ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

British Citizen moving to an EU country over the next 2 year

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!
Noz03

British Citizen moving to an EU country over the next 2 year

Post by Noz03 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:25 pm

I know nothing is certain, but how likely is it that there will be any changes on the freedom of movement within the next 2 years (before brexit is complete)?

Specifically I am thinking to move to an EU country sometime soon (with a non-eu spouse) and wondering if I should hurry up or how the Brexit might effect me?

CR001

Re: British Citizen moving to an EU country over the next 2

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:08 pm

We are still in the EU and the same EU rules apply until we leave in 2019.

Probably little chance of gaining PR for your spouse though or much success trying to use the Surinder Singh route back to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Noz03

Post by Noz03 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:50 pm

Just to be clear I'm not planning to move to the UK but to an EU country (as a Brit with non-eu spouse).

But from what I understand you are saying that there is no way for the EU or UK to suspend new immigrants (and family members) before 2019?

CR001

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Correct yes. The right to move to another EU state still stands as before.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

UKBALoveStory

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 pm

CR001 wrote: ....much success trying to use the Surinder Singh route back to the UK.
I wonder why would you say that?
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

Pudding1
Newly Registered

Post by Pudding1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:56 am

The UK will be in the EU until March 2019 and will be subject to freedom of movement rules until then, this goes both ways, British citizens will be able to work and live in the eu until then as well. Theresa May has already made noises about the UK likely having a transitional deal in place for a further time period after March 2019 and that freedom of movement will likely continue during that time. We are in a similar situation, British citizen and non-eu spouse considering moving to the eu. We would ideally like to go over towards end of 2019, however, we are thinking of speeding up our plans in case freedom of movement is not included in a transitional arrangement.