ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French Voters Reject extremism/hate, the effect on Brexi

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Obie
Ireland

French Voters Reject extremism/hate, the effect on Brexi

Post by Obie » Mon May 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Like the Austrian, and the Dutch, the french have rejected the hate and extremism associated with FN.

In a landslide, Macron was voted in as the New president of the republic. Unlike with Brexit where the voice of hate and extremism prevailed. Monsieur Macron show that voice of decency, tolerance and hope can indeed win the day.
We look forward to a better europe with the progressive and advance vision of Macron.

I support his vision on Brexit and Europe, and his views on the Le Touquet agreement.

It is shameful to read the things uttered by Leave.UK about him.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Re: French Voters Reject extremism/hate, the effect on Brexi

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Politico.EU - 5 takeaways from Emmanuel Macron’s win in France wrote:it will be interesting to watch what lessons the new president will draw from his paradoxical victory.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Obie's observation rendered in a cartoon.

World’s cartoonists on this week’s events
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat May 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Well i guess one does not really need a Cartoon to tell that the notion of Trump and Brexit was an anglosphere anomaly.

Trump's minority success was based on false promises and hate, which the minority of Americans who voted for him are beginning to see clearly through.

Brexit was pure hate and false promises, which has not and will not materialise.

In my opinion both will end in tears. However unlike Trump whom I believe will be impeached in the next couple of years, Brexit is here to stay, and generations will face the consequences.

Therefore Brexit was a much bigger gamble and risk than Trumpism. There are many safeguards , checks and balance in America to stop Trump, whereas little exist to contain Brexit Zealots in the Tory party.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Tue May 16, 2017 4:45 pm

I have to disagree with Obie. I have the feeling the French voted for Macron because they genuinely liked the guy rather than to repel Marine Le Pen.

It was in the early 2000 if I'm not wrong that they voted Chirac because they didn't want Le Pen (father).

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 pm

rooibos wrote:I have the feeling the French voted for Macron because they genuinely liked the guy rather than to repel Marine Le Pen.
I disagree with the above and think Obie is correct in that the French result was the vote against populism.

The French, never at a loss for a bon mot, apparently referred to the choice between Macron and Le Pen as a choice between the plague and cholera, though it was unclear as to which was which.

We will soon (11th and 18th June) see, in the French legislative elections, how much his specific platform, of reforming the French economy, is supported by the wider French populace.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Bloomberg View: The Populist Wave Hasn't Crested Yet wrote:Liberals worldwide seem to have concluded, with a collective sigh of relief, that Macron’s emphatic victory is a sign that the global “populist” wave has peaked, and that time is on their side. Such optimism is premature.
There was an interesting quote on BBC Radio 4 a couple of days back (can't remember the program though); that in 1983, Labour tilted left (the longest suicide note in history, of which there are eerie echoes in this year's Labour manifesto), while Margaret Thatcher tilted to the right, thus giving space in the center for the SDP. In this year's election, while Labour is moving to the left, Theresa May is moving "left, right and center".

While her immigration policies are relatively to the right of her immediate predecessor, her financial and social policies have a distinct centrist tone. She has been called "Red Tory" in the same way as Blair was called "Blue Labour". In an ironic twist, she may be considered the true heir to Blair in capturing the centre ground in British politics and it can be argued that while she is populist in immigration matters, in other policies she is a centrist a la Macron. I also hope this is a lesson to the membership of the Labour party; the only way to a landslide in British politics is by being as centrist as possible.

Even when it comes to immigration, the decision to leave the EU predates her premiership. It can be argued that she is merely implementing a decision taken elsewhere (in the referendum). As for people disingenuously arguing for a soft Brexit, a soft Brexit is no Brexit. All we lose is a seat at the EU table. We would still be subject to laws made in Brussels, subject to rulings from a court of a transnational legal background and still with no control of immigration, which was the topic that most people felt motivated to voted for (or against). Effectively, a soft Brexit is no Brexit at all. In that sense, TM's tending towards a hard Brexit is understandable. Even the EU has emphasised that the alternative to a hard Brexit is no Brexit.

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Mon May 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Simon, you're quoting third hand information. Give the guy a rest. He got more than 60% of the votes. How long can you bang on discreting him?

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Sun May 28, 2017 12:57 pm

:mrgreen: lol it was vote against hate everyone in france knows it just talk to french people mate fairly easy ..

le pen is France hate embodied , no office fitness , No manifesto and it;s not the first time it happens in france..all parties called to vote for Macron to block extremism.
She also offered FR exit referendum which was also rejected ...
FYI Macron lovers are approx 25-27 % of france they voted for him ) and current polls show the same level of support