ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Jobcentre appointment and paperwork

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

phil399
Newly Registered

Jobcentre appointment and paperwork

Post by phil399 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi,

I'm going to move to England in a few months. I'm trying to see how long it takes to do all the paperwork and get things settled (getting a proof of address, opening a bank account, getting a NI number, and so on).

Can you help me?

- When you move in and pay the council tax online, how long does it typically take to receive the council tax bill by post?

- When you pay the TV licence online, how long does it take to receive the TV licence bill by post?

- When you call the Jobcentre to make an appointment to get a NI number, how long does it take to get an appointment?

- Can you choose the date/time of the appointment at the Jobcentre (if you are already working or taking English lessons) or do they choose the date for you?

- Does the Jobcentre ask for a proof of address? Are they very strict (for example: council tax required) or quite relaxed (for example: tenancy agreement for a flatshare accepted)?

- If you are not yet working, does the Jobcentre ask for your resume, the proof you are looking for some work, and so on?

- After the Jobcentre appointment, how long does it typically take to receive the letter with your NI number?

Thanks for your help :-) If you could tell me roughly how long it took for you, that would help me a lot :-)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Jobcentre appointment and paperwork

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 pm

phil399 wrote:Hi,

I'm going to move to England in a few months. I'm trying to see how long it takes to do all the paperwork and get things settled (getting a proof of address, opening a bank account, getting a NI number, and so on).

Can you help me?

- When you move in and pay the council tax online, how long does it typically take to receive the council tax bill by post? You notify the council with the necessary form that you are the new tenant. Only then do you get a council tax bill for the year. This is assuming you are renting a property on your own, which to be honest is very difficult if you have just arrived in the UK as you have no credit history or record here and you need a lot of money. Depending on where you are planning to stay and what type of accommodation you choose (sole occupier/share house etc) will depend on whether you pay council tax or not.

- When you pay the TV licence online, how long does it take to receive the TV licence bill by post? A few days.

- When you call the Jobcentre to make an appointment to get a NI number, how long does it take to get an appointment? Not long but also depends where you intend to be in the UK.

- Can you choose the date/time of the appointment at the Jobcentre (if you are already working or taking English lessons) or do they choose the date for you? You should be able to choose but they are not freely available. Job Centre has many functions and slots are limited.

- Does the Jobcentre ask for a proof of address? Are they very strict (for example: council tax required) or quite relaxed (for example: tenancy agreement for a flatshare accepted)? Yes they do. Where else or how else do you prove where you live for them to send your NI card.

- If you are not yet working, does the Jobcentre ask for your resume, the proof you are looking for some work, and so on? Possibly

- After the Jobcentre appointment, how long does it typically take to receive the letter with your NI number? Not long, less than an hour. Your wait to be seen at the centre might be longer than the appointment.

Thanks for your help :-) If you could tell me roughly how long it took for you, that would help me a lot :-)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

phil399
Newly Registered

Re: Jobcentre appointment and paperwork

Post by phil399 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Thank you very much, that's very helpful :D