ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR--> gerenal Parliament Voting right

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pupulu

ILR--> gerenal Parliament Voting right

Post by pupulu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi,
I am an Indian national holding UK ILR. I had received the Voting card for the June 8th General Parliament election.
I called the Electoral Office to confirm if I can vote. The lady unconvincingly responded that I can.

I am still not sure if I am eligible.

Any advice on my eligibility to Vote.

regards,
P/S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR--> gerenal Parliament Voting right

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Yea you can, you are a commonwealth citizen which allows you to vote.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

pupulu

Post by pupulu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks CR001

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:47 am

To clairify, it is not the ILR, but your status as a Commonwealth citizen that gives you the right to vote.

All Commonwealth citizens in the UK on a non-visit visa have the right to vote. So, an Indian citizen on a Tier 1 E visa, a Pakistani on a spouse visa and a Nigerian student all have the right to register to vote. An American or Chinese ILR-holder does not.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.