ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query about British born daughter registered as Indian

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bruceb

Query about British born daughter registered as Indian

Post by bruceb » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:34 am

hi seniors
Hope you can help me, I had previously registered my UK born daughter as Indian citizen (birth certificate), she was born after we got settlement (ILR) in UK, she has never travelled anywhere outside UK so far. I had some personal circumstances which triggered me to return to India, and with an intention to get a Indian passport I made this mistake and got her registered. Now I've changed my mind, things are okay personally so we are all planning to get British citizenship, so my question is she will be still eligible to get a UK passport but will she be denied an OCI or any other Indian visa? do I need to surrender her Indian citizenship etc? please can you guide me?

Thanks
Bruce

vinny

Re: Confusion

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:39 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

bruceb

Re: Query about British born daughter registered as Indian

Post by bruceb » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks Vinny for your response..

secret.simon

Re: Query about British born daughter registered as Indian

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:03 am

As she was born in to the UK to a parent who already had ILR and is registered as an Indian citizen, she is a dual British & Indian citizen.

She can retain both citizenship until the first of two events occur
a) She (or her parents) apply for a British passport.
b) She reaches the age of 18 and does not renounce her British citizenship.

When the first of these two events occurs, she will lose her Indian citizenship automatically. Her British citizenship is unimpaired.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.