ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is ILR Set (M) an option?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

uchida

Is ILR Set (M) an option?

Post by uchida » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi Guys,
I have scoured through the forum but couldn't find an answer to my question, so I'm hoping if I post it, someone might be nice enough to give an answer. Furthermore, I hope this is on the right forum.

My best mate currently has a 5 year stay as a refugee. He is due to renew to ILR late next year. He has been living with his partner (who is British) since 2012, and HO are fully aware of their relationship. He is wondering ; if he marries his partner, can he apply for ILR (Set M) bearing in mind that he already has a 5 year permit, of which he has almost exhausted the 5 years already, or will he have to start all over again on the "marriage route"?

Looking forward to responses.

Cheers.

vinny

Re: Is ILR Set (M) an option?

Post by vinny » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 pm

Probably start all over again.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

uchida

Post by uchida » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:08 am

vinny wrote:Probably start all over again.
Thanks Vinny for your quick response. I also suspected that he'll have to start all over again, be my mate pointed out that part of the requirements of a Set(M) application is that, the applicant has to have been in a relationship akin to marriage with his partner and cohabiting for at least 2 years prior to the application. He has been cohabiting with his partner for just over 5 years. Does that count for anything?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:00 am

No. The applicant must have appropriate leave under Appendix FM for at least 5-years first, before being eligible for SET(M).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:05 am

Your friend is confusing this with the requirements for an Unmarried Partner application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

uchida

Post by uchida » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Cheers for the responses - Vinny and Casa- I appreciate your help.