ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applied for ILR, asked to come for interview in Sheffield

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

marusya
Newly Registered

applied for ILR, asked to come for interview in Sheffield

Post by marusya » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:27 pm

I have applied for Indefinete Leave to Remain after completion of 2 years living in the UK. I've recieved a letter asking me and my husband to attend the interview in Sheffield office.

Does anyone know why? and what they are going to ask?

In the letter, they also mention to bring our latest council tax bill. but I doubt that this is the reason for the interview, and Sheffield is 4 hours driver from where we are!!!

Has anyone had the same expereince?

douces

Post by douces » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:14 am

did you send all the 20 document and are they any thing that you might think why they want to interview you because interview is very rare

marusya
Newly Registered

Post by marusya » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:07 pm

We've sent everything we had except maybe the council tax bill, we shred our documents and obviously don't have some, but from what we sent there was a lot for the last 2 years. We have a big age difference between me and my husband, but it's a private issued and shouldn't concern other people. Now we've got to drive to Sheffield which is 4 hours drive from where we are and I don't really know why! You said the interview is really rare, but if there is one, do you know why?

douces

Post by douces » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:39 pm

what age is you and ur husband if you dont mind because i know someone with the same issue as you and did you have any problem getting the two years visa

marusya
Newly Registered

Post by marusya » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

no, i didn't have any problems before and the age shouldn't be the issued anyway, it's every person's private choice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:04 pm

Excluding names and personal information, what did their letter say, exactly?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

marusya
Newly Registered

Post by marusya » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:05 pm

The letter says:

In order to consider the matter further you and your spouse are requested to attend an interview on......
....You must also let us know immediately if an interpreter is required.... (PS What the point of taking Life in the Uk test then?)...
...You should arrive no later and no earlier than 30 minutes prior to your interview...
Please bring any documents you consider relevant. You should bring your most recent Council Tax bill, if this has not previously been submitted......
....You will be provided with a copy of the interview record at the end of the interview....

And so on, nothing specific, but it makes you wonder what it's all about

douces

Post by douces » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:25 pm

my friend was interview they ask question about her relationship
how many document you send was most of the document coming from the british partner but i am telling you this theere is some problem why they choose you to interview

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:38 pm

It sounds like they are interested in seeing that you live together at the same address and have a substantial relationship.

I would suggest you also take any voting registration confirmations you have, as well as any post you receive in both names (like utility bills or magazine subscriptions).

Photos extracted from the history of your life together might also be worth taking.

marusya
Newly Registered

Post by marusya » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:59 pm

We have sent about a kilo of different document except the council tax. My husband pays for it direct debit and as was living on his own for ages it just slipped out and we've only realised that we didn't put my name on it until recieved HO letter. But we've now paid back for those years, I was living with him as well. We have postcards, birthday cards, photos - everything possible. But i're read in this forum, that somebody was interviewed separately in different rooms and then they compared answers: that is really scary! I don't know what to think and I have no confidence at all!

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:38 pm

So you are saying that your husband has been claiming a single person discount on your council tax bill and you’ve only rectified it after you received the letter from the HO.

I suspect the HO have realised this (maybe they spoke to your local council, or worked it out from the amount of the direct debits on bank statements you sent them) and no wonder they are suspicious of you. As either you are lying to them about living together or you have been committing fraud for the last couple of years.

At least they have given you a chance to sort it out so hopefully they won’t give you a hard time at the interview now.

alan and oscar

Post by alan and oscar » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:34 pm

I think it is a very hard to classify this as a 'fraud', djb. It is an easy 'mistake' to make when you have been living in your own, paying council tax by direct debit. Only rarely do the council tax people inquire if you are still entitled to the single person discount.

Fortunately, I heard about this from a post on a board such as this and sorted mine out well before we went for my partner's ILR.

However, my view is that it is SCANDALOUS that people have to hear about this things 'on the grapevine'. Why does the SET M form/notes not say 'you must provide evidence of council tax payments and if your partner has been claiming single person discounts, they must be paid back'. It is almost as if they are looking for an excuse to trap people who don't have legal advice or who don't follow immigration forums. If something is going to be important why do they not say so!!!!

I doubt you will have a problem Marusya, if that's all it is. A shame you have been put through all this, though. Good luck.

marusya
Newly Registered

Post by marusya » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks for wishing us good luck.
I am more concerned about the interview process itself rather than Council Tax which we've sorted out now and can explain what happenned. Not a lot of people went to the interview and I can hardly find any info about it at all, that's what worries me.

douces

Post by douces » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:00 pm

any news yet

meerkat70
Newly Registered

Post by meerkat70 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:59 pm

marusya wrote:We've sent everything we had except maybe the council tax bill, we shred our documents and obviously don't have some, but from what we sent there was a lot for the last 2 years. We have a big age difference between me and my husband, but it's a private issued and shouldn't concern other people. Now we've got to drive to Sheffield which is 4 hours drive from where we are and I don't really know why! You said the interview is really rare, but if there is one, do you know why?
Well, we were called for interview (many years ago now) and we had a big age difference. (20 years). While it may not be their business, it did seem to make them suspicious.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:21 pm

marusya wrote:We've sent everything we had except maybe the council tax bill, we shred our documents and obviously don't have some, but from what we sent there was a lot for the last 2 years. We have a big age difference between me and my husband, but it's a private issued and shouldn't concern other people. Now we've got to drive to Sheffield which is 4 hours drive from where we are and I don't really know why! You said the interview is really rare, but if there is one, do you know why?
Well you brought it up and obviously think it could be an issue for them so what do you want us to do. Plug our ears. You want help or not?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:45 pm

SYH, you are getting a bit harsh.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!