ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for British citizen child born in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rarun53

Re: British passport for British citizen child born in India

Post by rarun53 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:44 am

yellowrose4u wrote:Congratulations Arun,

So in your opinion is it better to follow up with them every couple of weeks for the status of passport until it arrives ?
May not be necessary. But in my case they have exceeded the specified turn around time of 16 weeks. So i had to push hard on them to get the work done. The passport was issued after i made complaints at various levels.

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks Arun,

I have gone through the portal form, hope we need to select "Visit Visa" at the bottom dropdown and fill no of months.

I can understand the confusion regarding residence proof, will try to get a letter from my mother. Not sure about C-form. I will check with FRRO.

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:48 am

rarun53 wrote:
The Category to choose is NewVisa (which is entry visa to new born baby and you can request the duration as you like)

I am saying it because for the proof of address required if you are staying with your family or friends house is letter from the owner along with the id,address proof as per the website. But Chennai FRRO was insisting From-C to be filled from the landlord which is only required if you are staying in Hotel/Logde/commercial places as per the website.
It will be very helpful. Thank you!

I have few questions regarding this.

1. As you mentioned that we can request the duration for the New Visa to the new born child,
For example, if I request 1.5 years visa on the form, will it be an exit formality too when travel to UK after 10 months later and so.?

2.Since my family has permanent address in India, shall I get a letter from my mother for the address proof and do I MUST to fill the Form-C additionally (As I apply in Chennai FRRO)?

rarun53

Post by rarun53 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:00 pm

srivisaN wrote:Thanks Arun,

I have gone through the portal form, hope we need to select "Visit Visa" at the bottom dropdown and fill no of months.

I can understand the confusion regarding residence proof, will try to get a letter from my mother. Not sure about C-form. I will check with FRRO.
You should request for Entry Visa. The difference is below

The primary differences between Tourist and Entry visas are: Tourist visas have a limit of 180 days for each stay in India, regardless of overall visa length. The Entry visa does not, though you would need to register with the FRRO if staying over 180 days (registration not required for Child under 16 even after 180 days).

rarun53

Post by rarun53 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Macro_Run wrote: It will be very helpful. Thank you!

I have few questions regarding this.

1. As you mentioned that we can request the duration for the New Visa to the new born child,
For example, if I request 1.5 years visa on the form, will it be an exit formality too when travel to UK after 10 months later and so.?

2.Since my family has permanent address in India, shall I get a letter from my mother for the address proof and do I MUST to fill the Form-C additionally (As I apply in Chennai FRRO)?
1) No additional Exit formalities required - I will confirm as soon as i find
2) Again Can confirm after the form submission .

I am preparing docs and doing online application to apply next week at Chennai FRRO. Won't be too long before i have confirmed details. :)

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:13 pm

rarun53 wrote:
Macro_Run wrote: 1) No additional Exit formalities required - I will confirm as soon as i find
2) Again Can confirm after the form submission .

I am preparing docs and doing online application to apply next week at Chennai FRRO. Won't be too long before i have confirmed details. :)

Thank you very much Arun. Please share your info (list of docs & other procedures) once you have done it.
All the very best!.

rarun53

Post by rarun53 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:29 am

Update on Entry Visa -- New Born

Today my wife attended the appointment at FRRO-Chennai for getting New Visa - "Entry Visa". The visa has been granted within 1 hour after submitting the application. The have hand written the visa with details, Stamped a FRRO-Chennai seal on the passport and gave the passport back. The visa is multiple entry 1 Year visa. The fee is around 11k for the visa with a fine of 9k totaling around 21k including taxes. Card/cash payment accepted.

Appointment is for the duration of the application collection timings (09:30 to 14:30) on that day. So you can reach at your convenience. There will be a token system after which you have to submit all the documents (listed below). They asked my wife to wait for 1 hour without telling the reason. Then after they collected the passport again and completed the visa issuance.

All done under 2 hours. All the staff seems to be helpful.

Docs Submitted

Child

1) Online Application From Print out
2) Child Passport
3) Photographs
4) Birth Certificate
5) Request letter from Parents (Why you need visa and how long - Write in your own words addressed to FRRO, Both Parents Must sign- Scanned copy will do)

Parents

1) Mother Passport & Visa (Photo page,validity page, visa page, immigration stamp of last india arrival) Original + Copy
2) Mother OCI (Photo, Address Page) - Original + Copy
3) Father Passport & Visa (Photo page,validity page, visa page, immigration stamp of last india arrival) - Copy only if stays abroad
4) Father OCI (Photo, Address Page) - Copy Only if stays abroad

Address/Residence Proof

1) Landlord/Relative Letter(saying where they are staying and the reason for the stay) and Form C
2) Landlord/Relative Id proof (AAdhar/PAN/Voter ID)
3) Landlord Address/Owner proof (BSNL Telephone Bill/Property Tax/EB-Card)

Take 2 copies of each documents. Except passport/OCI/photographs/forms original all the documents are copy only.

Good Luck.

I will post the details of making your application in my next post. It is a lengthy and irritating process.

rarun53

Post by rarun53 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:43 am

If you are applying through Chennai FRRO Form C is compulsory. First do the form C registration before you start the application part.

Form - C

It is a 2 stage process.

Stage -1

First the owner of the property where you are staying (Your friend, parents etc) has to register their details and create an account.

https://indianfrro.gov.in/frro/FormC/menuuserreg.jsp

Click --> Sign up (Registration)

A short youtube video can help you through the registration --> Search "Online Form C and Form S user registration"

Once the registration is complete, the owner has to download the from, sign and send(scan copy only) to FRRO email id(chiochn@nic.in) along with ID proof (PAN Card, AAdhar etc)
and proof of ownership of the property (only BSNL Telephone Bill / EB Card (not the bill) / Property Tax) -- Again it may vary based on FRRO location.

Then the approval will take 2 working days before you can login. You will get an email once it is approved.
if you cannot login with original password try to rest the password( i had this problem)

Stage -2

Login to the Owner's Form C account and fill the details of the child using the first Link on the left.
You have to upload the same photo of the child again (with <50KB) and fill all the necessary details.
Same "Temporary Save and Exit" concept applies here. Note down the application reference (This will be diff to the visa application).
Once you are done submit. Once it is submitted then it cannot be Modified.

Then Click on Bulk print from main menu --> choose the date range --> find the application and print this.

Online Application

Step 1

Read the instructions on the below link. This is where you will find how hard/easy this journey is going to be.

https://indianfrro.gov.in/frro/

If you are happy then click - I have read the instructions.

Step 2

Click online Application Sumbission

https://indianfrro.gov.in/frro/menufrro ... g=6XSYYB57

Fill in Nationality, State, City/District
Choose Desired form ( New Visa or Exit Permit) Then click sumbit.

Step 3

Start Filling the Application form.

*******Important ********
--> Don't Click "Save and Continue" unless you have all the details filled in correctly and ready to go to the next stage.
Once you do that you cannot come back. You will have to start the new application again if you have to modify any details.
Instead do "Temporary Save and Exit" -- (Captcha Must be entered before you do this)

You MUST note down the application ID. If you forget to do that then go back to Step 2.

Right - You have temporarily saved and exited. How do i retrieve this application --????

I could not find anyway other than the one below.

Repeat Step 2. Once you have landed in a new application page, enter your saved application ID in
"If you have already filled the form partially, please type your Temporary Application ID" --> Go

Hooray. You have found your application.

Step 4

Fill all the mandatory details. I cannot explain every section here. So use your best guess to answer all the questions.
Don't think whether you have filled right or wrong and waste time. As soon as done now click "Save and Continue".

Step 5

Upload All the Doucments here. You must upload all the documents that you are going to sumbit at this stage including the photo of the child.
You cannot upload more documents once you go to the next stage.

Right -- Now the fun begins. How am I going to upload all doucments with <200KB? Don't panic. If you follow the steps below you will not have to
struggle much.

a) Photo Must be < 50 KB & Measurements should be 3.5cm X 3.5cm or 3.5cm X 4.5cm (White or light background).

The easy way to get the photo of the measurment is get the soft copy from the studio where you take the picture of the child. You should also get
the printed copies too.

Once you have the photo on your PC, Open the Microsoft Word (Yes it is word not paint) --> Insert --> Picture --> select the photo.

Then Right click and Resize (only if required, the Crop symbol). Once done then Select the compress picture (if you dont see this try again inserting )
compress picture --> Choose the 220 PPI then ok.

Then Save the word document. Then rename the word to .zip extension (i.e doc1.docx --> doc1.zip) ignore any warnings.

Then extract the zip file into a folder (say doc1).

Then go to doc1 --> word --> media --> you will find your photo nicely reduced under 50K.

you have to rename the extension of your photo from jpeg -> jpg (Our clever developer of the applicaion has added a where clause to check
and accept only if it is jpg not jpeg). If you don't do this your photo upload will fail.

b) All doucments must be PDF and < 200KB ( Only one doucment of any type)

If you have scanner at home then scan all the doucments with lowest resolution (ppi) as possible to reduce the size at first instance.
I am 100% sure you will have to go to my next tip. if not then you are a genius. If you don't have printer and taken copies using your phone find
nice scanner apps in the app store which will help you scan and generate the pdf/jpeg.

Download 2 softwares (free) or if you prefer online conversion sites you can use that.
1) PDF Sam Basic ( You can use this to merge, split, extract your PDF docs - Useful when you take multiple pictures and combine all pdfs into 1 pdf per category)
2) Free PDF compressor (Nice little application does the magic) -- > http://www.freepdfcompressor.com

There you go after 2 software your pdf will be < 200KB

If you dont achieve the result repeat step b

Step 6

Once all the documents are uploaded go and sumbit

Step 7

Book the appointment

Step 8

Attend the appointment and sumbit your application with uploaded documents copy

Finally - I won't be following this posts regularly anymore. So if you need to contact me send me an email. My gmail is same as my username.

Good Luck.

usama77
Newly Registered

Post by usama77 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi everyone
Did anyone got reply for march an application

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Final update
srivisaN wrote:
Status of parents: Father British ( through naturalization), Mother Indian
Passport application submitted at local VFS (VFS-UK office Hyderabad): 27-Jan-2017
Application Received at Liverpool Office Via DHL Courier - Not Sure, Hyderabad VFS Office forgot to send tracking number
Application Fee deducted: 01-02-2017 by CC
Letter from HMPO: 10-02-2017 (email telling UK checks completed, Overseas Checks pending, Possible Interview)
Passport interview: 16-Mar-2017
Passport Printed: 03-04-2017
Passport collected from local VFS : 11-04-2017

Thanks,
Sri.
Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions, without them we may not be able get the passport in such a short span of time.

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:51 pm

srivisaN wrote:Hi,

I have a UK Passport Video conference Interview in India next week, can anyone who went for interview from India please share their experience and any documents we need to carry.

Thanks,
Sri.
Thought of sharing my interview questions..

1. Tell me about your initial visa and entry into UK
2. How do you know each other before marriage
4. My full name, wife full name, DOBs, POBs
5. Date of Marriage and Marriage process
6. Child date of Birth, Place of Birth
7. Reason for choosing India for baby’s delivery
8. Husband, Wife Employer names
9. Wife and Husband travel details history
10. why we travelled separately some times
11. Baby’s care when we both go back to work
12. How, When I got citizenship
13. Child UK Passport application process
14. UK address in the past
15. Mother’s UK Visa and validity

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:53 pm

rarun53 wrote:Update on Entry Visa -- New Born

Today my wife attended the appointment at FRRO-Chennai for getting New Visa - "Entry Visa". The visa has been granted within 1 hour after submitting the application. The have hand written the visa with details, Stamped a FRRO-Chennai seal on the passport and gave the passport back. The visa is multiple entry 1 Year visa. The fee is around 11k for the visa with a fine of 9k totaling around 21k including taxes. Card/cash payment accepted.

Appointment is for the duration of the application collection timings (09:30 to 14:30) on that day. So you can reach at your convenience. There will be a token system after which you have to submit all the documents (listed below). They asked my wife to wait for 1 hour without telling the reason. Then after they collected the passport again and completed the visa issuance.

All done under 2 hours. All the staff seems to be helpful.

Docs Submitted

Child

1) Online Application From Print out
2) Child Passport
3) Photographs
4) Birth Certificate
5) Request letter from Parents (Why you need visa and how long - Write in your own words addressed to FRRO, Both Parents Must sign- Scanned copy will do)

Parents

1) Mother Passport & Visa (Photo page,validity page, visa page, immigration stamp of last india arrival) Original + Copy
2) Mother OCI (Photo, Address Page) - Original + Copy
3) Father Passport & Visa (Photo page,validity page, visa page, immigration stamp of last india arrival) - Copy only if stays abroad
4) Father OCI (Photo, Address Page) - Copy Only if stays abroad

Address/Residence Proof

1) Landlord/Relative Letter(saying where they are staying and the reason for the stay) and Form C
2) Landlord/Relative Id proof (AAdhar/PAN/Voter ID)
3) Landlord Address/Owner proof (BSNL Telephone Bill/Property Tax/EB-Card)

Take 2 copies of each documents. Except passport/OCI/photographs/forms original all the documents are copy only.

Good Luck.

I will post the details of making your application in my next post. It is a lengthy and irritating process.

Hi Arun, did they mention the reason for 9k fine

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Update on New Visa - Entry Visa

We have applied for Entry Visa on 14th April (11th day from UK passport printing date, hence no fine) at Visakhapatnam FRO.

Documents:
1. Parent's Passport 1 Copy (Details page, stamp showing last entry to India)
2. Child's UK Passport Original + 1 Copy (Details page)
3. Parent's Address/residence proof in India
4. Application fee: 120$ = 7800 INR as Challan (for 1 Year multi entry visa, for 6 months it is 80$)
5. Online application form (followed https://indianfrro.gov.in/frro/ to fill the application and upload docs)
6. 6 Passport size photos (W 3.5cm x H 3.5cm)
7. Covering letter from Parent
8. Child Birth Certificate copy

They processed the application in 1 week (including police verification at residence address) and child passport with hand written 1 year multi entry visa.

Tips for uploading docs:
1. For child passport photo I used mspaint properties of the image set to W x H to 3.5cm each (it was tricky a tricky part, but was lucky after few trails)
2. For PDFs size, I used MS snipper tool to capture desire passport/doc soft copies by reducing image size and then copy them to MS Word. Finally I exported the word file to PDF format (https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/downloa ... .aspx?id=7)

Thanks again everyone for your valuable suggestions.

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 am

Great. Thank you srivisaN.

Did you do the Form C process for your child's residence proof in India? If yes,

Did you process that before collecting the Passport or after collecting the Passport? why I am asking this we have to wait atleast 2 days to get an approval (for Form C) and then I can process other steps.

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:14 pm

No, they haven't asked about Form C here in my place.

I double checked with them if they need any documents from our parents about address proof. They just asked us to submit our Aadhar as address proof.

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 am

srivisaN wrote:No, they haven't asked about Form C here in my place.

I double checked with them if they need any documents from our parents about address proof. They just asked us to submit our Aadhar as address proof.

OK. Thank you very much srivisaN

kskjain
Newly Registered

Post by kskjain » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:36 am

Hi All

We are in the processing applying Child passport from India. Mother is the main applicant.

I have to travel back as soon as application is submitted. Do they retain all the original documents including Parents passports or return straight away ?

Thanks
Sam

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:50 am

kskjain wrote:Hi All

We are in the processing applying Child passport from India. Mother is the main applicant.

I have to travel back as soon as application is submitted. Do they retain all the original documents including Parents passports or return straight away ?

Thanks
Sam
They will give all the original documents back (return to you ) after the verification.
You should submit all coloured photocopies of the documents and child photos with family.
If you read this topic, you will get more information additionally.

vasanthkumar15
Newly Registered

Post by vasanthkumar15 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 am

Hi All,

I'm a British Citizen via Naturalisation and my Wife is an Indian National. We are expecting a baby this September and my wife is currently in India with her parents for the delivery. Please could someone kindly advise what are all the steps I need to take to get a British passport for my baby.

Thank you in advance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 15, 2017 10:13 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jagjit1234
Newly Registered

Post by Jagjit1234 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi Srivisan

Can you please tell me does hmpo notify once they dispatch the passport from uk to India? If yes then how do they notify??

I have attended the interview on 19 April and waiting for next update.

Regards

srivisaN wrote:Final update
srivisaN wrote:
Status of parents: Father British ( through naturalization), Mother Indian
Passport application submitted at local VFS (VFS-UK office Hyderabad): 27-Jan-2017
Application Received at Liverpool Office Via DHL Courier - Not Sure, Hyderabad VFS Office forgot to send tracking number
Application Fee deducted: 01-02-2017 by CC
Letter from HMPO: 10-02-2017 (email telling UK checks completed, Overseas Checks pending, Possible Interview)
Passport interview: 16-Mar-2017
Passport Printed: 03-04-2017
Passport collected from local VFS : 11-04-2017

Thanks,
Sri.
Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions, without them we may not be able get the passport in such a short span of time.

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Fri May 19, 2017 5:31 am

Hi Jagjit,

We have received a text with dhl tracking no, I assume it might be from DHL courier. That courier was sent to UK embessy in New Delhi.

You can always check the progress with HMPO helpline, we checked and confirmed the printing and postage of passport with HMPO helpine.

vapudi

Post by vapudi » Fri May 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Hello Friends,
Hope you are doing well. I am in a bit of confusion :( Hope you could share your thoughts on my situation.

I am British Citizen via Naturalization, born Indian, got UK Passport. I came to India, Tried to build a startup company but didn't go well. Meanwhile I got married, wife Indian, not traveled to UK earlier, has no Visa. She is pregnant now, expecting baby soon.

I would like to take my wife and the to-be-born baby to UK. To take my wife there, first I (British Citizen) need to go to UK, find a job, then apply for a dependent visa for my wife.

When it comes to baby, here are the doubts I have about the Baby's UK Passport application. Hope one of you, who have gone through similar situation, can offer me some guidance.

1. Should I apply for UK Passport/ Citizenship for my baby while I am here in India?
Does my presence necessary while applying for Citizenship at India (VFS) office or during interview?
Assume I stay in India until all VFS interviews get finished, do I need to prove my income to get baby's passport?

2. Shall I first go to UK, find a Job, then apply for baby's UK Citizenship along with dependent visa for my wife, at same time? Is it ok to apply for Baby's UK Passport after 4 months or should we apply immediately after birth?

3. For some, UK Passport application took more than 6 months. So is there an option which offers less duration? eg: 'Right of Abode'? I am now going to study about this though.

Can you please suggest the best option for me?

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards.

Jagjit1234
Newly Registered

Post by Jagjit1234 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi Vapudi,

1.You do not need to prove any income for your child's passport. After submitting the application you can go back to UK and give your UK contact details for interview and any communication as the child will be claiming citizenship based on your citizenship.

2. Spouse visa takes 60 days to process and will be given 30 days visa to enter UK and collect resident permit.Child passport takes 16 weeks to 6 months depending on how application progresses.So its better to apply for wife's visa after you have received child's passport.I have not come across any restrictions to apply within a given timeframe.

3.You will find some people in this forum who have received child's passport in 3-4 months as well. It depends on how well you prepare your application I guess.

Hope the above helps.

Regards

vapudi wrote:Hello Friends,
Hope you are doing well. I am in a bit of confusion :( Hope you could share your thoughts on my situation.

I am British Citizen via Naturalization, born Indian, got UK Passport. I came to India, Tried to build a startup company but didn't go well. Meanwhile I got married, wife Indian, not traveled to UK earlier, has no Visa. She is pregnant now, expecting baby soon.

I would like to take my wife and the to-be-born baby to UK. To take my wife there, first I (British Citizen) need to go to UK, find a job, then apply for a dependent visa for my wife.

When it comes to baby, here are the doubts I have about the Baby's UK Passport application. Hope one of you, who have gone through similar situation, can offer me some guidance.

1. Should I apply for UK Passport/ Citizenship for my baby while I am here in India?
Does my presence necessary while applying for Citizenship at India (VFS) office or during interview?
Assume I stay in India until all VFS interviews get finished, do I need to prove my income to get baby's passport?

2. Shall I first go to UK, find a Job, then apply for baby's UK Citizenship along with dependent visa for my wife, at same time? Is it ok to apply for Baby's UK Passport after 4 months or should we apply immediately after birth?

3. For some, UK Passport application took more than 6 months. So is there an option which offers less duration? eg: 'Right of Abode'? I am now going to study about this though.

Can you please suggest the best option for me?

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards.

Jagjit1234
Newly Registered

Post by Jagjit1234 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks for replying.

I attended the interview in London on 19th April and no updates after that. HMPO helpline says its going through examinations.

Hoping to get good news soon.

Regards

srivisaN wrote:Hi Jagjit,

We have received a text with dhl tracking no, I assume it might be from DHL courier. That courier was sent to UK embessy in New Delhi.

You can always check the progress with HMPO helpline, we checked and confirmed the printing and postage of passport with HMPO helpine.