ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Fees 2017-2018

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by paradoxical » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:10 pm

UKBA, UKVI, poteito, potato
whatever
same evil!
Poteito potato...same thoughts..
there has been restructuring and renaming exercises but essentially it is the same evil body in the end :)
And your calculations were quite close..

WRS

Post by WRS » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Handy Table below.

On a side note Nationality Fee has been reduced from £1236 to £1202, but £80 ceremony fee has now been included in the application fee making it £1282.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... pr2017.pdf

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:40 pm

WRS wrote:Handy Table below.

On a side note Nationality Fee has been reduced from £1236 to £1202, but £80 ceremony fee has now been included in the application fee making it £1282.

Ceremony fee has always been a separate listed amount. So still an increase and not a decrease. £1236 includes the ceremony fee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:44 pm

paradoxical wrote:Poteito potato...same thoughts..
I know it sounds like the mods are making a fuss about nothing, but it helps if people are precise when posting on public forums.

For instance, on these forums, people occasionally call ILR "PR", not realising that both of them are under different rules and have slightly different effects. Similarly, "applying for a British passport" is not the same as applying for naturalisation.

Calling concepts and bodies by their correct name aids in allowing others to provide the correct advice.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 pm

secret.simon wrote:
paradoxical wrote:Poteito potato...same thoughts..
I know it sounds like the mods are making a fuss about nothing, but it helps if people are precise when posting on public forums.

For instance, on these forums, people occasionally call ILR "PR", not realising that both of them are under different rules and have slightly different effects. Similarly, "applying for a British passport" is not the same as applying for naturalisation.

Calling concepts and bodies by their correct name aids in allowing others to provide the correct advice.
I generally advice members not to follow advice on the internet posted under UKBA, as this is likely to be well out-of-date. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Casa wrote:I generally advice members not to follow advice on the internet posted under UKBA, as this is likely to be well out-of-date.
Well-reasoned.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Mrchaany

Post by Mrchaany » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:06 pm

Indefinite leave to remain £1,875 £2,297 £422

here we come, uk now want to use immigration is tool to generate funds for their respected department.

i am not opposed that uKVI will increase fee but £422 is killing.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Business2business wrote:i am not opposed that uKVI will increase fee but £422 is killing.
We *know* that the ILR fees will be going up to £3240 by April 2019. We *know* the direction of travel. We can guess the rate of increase per year.
chenzz wrote: I think it will be £2250.00 this year, based on the calculation as

2016-17 1875
2017-18 1875*1.2=2250
2018-19 2250*1.2=2700
2019-20 2700*1.2=3240
I think it would be best for us to be realistic and plan accordingly.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:18 pm

secret.simon wrote:Calling concepts and bodies by their correct name aids in allowing others to provide the correct advice.
Casa wrote:I generally advice members not to follow advice on the internet posted under UKBA, as this is likely to be well out-of-date
Thanks for pointing this out, very valid point
secret.simon wrote:Another way of looking at it is that ILR fees have more than doubled in three years, from £1093 on 6th April 2014 to £2297 on 6th April 2017, an increase of about 110%.
Business2business wrote:here we come, uk now want to use immigration is tool to generate funds for their respected department.
i am not opposed that uKVI will increase fee but £422 is killing.
The fee increase is brutal! In this world, many people/systems/organisations would act in a manner which can best be described as exploitation. A simple model to explain that would be: You have a subject who is desperate for a service/product and doesn't have alternative viable options, an actor who can provide the required service/product and also understands the desperation of the subject. The actor therefore has the luxury to either exploit this situation and charge exorbitant fees or not exploit and stay within reason (where within reason would be in line to making reasonable profits,not 5 or 6 times the cost! ). This model can explain lots of behaviours around the world and I will leave that to the reader's imagination to fit this model to various situations.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:32 pm

So the cost of a ILR application is increasing exponentially but we still have to wait 6 months or more to hear back for a decision, particularly for a route like Tier 1E that has no premium option :x
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Ali272
Member of Standing

Post by Ali272 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:04 pm

ILR grants are down more than 50% since 2012. So they need to double the fees, just to make the same amount.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Ali272 wrote:ILR grants are down more than 50% since 2012. So they need to double the fees, just to make the same amount.
This would explain a lot. In a normal situation, one would keep the price of a product/service fixed or reasonable and increase the number of sales in order to boost income. In an exploitative model such as this one, they want to reduce the number of sales (number of ILRs granted), but still want to make as much profit as possible hence the exponential growth of the ILR fee..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Ali272 wrote:ILR grants are down more than 50% since 2012. So they need to double the fees, just to make the same amount.
And the source of your statement above???
paradoxical wrote:This would explain a lot. In a normal situation, one would keep the price of a product/service fixed or reasonable and increase the number of sales in order to boost income. In an exploitative model such as this one, they want to reduce the number of sales (number of ILRs granted), but still want to make as much profit as possible hence the exponential growth of the ILR fee..
HO know there is 'demand' for their service/visas and as long as there is demand and people will pay (regardless of how everyone moans), they will increase the fees because they know people will pay to come here or stay.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:52 pm

CR001 wrote:HO know there is 'demand' for their service/visas and as long as there is demand and people will pay (regardless of how everyone moans), they will increase the fees because they know people will pay to come here or stay.
I agree with you and this scenario can very perfectly be explained by an exploitative model that I mentioned earlier. And that model can also perfectly explain a lot of other evil things that happen around the globe.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Does this take into account refusals? They keep the fees following refusals too. Moreover, if people who are refused reapply, then this effectively doubles the fees.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ali272
Member of Standing

Post by Ali272 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:56 pm

CR001 wrote:And the source of your statement above???
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... settlement

Only 59,009 were granted ILR IN 2016. I don't blame HO, They have the right to charge us whatever they want, taxpayers should not be funding UKVI. It is a once in a lifetime fee anyway.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:07 pm

CR001 wrote:They have the right to charge us whatever they want, taxpayers should not be funding UKVI. It is a once in a lifetime fee anyway.
UKVI should definitely not be making tax payers subsidise anybody's ILR..which won't be subsidised even if the ILR fee were a quarter of what it is at the moment.
Many people on this forum must have paid for their ILRs in the past and their fee was definitely not subsidised by the tax payers money.. and the only difference between those who paid much less than those who are going to pay magnitudes more is that of unfortunate timing where UKVI don't mind being exploitative

Pudding1
Newly Registered

Post by Pudding1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:26 am

paradoxical wrote:This would explain a lot. In a normal situation, one would keep the price of a product/service fixed or reasonable and increase the number of sales in order to boost income. In an exploitative model such as this one, they want to reduce the number of sales (number of ILRs granted), but still want to make as much profit as possible hence the exponential growth of the ILR fee..
Am thinking of moving to Germany and had a look at their requirements and fees
Application for the EU Blue Card - €150
Application for Naturalisation- €250

Germany wants to attract foreign talent. The UK wants to take the piss.

kiranphoenix
Newly Registered

Post by kiranphoenix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:33 am

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Pudding1 wrote: Am thinking of moving to Germany and had a look at their requirements and fees

The issue fully stems that a not insignificant lot are not what you would categorise as 'talent'

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:41 pm

seasky wrote:The issue fully stems that a not insignificant lot are not what you would categorise as 'talent'
This sentence makes no sense!

timco
Newly Registered

Post by timco » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 am

paradoxical wrote:
seasky wrote:The issue fully stems that a not insignificant lot are not what you would categorise as 'talent'
May not be good "English" but it does make sense, well I can get what they are driving at!

Anyway to the reason I am here trying to get to the bottom of the fees for the coming year, hopefully no longer matters to me thanks to advice on this forum corroborated elsewhere we reapplied earlier than planned, but others googling will get this thread close to the top when googling fees.

These are the current fees advertised by UKBA

This says no change.

Yet the person who runs the checking service in Dudley tells me that they have had notice that the fees are to rise to 2297 yesterday (06/04/17).

Having rechecked the form also now says £2297 so this is what it is I suppose. I guess the first link they will change it beginning of May, which is confusing but then who ever accused UKBA of being clear, honest, helpful and upfront.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -04-17.pdf

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:23 am

timco wrote:
paradoxical wrote:
May not be good "English" but it does make sense, well I can get what they are driving at!
I agree that the statement by seasky is not as non-sensical as may be thought.

Immigration is not an altruistic act, it is a business transaction. The UK (and most Western countries) needs people with the skills and talent to man specific industries, which in bring in wealth and income to the entire country. The Points Based System part of the Immigration Rules (particularly in contradistinction to the EEA Regulations/EU law, which allows anybody without regards to productivity to move around the EU) attempts to shape immigration into the UK to that result.

Yet, as seasky has mentioned, a significant percentage of people who are granted ILR are broadly from outside the PBS system, which is primarily talent-oriented.

Let's have a look at the Settlement statistics for January to March 2016.

Sheet SE02 suggests that over the past ten years, less than half of people granted ILR gain it on the basis of work visas. Almost as many people gain it on the basis of family formation, with asylum & "other" cases (most likely Long Residence cases) being the balance 15-20% of ILR grants. As an aside, it is interesting to see the number of parents/grandparents being granted ILR (the ADR route)-Row 28 of the Sheet SE02-falling drastically after the changes to that route in 2012.

I will also pick up on Vinny's comment on refusals earlier in the conversation. It is not improbable that part of the increase in fees may be to deter people from making frivolous applications on a repetitive basis to get to the 10 year Long Residence mark. A family of four (one main applicant and three dependents - a nuclear family) would fork out just under £10,000 for one application. At that price, you had better be very sure of the grounds of application. It is an amount of money you are unlikely to gamble on.
Pudding1 wrote:Am thinking of moving to Germany and had a look at their requirements and fees

Germany obviously has an abundant capacity to take in people. They have already taken in a million refugees in just one year. And now with the UK heading out of the EU, there is a good chance that Germany will become the destination to head to within the EU, especially given that on my many visits there, everybody has been fluent and at ease with English (unlike in France).
paradoxical wrote:
CR001 wrote:HO know there is 'demand' for their service/visas and as long as there is demand and people will pay (regardless of how everyone moans), they will increase the fees because they know people will pay to come here or stay.
I agree with you and this scenario can very perfectly be explained by an exploitative model that I mentioned earlier. And that model can also perfectly explain a lot of other evil things that happen around the globe.
Greed has been a human constant since the beginning of time and is unlikely to disappear simply because one does not wish it to exist. As regards the "exploitative" model, the economic way to explain it is that the UKV&I is in the market with an inelastic demand and limited supply (how many other countries would economic migrants head to (probably less than 10, counting the EU as one)?) The only way to bring the prices down would be if the people did shop around, by going to different countries to get permanent residencies if they failed in the UK.

But that would have its own disadvantages. You would be seen as having no loyalty to any country, but only to yourself. You would never be truly settled anywhere. You would have to start from scratch in each country you move to. You are likely to lose state benefits because you have never built any substantial benefits in one country. And while the super-rich can get away with it, not mere mortals like us.

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:07 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Yet, as seasky has mentioned, a significant percentage of people who are granted ILR are broadly from outside the PBS system, which is primarily talent-oriented.
Hang out a bit at T1 Entrepreneur forum and you will see an outsized impression of the absolute low quality of applicants in that route. One would think a business that hires 2 people at min wage for exactly a year is not what the UK had in mind when forming the route

(clearly with the closure of PSW and T1G, everyone wants to be an entrepreneur)

Mrchaany

Post by Mrchaany » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:49 am

Seasky you also choose this route to be British citizen or settle,
Strong commitment, extreme faith and honesty will recognize your existence.