent residency'. Darnit - I should have checked this closer before now :(
I am married to a British citizen - some sources seem to suggest this exempts you from waiting that year after PR? You are exempt then from the 12 months from date of PR requirement. You can apply as soon as you get/got your PR card.

I have an NCS appointment - would they likely tell me at this appointment if I got this wrong, in advance of formally sending off the application?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

TimeInvariant
Newly Registered

Post by TimeInvariant » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:40 am

CR001 wrote:
TimeInvariant wrote:Thank you - much appreciated - regarding this one, it specifies the date of the release of the 'document certifying permanent residency'. Darnit - I should have checked this closer before now :(
I am married to a British citizen - some sources seem to suggest this exempts you from waiting that year after PR? You are exempt then from the 12 months from date of PR requirement. You can apply as soon as you get/got your PR card.

Thank you - you guys have been invaluable!

cb0404
Newly Registered

Post by cb0404 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:51 am

Hi,

I'm confused regarding some of the questions in the AN form and don't want to loose the hefty fee for misunderstanding something. So sorry if some seem to be pretty straight forward. I am applying as an EEA member. Got my residence card this January with the letter saying that I acquired permanent residence in UK on 06th of April 2016. I applied with the date of 1st of August 2011, so no idea how they calculated 06th of April and that date doesn't mean anything to me besides the start of the fiscal year. Hopefully I will have no issues. I came here in 2009 as a student for 1 year then left in 2010 and came back in august 2011. Now with this letter and the permanent residence card I'm planning to apply for citizenship.

To all the questions that is saying last 5 years I suppose is the actual last 5 years and not the 5 years used for the permanent residence card (confused as it says 5 years but 5 years + 1 are needed)?

1.3 Date you were given indefinite leave to enter/remain in the
UK (not necessary if you are a Commonwealth citizen with right
of abode in the United Kingdom). If you are an EEA national, a
Swiss national or a family member of an EEA or Swiss national
you should read pages 10 to 11 of the Booklet AN.

Read the Booklet but still didn't understand. As an EEA member do I have to fill in this date. And if yes the date is the one given on the letter and not the date the card was issued right?

1.17 At previous addresses I suppose the first one is the current one even if it was introduced in question 1.16 with to date left blank?

1.49 Address of tax office or tax office reference
Is that they PAYE Reference on the P60?

2.4 Are you an EEA or Swiss national or the family member of an EEA or Swiss national? and a textbox. What should be put there: YES or EEA National? Also the date of issue of the Permanent Residence is the actual date January 2017 and not the date from the letter that I acquired permanent residence April 2016 which I put on 1.3 question ?

SECTION 3 Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married or in
civil partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application: required for
applications made on the basis of residence in the United Kingdom: required for all applicants
• Your passports Or
• Letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments
indicating presence in UK

I don't have no letters and no stamps in my passport as I am EEA . So is it enough or not if I send them the permanent residence card issued by the Home Office? For PR application I've sent bank statements and utility bills but I understood from this forum that this are not accepted for AN form.

Thank you,
Ciprian

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:02 am

The residence requirements (allowable number of days outside the UK) are different between EEA PR and naturalisation. The Document Certifying Permanent Residence on its own may be insufficient to demonstrate that you satisfy the residence requirements of naturalisation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Anamaria24
Newly Registered

Post by Anamaria24 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:37 am

Hello Guys ,

I am in the process of completing my AN form for British citizenship but I am a bit confused , some help will be much appreciated
1. Is asking to give any reference numbers used in my immigration applications??? What is this? How should I find out?
2.date I was given indefinite leave to remain?
I supposed is the date from the letter as stated in the letter
3.if I want to have dual citizenship do I have to mention anywhere or just complete and send the form AN as normal?
4. At employee page is asking for the address of tax office or tax office reference number. Where would I find this?

Thank you
Anamaria

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 am

Anamaria24 wrote:Hello Guys ,

I am in the process of completing my AN form for British citizenship but I am a bit confused , some help will be much appreciated
1. Is asking to give any reference numbers used in my immigration applications??? What is this? How should I find out? Leave blank
2.date I was given indefinite leave to remain? Leave blank
I supposed is the date from the letter as stated in the letter Do you have a Document Certifying Permanent??
3.if I want to have dual citizenship do I have to mention anywhere or just complete and send the form AN as normal? No you don't have to mention anything.. Whether you can have dual citizenship depends on your country of birth and whether that country allows dual nationality.
4. At employee page is asking for the address of tax office or tax office reference number. Where would I find this? On your P60 or ask your HR department.

Thank you
Anamaria
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Anamaria24
Newly Registered

Post by Anamaria24 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 am

1. Is asking to give any reference numbers used in my immigration applications??? What is this? How should I find out? Leave blank
2.date I was given indefinite leave to remain? Leave blank
I supposed is the date from the letter as stated in the letter Do you have a Document Certifying Permanent??
3.if I want to have dual citizenship do I have to mention anywhere or just complete and send the form AN as normal? No you don't have to mention anything.. Whether you can have dual citizenship depends on your country of birth and whether that country allows dual nationality.
4. At employee page is asking for the address of tax office or tax office reference number. Where would I find this? On your P60 or ask your HR department.

Thank you
Anamaria[/quote][/quote]

Hello and thank you for your reply

Yes I do have a document certifying PR, on the letter that I received from HO with my PR it says that I can apply for citizenship a year after the date of 6.04.2016

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 am

Anamaria24 wrote:Hello and thank you for your reply
Yes I do have a document certifying PR, on the letter that I received from HO with my PR it says that I can apply for citizenship a year after the date of 6.04.2016
All good to go then from 6th April. You only need to complete the section for EU citizens re PR date etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Anamaria24
Newly Registered

Post by Anamaria24 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am

CR001 wrote:
All good to go then from 6th April. You only need to complete the section for EU citizens re PR date etc.

Thank you

cb0404
Newly Registered

Post by cb0404 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:33 am

vinny wrote:The residence requirements (allowable number of days outside the UK) are different between EEA PR and naturalisation. The Document Certifying Permanent Residence on its own may be insufficient to demonstrate that you satisfy the residence requirements of naturalisation.
Thanks for your answer

What documents should I send them as I don't have no letters. Are P60/payslips helpful? I can also ask from work for a letter confirming that I worked for them in the last 5 years but is one letter enough? Especially that I had 5 addresses in the last 5 years (staying with rent). Regarding my other questions are my suppositions correct?

cb0404
Newly Registered

Post by cb0404 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 am

Anamaria24 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Thank you
Anamaria24 I have the same date on my letter: 06.04.2016. But that date doesn't mean anything to me as I applied with a date from August. When you applied for PR did you applied with date from April or another date?

Practically I should have received the letter with 01.08.2016 instead if 06.04.2016 and I'm afraid to not have any issues when I apply for citizenship. Curious if you have the exact date as me but if you applied for it with an April or another date like me.

Thanks