ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name after marriage in Indian Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

newbie.scott

Change of name after marriage in Indian Passport

Post by newbie.scott » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 am

Hi Friends

My wife who is Indian currently living in UK on spouse deepenety visa, wants to change her surname to my surname, as well as update her Indian passport with my name as spouse.

After checking out this link<https://www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=35#ch-marriage>, these are the docs I need to provide:

1) Application form(pform_1.doc) for a new Passport in changed name/surname.
2) Affidavit form(form_A-VII.docx) for change of name after marriage
2) 4 (four) recent Passport size
3) The current Passport along with photocopies, self-attested.
4) Original marriage certificate with a self-attested photocopy
5) Spouse original passport with self-attested photocopies (I guess this include my British,OCI, Previous Indian passports?)
Could you please clarify the following:

1) My marriage certificate is laminated, not sure if they accept laminated certificates?
2) In the affidavit form(form_A-VII.docx) there is a note suggesting to attest joint photograph of the couple by Notary Public with their signature and rubber stamp? Do you know if this is mandatory and where I can get this done?
3) Any other useful information I should know please? I am planing to apply personally at HCI London.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers
NS

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Re: Change of name after marriage in Indian Passport

Post by rajesh9pl » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:09 pm

Sorry I haven't done it myself but I know Marriage certificate is sufficient as proof to change wife's surname from maiden to husband's.

newbie.scott

Post by newbie.scott » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks Rajesh for your help.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:57 pm

All your queries answered in the link below:

https://www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=35

"Change of name subsequent to marriage / remarriage / divorce / death of spouse etc.

For change of name subsequent to marriage/ remarriage / divorce/ death of spouse etc., applicant will be required to apply for new Passport enclosing marriage certificate/death certificate/divorce decree, as the case may be, with the application.
Requirements:
•Application form for a new Passport in changed name/surname.
•4 (four) recent Passport size (2 inch x 2 inch) identical photographs showing frontal view of full face. Photographs should be in colour with white/off whitebackground.
•The current Passport along with photocopy having valid Visa or Residence Permit is required to be enclosed with photocopies of pages containing detailed passport particulars, Visa page and the page containing observation (s), if any (photocopies should be self-attested by the applicant). In case the latest Passport is additional booklet(s) issued to the original Passport, the additional booklet(s) plus the original Passport must be furnished.
Original marriage certificate with a self-attested photocopy and self-attested photocopies of Passport of the applicant’s spouse (original Passport to be shown at the time of submission of application),

or
Divorcees applying for a change of name are required to furnish the divorce decree authenticated by the Court (if the divorce decree is issued by the local UK Court, it should be apostilled by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office),

or
In case of change of name following death of spouse, photocopy of death certificate of the spouse (Original to be shown at the time of submission of the application),

or
Remarried applicants applying for change of name/change of spouse’s name will be required to produce the divorce decree (if the divorce decree is issued by the local UK Court, it should be apostilled by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office)/death certificate in respect of first spouse, marriage certificate from the Registrar of Marriages and photocopy of present spouse’s Passport (original passport to be shown at the time of submission of the application).
If the divorce decree or marriage certificate is issued by authorities (country) other than UK authorities, it is to be attested by the Indian Mission/Post in that country.
◦Prescribed fee

Time Frame for service: Normally 7 working days from the date of submission of application.
Note: The above are the general mandatory requirements. The applicant may be advised to submit some more documents, after scrutiny of the application at counters, on case to case basis.

Change of name – other cases

Applicants seeking to change first name or surname or both are required to place advertisements to that effect in a prominent newspaper of usual place of residence in the UK and in a prominent daily newspaper of area of permanent address in India. Original clippings of these advertisements (newspaper page) along with a Sworn Affidavit in the prescribed format are required to be furnished with the application. Since change of name affects the most important factor in identifying a person, for complete/substantial name change an applicant should furnish a note justifying the reasons for complete/substantial name change.

Requirements:
•Application form for a new Passport in changed name/surname.
•4 (four) recent Passport size (2 inch x 2 inch) identical photographs showing frontal view of full face.Photographs should be in colour with white/off white background.
•The current Passport having valid Visa or Residence Permit is required to be enclosed with photocopies of pages containing detailed passport particulars, Visa page and the page containing observation (s), if any (photocopies should be self-attested by the applicant). In case the latest Passport is additional booklet(s) issued to the original Passport, the additional booklet(s) plus the original Passport must be furnished.
•Original clippings of the newspaper advertisements (newspaper page).
•Sworn Affidavit in the prescribed format (please see the link ‘Forms’)
•A note separately written by applicant justifying the complete/substantial name change
◦Prescribed fee

Time Frame for service: Normally 7 working days from the date of submission of application.
Note: The above are the general mandatory requirements. The applicant may be advised to submit some more documents, after scrutiny of the application at counters, on case to case basis.

Addition/Deletion of Spouse’s name

For addition/deletion of spouse’s name, applicant will be required to apply for new Passport enclosing marriage certificate/death certificate/divorce decree, as the case may be, with the application.

Requirements:
•Application form completely filled in and signed.
•4 (four) recent Passport size (2 inch x 2 inch) identical photographs showing frontal view of full face. Photographs should be in colour with white/off white background.
•The current Passport having valid Visa or Residence Permit is required to be enclosed with photocopies of pages containing detailed passport particulars, Visa page and the page containing observation (s), if any (photocopies should be self-attested by the applicant). In case the latest Passport is additional booklet(s) issued to the original Passport, the additional booklet(s) plus the original Passport must be furnished.
•Original marriage certificate with a photocopy and self-attested photocopies of Passports of the applicant’s spouse (original passport to be shown at the time of submission of the application),

or
Divorcees applying for a change of name are required to furnish the divorce decree authenticated by the Court
(if the divorce decree is issued by the local UK Court, it should be apostilled by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office),
or
In case of change of name following death of spouse, photocopy of death certificate of spouse (original to be shown at the time of submission the application),

or
Remarried applicants applying for change of name/change of spouse’s name will be required to produce the divorce decree/death certificate in respect of first spouse, marriage certificate from the Registrar of Marriages and photocopy of present spouse’s Passport (original passport to be shown at the time of submission of the application)
If the divorce decree or marriage certificate is issued by other authorities (country) other than UK authorities, it is to be authenticated by the Indian Mission/Post in that country.
If either of the spouse is in India and holding passport, self-attested photocopies of the passport and original marriage certificate (along with self-attested photocopies) is required to be submitted along with the application for addition of spouse’s name.
◦Prescribed fee

Note: The above are the general mandatory requirements. The applicant may be advised to submit some more documents, after scrutiny of the application at counters, on case to case basis."

newbie.scott

Post by newbie.scott » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 am

OK Here is my experience, may be helpful to someone in similar situation.

I booked online appointment through HCI London for passport services, this is in February, now its taken over by VFS. So one should book through this link http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/ since March
Once appointment booking is confirmed, vfs sends an email to select a centre that is near to you.
Few things on re-scheduling appointment, check appointment status everyday morning at 9am,10am,11am and 12pm, you may get an early appointment.

I opted for goswell road london vfs center.

No matter if you got appointment at particular time, you need to go at least an hour early to VFS centre, because they re-issue a token again, so it is possible for someone who got appointment at 11am, may go early and see someone before, since you have an early token. Also there is always a big queue at vfs centre.

There is a photo booth, photo copying facility.

YOU NEED TO HAVE 2 RETURN SPECIAL DELIVERY ENVELOPES, I took only one royal mail special delivery envelope, so ended paying £14.00 extra

Regarding the application form, I downloaded it from HCI London website, but now these links are disappeared, meaning you may have to fill online application form now on, print and take it to vfs centre. In my case they took old HCI application form.

Documents I provided, for
1) Change of surname after marriage
2) Adding spouse name
3) Change of signature

1) Application form for a new Passport in changed surname
2) Both new signature, also old signature on the application form
2) Affidavit form for change of name after marriage, You should also keep a photo of the couple, size is like 2 passport size photos together. I didn't had one, but luckily i had my marriage photo with me, so cut it small and provided.
2) 4 (four) recent Passport size, (2*2 size)
5) Spouse original passport with self-attested photocopies (my British passport)
6) 2 royal mail special delivery envelopes

Totally it costed me £52 for passport + £20 for affidavit, £14.00 for an extra envelope + about £9.00 for VFS service charge.

HTH

Cheers
NS

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:53 pm

Good one. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience in detail. Definitely it will be helpful to anyone in similar circumstances.

£14 for envelope, did VFS use gold dusted glue or what! Daytime robbery.

indian_NB
Newly Registered

Post by indian_NB » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:47 pm

2) Affidavit form for change of name after marriage......

.... £20 for affidavit
hi

to change my wife's surname and therefore signature I would need to submit:

1. marriage certificate
2. change in name affidavit

the £20 for affidavit you mention that you paid at the VFS centre... is that for the notarization done by the India HCI thru VFS or did you get the affidavit notarized outside of it ?

an asap reply appreciated as the appointment with VFS is this friday

thanks in advance.

smrithi
Newly Registered

Post by smrithi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:52 am

hello all,
I have some doubts regarding change of name in the passport.when i first applied for Indian passport in India i submitted the necessary documents required for change of name:1)marriage certificate, 2)affidavit signed by notary which has my photograph with my husband and 3) news paper cuttings showing change of name.
I have been issued the passport the my husband name in my surname in 2005.now i need to renew my passport as the 10 yr period is finishing in July 2015.
As i was going through the online form it says "have you ever changed your name" so if i say yes to that question, then i will have to submit the documents mentioned on the website.it says the below

Note:
(i) The Deed Poll/Affidavit can be sworn before/attested by a Judicial Magistrate or Executive
Magistrate or Notary Public or can be sworn before/attested by the Passport Officer at High
Commission of India, London.
(ii) In case of change of name, applicant should insert advertisements in two reputed newspapers
(one local newspaper of the area in which he/she is residing and 2nd in newspaper of the area of
permanent address in India) and submit original newspapers at the time of applying for passport in
his/her new name.

So my main query is do i have to do it again in UK as in get it signed by notary public in UK, what about the newspaper cutting in the UK? though i have all the documents(affidavit) signed by Indian notary which was in the year 2005, along with the newspaper cutting of Indian newspaper.
I am totally confused if i have to make a new change of name poll deed in UK. Can anyone who has gone through this process please help.I need to apply by next two weeks.

GeetL

Post by GeetL » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here. My husband's surname has always been added as SINGH in his documents and his family surname has never been added in any of the official documents In his passport the surname field is blank and his full name XXX SINGH has been added in the first name field. This is giving us some problems in opening bank accounts etc. in the UK. The bank suggested completing a deed poll to correct this. We would like to add his family surname if we are going to change this by deed poll however he is on a spouse visa which means his BRP card will need to be changed. For his BRP card to be changed, his passport needs to have the change of name. My question is if he changes his name by deed poll in the UK, will this be sufficient to then apply for his name to be changed in his passport? OR will he have to complete an affidavit (by visiting the Indian embassy in London), arrange for his name change to be published in the news paper (India or UK?) then provide that as proof of change of name? Would this affect his spouse visa in any way? In effect what we are wanting to do is add the surname so the name would be XXX SINGH SURNAME.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm very confused as to how to go about this!

chazdeol4
Newly Registered

How do I add a surname to my Indian passport

Post by chazdeol4 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:49 am

Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could add my surname to my Indian passport. None of my previous documents have a surname, my birth certificate also only contains my maiden name. Can anyone give me advice please?

ctmuk
Newly Registered
India

Post by ctmuk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:57 pm

In the UK, in Dec 2017, this is what my spouse needed to change her surname in the passport (after marriage):
1) Application form - online
2) Affidavit
3) 2 recent passport size photo (Indian photo requirements - white background and 2x2 inches)
4) Current passport
5) Current passport photocopy
6) Marriage certificate*
7) Husband's passport*
8 BRP card*
9) Letter requesting for change of surname **
10)Letter requesting for adding husband's name in the passport **
11)One pre-paid, self-addresses special delivery envelope (or you can choose the service that VFS provide)

Marked *:
Take the original and self-attested copy. The VFS officer will check the originals, countersign the copies and return the original.

Marked **:
Addressed to CGI Birmingham or HCI London. Mention the documents that you are attaching.
You may need an additional letter if you are changing your signature.

Note:
This is what I needed/submitted. However, things may be different at different VFS offices.

gireeshajeera
Newly Registered
India

Post by gireeshajeera » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi,

i need to go for adding surname to my wife passport, can you help me on how to make affidavit as its one of the checklist ? where and how ? please help. thanks a lot.

Regards,
Gireesh

GeetL

Post by GeetL » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm

gireeshajeera wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 pm
Hi,

i need to go for adding surname to my wife passport, can you help me on how to make affidavit as its one of the checklist ? where and how ? please help. thanks a lot.

Regards,
Gireesh
Hi Gireesh,

I have been through the same. In the UK we prepared a deed poll through a Notary Public. We used the deed poll to advertise the name change in two newspapers in India - one local and one national. We also advertised in the nation newspaper in the UK. We used the name change adverts in all three papers to change the name with the Indian High commission in the passport. Please note that they kept our original deed poll so it would be advisable to get a certified copy. Apparently they keep these.

Hope this helps a little.

KhajaM
Newly Registered
India

Post by KhajaM » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:10 pm

Just a quick question on this - I'm in a similar situation wherein I'm looking to change the surname on my wife's Indian passport.

Did you get the "affidavit" attested by a Judicial Magistrate or a Notary? If so, how do you go about getting it attested?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards.
newbie.scott wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 am
OK Here is my experience, may be helpful to someone in similar situation.

I booked online appointment through HCI London for passport services, this is in February, now its taken over by VFS. So one should book through this link http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/ since March
Once appointment booking is confirmed, vfs sends an email to select a centre that is near to you.
Few things on re-scheduling appointment, check appointment status everyday morning at 9am,10am,11am and 12pm, you may get an early appointment.

I opted for goswell road london vfs center.

No matter if you got appointment at particular time, you need to go at least an hour early to VFS centre, because they re-issue a token again, so it is possible for someone who got appointment at 11am, may go early and see someone before, since you have an early token. Also there is always a big queue at vfs centre.

There is a photo booth, photo copying facility.

YOU NEED TO HAVE 2 RETURN SPECIAL DELIVERY ENVELOPES, I took only one royal mail special delivery envelope, so ended paying £14.00 extra

Regarding the application form, I downloaded it from HCI London website, but now these links are disappeared, meaning you may have to fill online application form now on, print and take it to vfs centre. In my case they took old HCI application form.

Documents I provided, for
1) Change of surname after marriage
2) Adding spouse name
3) Change of signature

1) Application form for a new Passport in changed surname
2) Both new signature, also old signature on the application form
2) Affidavit form for change of name after marriage, You should also keep a photo of the couple, size is like 2 passport size photos together. I didn't had one, but luckily i had my marriage photo with me, so cut it small and provided.
2) 4 (four) recent Passport size, (2*2 size)
5) Spouse original passport with self-attested photocopies (my British passport)
6) 2 royal mail special delivery envelopes

Totally it costed me £52 for passport + £20 for affidavit, £14.00 for an extra envelope + about £9.00 for VFS service charge.

HTH

Cheers
NS