ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU migrants will not be guaranteed EU rights for life

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rooibos
Member of Standing

EU migrants will not be guaranteed EU rights for life

Post by rooibos » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Sincere apologies if I feel compelled to quote the vile faké news site the Daily Express:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... hts-Brexit
Theresa May 'to REJECT call for migrants in Britain to be guaranteed EU rights for life
THERESA May is to reject a fresh demand from Brussels for EU migrants in Britain to be guaranteed EU rights for the rest of their lives, senior sources said today.

Leaked documents revealed that EU negotiators are preparing to open Brexit talks with an insistence that EU employment rights will continue in perpetuity for three million migrant workers already settled in the UK.

The move would guarantee pension rights and job security as well as maintaining controversial rules that mean foreign workers can claim child benefit for youngsters living overseas.

But a senior Tory source today insisted Mrs May will refuse the demands if she is returned to government after the general election on June 8.

The source said: "The Prime Minister has said Brexit is about taking back control of our money and our laws. This demand from the EU is not going to happen."

Is there a shred of evidence or just the usual Daily Express bullmanure?

secret.simon

Re: EU migrants will not be guaranteed EU rights for life

Post by secret.simon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:31 pm

First things first, let's calm down.

Remember that this will be an early part of the negotiations and in negotiations, both sides would eventually concede some things. Just like the statement from the EU that the ECJ will retain jurisdiction on laws governing EU citizens in the UK even after Brexit, this is also posturing.

Remember that until everything is agreed, nothing is agreed and that we will only know the future of EEA citizens in the UK in 2019. No point in panicking till then.

The likely outcome (based on UK history; as I have said before, this is not the first time that this has happened in the UK) is likely that EEA citizens in the UK on a specific date will continue to be governed by EU law till settled status (PR). They will then be treated as other settled people (ILR/Irish citizens) under UK law.

This set up is not unlike the system for non-EEA migrants. Generally, non-EEA migrants are treated as continuing under the same rules as when they entered or when they switched to a specific category of immigration. So, Tier 1 General migrants currently in the UK are still governed by rules in force in 2011, when the Tier 1 General route was closed to new applicants from outside the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Simon I was only asking if anybody can confirm the source of this document, not generating more useless speculation.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:40 pm

The Express are one of the worst dregs of British Society. I will not give much credence to what the say.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:39 pm

In addition to Obei's comment the paper might be using that headline to attract sale. But one thing am sure the PM will not wanted her name to be called the "economy wrecker" and for that alone she might agree on good term in the end.
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.