ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test - preperation

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bond.boy203

Life in the UK test - preperation

Post by bond.boy203 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Has anyone taken Life in the UK test recently ? if you can provide any useful links or books based on which we can prepare and pass I would be very grateful.

Also wanted to understand how easy/difficult it is to pass this test with most recent version.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Life in the UK test - preperation

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:18 pm

You should use the official HO book.

https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/ ... in-uk-test

Not difficult if you read the book and use the test question apps.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:51 pm

There are a large number of websites which actually have the official book online for free. You just need to google life in the uk test and you will find them. These websites also typically have lots of online tests and you can practice. You will also find lots of applications for phone as well.
As a guide, the chapters in the book are:
Chapter 1 : The Values and principles of the UK
Chapter 2 : What is the UK?
Chapter 3 : A long and illustrious history
Chapter 4 : A modern, thriving society
Chapter 5 : The UK government, the law and your role
So you should expect all the online versions to have these 5 chapters.
I recently did the test, and I must have over-prepared. I read all the chapters and then practised for the last couple of days. I could do the actual test in less than 5 minutes (it was too easy!)
So my advise would be to read the whole book first (and don't worry if you forget stuff, that is natural). But then do ample practice tests and that should reinforce the content and help a lot.
Good luck!

pupulu

Post by pupulu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi,
I bought the Official Book almost a month prior to my test date but actually I and my Wife started reading the book just 3-4 days before the test.There are lot of free Mobile apps for practicing the Test. I read the book only once and then practiced the test on a number of mobile apps.
At the beginning one would feel it to be difficult to remember but once you start going though the test you will see that lot of the questions are repeated and you would start to remember the answers.
Some of them are tricky questions and some quite hard to remember example Dates and years and Names of important people and the associated great work they have done, Olympics Champions, Music directors etc etc. But do note that the actual Test is much easier.I completed the test in less than 5 min.
Although I did not get the score and the fact is no one gets to know the score as the test center does not reveal it but I believe I scored 100% and so did my wife.

Remember to take a address proof dated as near to the test date as possible. The test Center people are real pig Head. I did not had any problem with my stamped Lyods Bank Statement but my Wife had the Machine Printed Statement from Barclays which the test center did not accept in the beginning but finally allowed her to take the test on seeing her Driving Licence.

Mantra
Read, Practice, Read , Practice...

Wish you all the best

regards
P/S

mspr335

Post by mspr335 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:29 pm

I would suggest borrowing the book from your nearest library. most of the the libraries have Life in UK books . I have used the below book which I borrowed from local library.

I practiced the tests from the below link and passed the exam in february.

https://www.theuktest.com/life-in-the-uk-test/1

mck2010
Ghana

Post by mck2010 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 am

Hi ya do you have to take life in the uk test if you're on 6 years dlr on route to getting ILR? Please help

E44302

Post by E44302 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 am

I passed my test 20 days back. I studied the book just once. To be honest left some parts of it in between. I would recommend you read it at least once. Its good to learn the first few chapters about history and invasions. It helps you understand the dates and kings. After that its very simply actually.

There are 24 questions of which 10-12 you may already know even before preparing for it like when is Christmas, Boxing day, capital cities of UK, how many pence in pound etc. These are straightforward. You would know the answers. Preparation is for the remaining 12-14 questions which you will need to learn and study.

There are online websites like https://www.theuktest.com/life-in-the-uk-test/1 which have 48 sets with each having 24 questions. Last few days continously practice these sets. You should score at least 20 to 22 in these sets before the exams.

Questions may not be direct but can be rephrased. So you need to remember the question and the answer. I think good preparation is for 15-20 days everyday for an hour, also depends on the candidate and his brains. lol. For me I am no academician so I think I did for 20 days and all my free time I had downloaded free apps on the mobile and instead of playing games, I was doing the sets again and again.

All the best and dont worry. Its not hard at all if you prepare well. I got through my test in under 8 minutes and came out.

pupulu

Post by pupulu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:56 am

E44302 wrote: all my free time I had downloaded free apps on the mobile and instead of playing games, I was doing the sets again and again.
:D :D

mspr335

Post by mspr335 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am

mck2010 wrote:Hi ya do you have to take life in the uk test if you're on 6 years dlr on route to getting ILR? Please help
Yes. Life in UK is mandatory . only exemptions are below
(https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/ ... in-uk-test)
When you don’t need to take the test
You don’t need to take the test if you:

are under 18 or over 65
have passed it before - for example, if you’re applying to become a citizen and already passed it as part of your settlement application
have a long-term physical or mental condition - you must provide either a form or letter from a doctor confirming your physical or mental condition