ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absences, Indefinite Leave to Remain and Citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rajeshbhanu
Newly Registered

Absences, Indefinite Leave to Remain and Citizenship

Post by rajeshbhanu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Dear All,

1) According to an immigration consultant who contacted a Senior Caseworker in the Home Office, the allowable absences over a 5-year period for Indefinite Leave to Remain are 225 days or 45 days "on average" per year. That is exactly 6 months (180 days) + 45 days.

She also mentioned that the Home Office will release new guidance to reflect this.

2) The consultant mentioned that the day of departure and the day of arrival do not count as absence from the UK. So, for example, a one week holiday outside the UK counts as 5 days absence, as opposed to 7 day. And only actual absences (i.e. excluding days of departure or arrival) need to specified in the ILR application form (SET (O) etc.).

3) According to the Guardian newspaper, the new changes for British Citizenship iproposed n the Green Paper Changes "will apply to new arrivals after the new laws are passed, and not to foreigners already living in the UK, so reforms are only likely to affect migrants arriving from 2010." (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008 ... mmigration). In fact, the Green Paper itself refers to "newcomers" which seems to mean these changes will not apply to existing immigrants but only to those who come to the UK after the law is implemented.

Could anyone confirm if (1), (2) and (3) above are correct?

Thank you so much,
Rajesh
Last edited by rajeshbhanu on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:06 pm

that sounds right

rajeshbhanu
Newly Registered

Post by rajeshbhanu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks alot for your reply.

Could you please elaborate further? Have you heard any news or information about (a), (b) and (c)?

Best,
Rajesh

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:45 pm

rajeshbhanu wrote:Thanks alot for your reply.

Could you please elaborate further? Have you heard any news or information about (a), (b) and (c)?

Best,
Rajesh
No there is nothing more to elaborate on

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

The first two points are already widely known.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

kariarxy

Re: Absences, Indefinite Leave to Remain and Citizenship

Post by kariarxy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:14 pm

[quote="rajeshbhanu"]Dear All,

1) According to an immigration consultant who contacted a Senior Caseworker in the Home Office, the allowable absences over a 5-year period for Indefinite Leave to Remain are 225 days or 45 days "on average" per year. That is exactly 6 months (180 days) + 45 days.

She also mentioned that the Home Office will release new guidance to reflect this.

Lot of members in this forum emphasize the absence should not exceed 6 months (180 days) rather than 225 days! How did you know the allowable absence is 225 days?

agileflower
Newly Registered

Post by agileflower » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:48 am

It is more point 3 that worries me. As it stands if I continue my divorce this legislatin will come into effect 24 days (assuming april 1) before I can apply - and there is no 'bucket' I'd fit into. I am going to try to putmy divorce on hold and apply in two months - I am v worried and do not trust that those like me (who have never been on benes but who wont fit the apparent ideal image of a British Citizen - a married person or someone with very high skills) wont get the boot

kariarxy

Post by kariarxy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:47 pm

VictoriaS wrote:The first two points are already widely known.

Victoria
Hi, Victoria, do you mean that 225 days allowable absence is widely know? In this forum, it seems everybody tries to emphasize absence not exceeding 6 months according to Annex F