ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Replying to older posts

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Muira
United States of America

Replying to older posts

Post by Muira » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:24 pm

I was advised by Casa in the US & UK dual nationality thread that I shouldn't have dug up an older post by replying to it, and that the member who posted it hadn't been around for a while.

I remember seeing a separate thread and another mod replied to a saying that there were already many related posts to that subject and there wasn't need to post yet another thread about it.

Please could I ask for further information about this? Is this a difference of ways of working among the different mods?

Casa

Re: Replying to older posts

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:55 am

1. There is little point in posting advice for a member who hasn't visited the forum for over 1 year and the thread has been inactive since then.

2. Threads which have been inactive for a year or more frequently contain information which is out-of-date. In one recent example the inactive thread was 7 years old and referring to the Immigration Rules in 2010, which were significantly changed in July 2012.!

3. Moderators simply don't have the time (or the will) to check through these old resurrected threads to check for advice which is no longer relevant.

4. Digging up very old threads clutters the forum with no real purpose if the OP has been absent from the forum for a considerable length of time.

5. I'm guessing that your example of a Moderator asking you not to open a new thread was due to the existing thread on the particular immigration issue still being active. Unless you can post a link, I'm unable to comment further.

As a new member, you may find the guidance in this link helpful, especially point 12:
announcements/read-me-getting-started-t ... 24804.html
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:08 am

Thank you for pointing me to point 12 of the Top 25 FAQ's, I did find it helpful.

One bit of information that I've been unable to locate in the FAQ's; however, is how to see whether a member is inactive. For this case, is it because the person who started that threat had only made that one post and they joined some time ago?

I want to make clear that I'm not trying to be obtuse, or trying to cause annoyance, but this forum is different from forums I've posted on in the past, as stated in the post read before you post / netiquette / choosing your title by ca.funke. I'm not able to click on members' usernames to see their information, or perhaps not yet.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:18 pm

If you click on a members topic, to the right of the page it shows their username, how many posts they have made and date they joined the forum (assuming you are on a computer and not a mobile device)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:58 pm

I'll try viewing the site through computer as opposed to my mobile.

Thank you CR001.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:12 pm

On that point, is it possible for the IT Admins, as opposed to the moderators, to look into the possibility of automatically locking threads that have not been updated for a period of say one year? That should prevent such an issue from reoccurring.

It may be, if possible, be desirable for the OP to be able to unlock such automatically locked threads. But even in the absence of such an ability (of the OP being able to unlock threads), s/he can link to his/her older threads in a newer thread if there were any updates.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:42 pm

In response to secret.simon, it seems like when people post a duplicate post, or nearly duplicate, the moderators ask the people to update their previous post, or is that when the initial post is recent?

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:17 pm

An example of
when people post a duplicate post, or nearly duplicate, the moderators ask the people to update their previous post, or is that when the initial post is recent?
is general-uk-immigration-forum/removal-of ... 32455.html

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:13 pm

The member already had an active thread running which gave a background to his situation.

If a member opens multiple threads relating to their request for help, it means other members have to trawl through the forum to glean the relevant information in order to advise.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:59 pm

An example of a poster giving relevant information in a different topic.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:25 pm

That's understandable, Casa; and I can see how frustrating it can be for others who wish to help the person.

Thank you vinny for giving an example. That was helpful.