ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC query for applicants with British wife

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

revanth667

BC query for applicants with British wife

Post by revanth667 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Dear All,

I have a query regarding British Citizenship Application.

I was recently granted ILR in May 17. I am marrying my partner who is a British Citizen at the end of this month. While browsing through this page I have noticed that if the ILR holder's spouse has British citizenship, we don't need to wait for 12 months post ILR approval? Could anyone please advise?

Also my partner will be taking my surname. Do I need to wait until surname is updated on her passport and then apply if I'm eligible?

Or does the rules doesn't apply to me because I'm getting married after my ILR approval date?

Thanks
R

Casa

Re: BC query for applicants with British wife

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:48 pm

revanth667 wrote:Dear All,

I was recently granted ILR in May 17. I am marrying my partner who is a British Citizen at the end of this month. While browsing through this page I have noticed that if the ILR holder's spouse has British citizenship, we don't need to wait for 12 months post ILR approval? Could anyone please advise? Correct, providing you meet all the standard requirements, including permitted absence and good character.

Also my partner will be taking my surname. Do I need to wait until surname is updated on her passport and then apply if I'm eligible? No

Or does the rules doesn't apply to me because I'm getting married after my ILR approval date? See comments above.

Thanks
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

revanth667

Post by revanth667 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Casa wrote:

I was recently granted ILR in May 17. I am marrying my partner who is a British Citizen at the end of this month. While browsing through this page I have noticed that if the ILR holder's spouse has British citizenship, we don't need to wait for 12 months post ILR approval? Could anyone please advise? Correct, providing you meet all the standard requirements, including permitted absence and good character.

Also my partner will be taking my surname. Do I need to wait until surname is updated on her passport and then apply if I'm eligible? No

Or does the rules doesn't apply to me because I'm getting married after my ILR approval date? See comments above.

Thanks
Thanks for your quick reply Casa. The other question is if I apply for BC through NCS, can I travel to India with my Indian passport and ILR BRP until the decision is made?
R

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:13 pm

revanth667 wrote:
Casa wrote:

Thanks
Thanks for your quick reply Casa. The other question is if I apply for BC through NCS, can I travel to India with my Indian passport and ILR BRP until the decision is made? Yes. You won't hold British citizenship until you have attended your citizenship ceremony.
Do ensure that you are in the UK when you are asked to give your biometrics.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.