ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surprised Brits

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vinny

Surprised Brits

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:55 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Re: Surprised Brits

Post by vinny » Sun May 15, 2016 1:50 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 15, 2016 1:57 pm

I read this in the Daily Mail yesterday and as much as I sympathise with a fellow Saffa, ignorance should not and cannot be an excuse, especially given that the media, political parties and government have for many years very publicly been pushing the facts about immigration and changes to immigration etc. UK papers are 'sensationlist', they don't report the full story usually.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 15, 2016 2:03 pm

Wonder when exactly did she enter the UK in 1962?

Was she granted settlement on entry?

Was she subject to Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962?

etc.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:16 pm

vinny wrote:Wonder when exactly did she enter the UK in 1962?

Was she granted settlement on entry?

Was she subject to Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962?

etc.
South Africa was not part of the Commonwealth in 1962.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Ah, yes.

So, in the absence of restrictive immigration acts, wouldn't that make it even more likely that the family was granted settlement at that time?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 15, 2016 11:33 pm

Also see South Africa Act 1962 (as enacted).

For the purposes of British nationality, South Africans only lost their status as British subjects/Commonwealth citizens on 31st May 1962. So, the date of the lady's entry into the UK may be quite relevant.

In any case, under that Act, South Africans in the UK could register as citizens any time before the end of 1965 and even, if they gave notice of intent of doing so before 1965, by the end of 1970. That was a lot of slack in the law at the time.

Also, at the time, citizenship was passed down solely through the father and it is possible that the lady in question did not have CUKC status or patriality from the father's side. But would it be possible for her to claim British citizenship through her mother's side now, if such a claim exists?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Mon May 16, 2016 8:41 pm

secret.simon wrote:Also, at the time, citizenship was passed down solely through the father and it is possible that the lady in question did not have CUKC status or patriality from the father's side. But would it be possible for her to claim British citizenship through her mother's side now, if such a claim exists?
Surely, not until 2026, if she's an illegal immigrant.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:53 pm

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:48 am

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 04, 2017 11:15 pm

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:51 am

Made this an 'announcement' vinny so that always at top of sub forum page for ease.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 am

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:01 pm

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:16 am

Man born in UK receives letter from Home Office ordering him to leave country
Shane Ridge has lived in the UK his entire life and thought he was a British citizen until last week.

He should be eligible to register under either Form UKF or Form T.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:27 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:16 am
Shane Ridge has lived in the UK his entire life and thought he was a British citizen until last week.

There was another article about another person today. What is annoying is that a lot of these articles don't get the fact right. I have even given up commenting on the articles.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:41 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:16 am

If his mother is British (by descent), then he's automatically British.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 pm

It's seems likely that his mother was settled or British or had the right of abode at the time of his birth in the UK.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:15 pm

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:19 am

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:07 am

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:52 am

FighterBoy

Post by FighterBoy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Horrifyingly there's no permanent record/register of settled persons, no way of knowing unless people keep old foreign passports locked away in a safe.

The consequences then pass onto their children born in the UK to foreign parents who can't prove their parent's status at the time of their birth.

Not a shred of concern in parliament, the media etc about the phenomenon of 'British floaters' without documents to prove their nationality.

It should be made simple - either being born here makes you British, or you need a British parent to be so. The torture in proving your parent's immigration status at the time of your birth must be ended. :x

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 am

Exasperated by possible destruction of evidence, with threats of fines for non compliance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:27 pm