ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do dual EU-UK citizens have rights under EU law?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 am

The reference was made in March 2016 and the hearing is apparently due to take place in May 2017, according to Counsel instructed in the cases Mr Parminder Saini
Case page

Update > judgment, 9A
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Do dual EU-UK citizens have rights under EU law?

Post by Obie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Great Vinny. Thought we had a sticky on this Lounes case, and the Transitional provision following Mccarthy.

It is very helpful and will be useful for many affected people.

Good thing is that their policy has confirmed that an EEA national who secured Citizenship after sponsoring family member will continue to be eligible to support that family member until they earned PR status.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:07 am

Obie wrote:Great Vinny. Thought we had a sticky on this Lounes case, and the Transitional provision following Mccarthy.
We may have had. But there was a period when there were problems with the database. Many sticky topics apparently got unstuck.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 16, 2017 8:52 am

pochaco wrote:Case could mean EU citizens who become British citizens and keep dual nationality may be unable to bring family members to UK.

Toufik Lounes case heard. The preliminary opinion of the advocate general of the European court is due on 30 May, with the Grand Chamber’s judgment to be published in the summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw

salu
Newly Registered

Post by salu » Tue May 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Obie wrote:Good thing is that their policy has confirmed that an EEA national who secured Citizenship after sponsoring family member will continue to be eligible to support that family member until they earned PR status.
Whose (and which) policy are you referring to, Obie? Do you have a reference/link for this? Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 17, 2017 12:40 am

Probably, Obie was referring to the transitional provisions:
Obie wrote:the Transitional provision following Mccarthy.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 am

I was referring to THIS POLICY DOCUMENT, that one of our moderator colleague had drawn my attention to a while back.

marcsiga

Post by marcsiga » Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 am

I was hoping that this case could help those eea family members as well who got their RC after 2013 and their sponsor become Dual National.

Do you guys think there is a hope for us as well? Or only for the people who had their RC before the McCarthy case?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 am

Of course there's hope, as the case hasn't been decided yet.

marcsiga

Post by marcsiga » Wed May 17, 2017 10:34 am

Thank You Vinny, then we are just keep on waiting a praying for the positive decision. Can't wait for the 30th May.
I think I talk on behalf of many people when I say that this decision would make a very big difference to our life and would take us out of the misery.

anic00
Newly Registered

Post by anic00 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 pm

"The preliminary opinion of the advocate general of the European court is due on 30 May, with the Grand Chamber’s judgment to be published in the summer." (Guardian)

Let's say the court rules in favor of allowing dual EU-UK citizens to have rights under EU law.. (hypothesis)

When will this change take effect from? Immediately after the publication? Or do we need to wait for the Home Office to amend their procedures accordingly?

Thanks

Khaled31000
Newly Registered

Post by Khaled31000 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:34 pm

Hey guys
My wife she is British with british passport and irish 4 years ago I applied for a EEA family member it was 2012
And they give me 5 years visa and 1 month ago I was coming from from back home me and my wife and my son so.my wife she give the immigration officer her british passport so the officer said that I'm not entitled for EEA family member so after 1 week home office send letter that they cancelled my visa can you please advise me thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Can you give exact dates of your applications and results in 2012? The transitional provisions may protect you, if the upcoming court judgment does not.

Khaled31000
Newly Registered

Post by Khaled31000 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:31 pm

vinny wrote:Can you give exact dates of your applications and results in 2012? The transitional provisions may protect you, if the upcoming court judgment does not.
It was 15/9/2012 And they give me 5 years visa

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 24, 2017 1:34 pm

I think the transitional provisions protects you.

Khaled31000
Newly Registered

Post by Khaled31000 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:38 pm

vinny wrote:I think the transitional provisions protects you.
I don't know what is mean but I done the appeal and I'm waiting for that court date

Khaled31000
Newly Registered

Post by Khaled31000 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Khaled31000 wrote:
I don't know what is mean but I done the appeal and I'm waiting for that court date
Can you please explain to me what is mean thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 24, 2017 10:25 pm

You seem to satisfy 9(3)(b ), etc.?

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Thu May 25, 2017 10:30 am

Khaled31000 wrote:
Khaled31000 wrote:
Can you please explain to me what is mean thanks
Vinny is referring to the Transitional Provision put in place in the UK after the ECJ's McCarthy ruling (McCarthy Transitional Provision). For you the two critical dates are:
16 July 2012 - on this date did you have a right to reside in the UK as the family member of an EEA national? It appears you did.
16 October 2012 - on this date did you either have an EEA Residence Card already, or had you applied for one? You say you either had one or had applied for one on 15 Sep 2012 (you weren't very clear) so in either case, you meet this criterion as well.

Therefore you are protected by the McCarthy Transitional Provision, and the fact your spouse became a UK citizen has no effect on you at all. The Home Office was wrong to rescind your residence card. You could apply for another one, making VERY clear in a cover letter that you fall under the McCarthy provision, and that the cancelation of your previous RC was contrary to UK law. Or you could go through the courts to seek redress, but I know nothing about that.

pochaco

Post by pochaco » Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 am

https://www.ft.com/content/a50ef5d0-0fe ... 5af5bb7f81

ECJ advocate general issues opinion against UK on non-EU residency rights

Non-EU nationals may be given the right to reside in a member state in which an EU family member lived before the family member acquired the nationality of that country, a legal adviser to Europe’s highest court has said.

A non-binding opinion of the advocate general in the European Court of Justice argues against Britain’s application of rules in the case of an Algerian national who married a woman who had Spanish nationality before she took UK nationality.

The case, which will now go forward for a binding ruling of ECJ judges, centres on complicated EU citizenship rights that will feature heavily in the opening phase of the Brexit negotiation that begins next month.

pochaco

Post by pochaco » Tue May 30, 2017 10:42 am

Khaled31000
Newly Registered

Post by Khaled31000 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:33 am

So it mean if you are married to british/European you have right to apply for EEA family members visa??????

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Khaled31000 wrote:So it mean if you are married to british/European you have right to apply for EEA family members visa??????
Not so fast. It was only the opinion of the Advocate-General assigned to the case. It will now be decided by the whole Court, which will give a judgment that will be passed onto the High Court in London. At that point, it becomes a part of UK law.

The opinion (which is not a judgment yet) is surprisingly nuanced for one originating from Luxembourg. It agrees with the UK government that a dual EEA/UK citizen can not rely on Directive 2004/38/EC, even by analogy, in bringing their non-EEA family members to the UK. It does find grounds for family reunion in the Treaties and therefore confers derivative right of residence on such family members. Crucially, permanent residence is a concept under the Directive, while derivative rights of residence, such as Chen and Zambrano, do not carry a right of permanent residence or to retain residence in case of divorce.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue May 30, 2017 12:55 pm

secret.simon wrote:
The opinion (which is not a judgment yet) is surprisingly nuanced for one originating from Luxembourg. It agrees with the UK government that a dual EEA/UK citizen can not rely on Directive 2004/38/EC, even by analogy, in bringing their non-EEA family members to the UK. It does find grounds for family reunion in the Treaties and therefore confers derivative right of residence on such family members. Crucially, permanent residence is a concept under the Directive, while derivative rights of residence, such as Chen and Zambrano, do not carry a right of permanent residence or to retain residence in case of divorce.
Your reading of that opinion appears at variance and antonymous to mine. It seem contrary to the opinion itself.

Yes the Advocate General imply that the directive should be read by analogy and confer right on the EU national who has naturalised to British Citizen through Article 21 of the Treaty.

It applies surinder singh in a less restrictive form to O B case 456/2012.

pochaco

Post by pochaco » Tue May 30, 2017 12:57 pm

secret.simon wrote:It does find grounds for family reunion in the Treaties and therefore confers derivative right of residence on such family members. Crucially, permanent residence is a concept under the Directive, while derivative rights of residence, such as Chen and Zambrano, do not carry a right of permanent residence or to retain residence in case of divorce.
Are you saying that even if the ECJ follows the lines of the Advocate General, the non-EU spouse of a dual EU-British citizen will never acquire PR, and as a consequence never will be able to apply for British citizenship?